DiS Top 100 Films of the 21st Century (so far) (I love theo)

watched my first indiana jones film today (raiders). was alright. was quite surprised when it went all cronenberg with the melting nazis at the end - thought it was supposed to be a family film!

NOT a 21st century film

1 Like

ah shit wrong thread.

I liked John Wick far more than I was expecting.

4 Likes

my pal bought me Bee Movie for my birthday so I’ll be watching that today. i have high expectations.

wrong thread

4 Likes

Watched a few of these over Christmas off the back of folk’s recommendations. Pretty much all at least good :+1:

A Ghost Story - mentioned this up ^there. Strangely affecting. 8/10

Leave No Trace - great central characters. Maybe not as blown away as I was expecting to be having read the reviews. 8/10

Black Panther - good for a superhero film but not necessarily my kind of thing. 7/10

Moonlight - was expecting to be blown away. Was blown away. The third act was amazing. 9/10

Melancholia - had pretty much given up on LVT films because of the reasons, but this was decent. The opening sequence was amazing. Kirsten Dunst was great in this. 7/10

Inside Out - amazing. 9/10. Kids in peril is my absolute kryptonite in films, but turns out that kids being sad might be even worse. Probably didn’t help that I watched this with my two on New Year’s Day with a hangover. That said, the bit that really got me !!!SPOILER AHEAD!!!

The bit where her imaginary friend disappears in the lost memories. Fucking hell M9s :disappointed_relieved:

Going to carry on working through the ones I haven’t seen :+1:

6 Likes

Still got 13 left to watch, I didn’t think there was that many.

Still Walking
Toni Erdmann
Manchester by the Sea
The Florida Project
Melancholia
Red Road
Leave No Trace
Hereditary
Beau Travail
The Orphanage
Slow West
Werckmeister Harmonies
A Ghost Story

Definitely watch these back to back, thank me later.

2 Likes

Never a wrong thread to talk about Bee Movie

6 Likes

What a fucking insane film

5 Likes

Manchester by the Sea is on BBC2 tomorrow night FYI

7 Likes

Hereditary: fine. Couldn’t get over Peter being ‘high-school age’. Apparently he’s only 21 in real life but he looks about 35.

1 Like

Manchester by the Sea
Didn’t do anything for me

1 Like

Moonlight
Thought it was alright

1 Like

There’s a million ways to have a hot take

4 Likes

Shits it’s fifty ways isn’t it?

Fucked that right up

Whoosh!

2 Likes

I didn’t mind/liked the music for the most part but yeah during the big scenes -fire and police station - it was laying it on pretty thick. Apparently for one of them the director used the music just as a guide while he worked on the film and planned to change it later, but got so used to that music that he didn’t feel able to change it in the end. Which is a shame, definitely took away a little bit of the impact.

The 8 minute long scene that used Adagio Per Archi felt like it had been designed around the song, like the director had heard it and thought up the scene in his head and shoved it into the film.

I thought it was a very competent film and can see why people love it so much, it just didn’t take me.