DiS Top 100 Films of the 21st Century (so far) (I love theo)

Don’t know how I forgot about Moon, considering Welcome to Collinwood made my list almost solely through Rockwell’s performance.

I mean I think it depends on whether you are someone who prefers something highly implausible and unlikely but not impossible, vs something clearly impossible but if you accept it the rest of the story follows an entirely logical and reasonable course.

I haven’t really explained that exactly. I think the reason I prefer the non-magical explanation is that I don’t like the way the story gives no indication until the moment he works with Tesla that it is entirely a fantasy story. This is a rug pull I am not sure about and in a sense the film fails to achieve the Prestige for me under this framework, whereas it does when I perceive that there is still a story I can uncover?

1 Like

Alright you and tricklenipple can get a room

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/dis-top-100-films-of-the-21st-century-so-far/32814/601

2 Likes

Enjoy your Pixels man.

1 Like

I just want to know how many Godzilla films there are going to be

I love Hot Fuzz more than Shaun of the Dead because I think it takes the ludicrousness to an extra level. It lampoons the action movie like SotD does the zombie movie, but actually SotD is quite solidly within its genre despite the jokes.

Hot Fuzz has them playing out US action clichés inside a small west country town and to me that brings things to an even higher level.

Also Hot Fuzz has a happy ending and I just can’t really turn down a happy ending. SotD doesn’t have an unhappy ending as such but it’s got more of a sense darkness to it.

1 Like

In this list or in general?

jook…
jook…

WAKE UP!!!

3 Likes

such a beautiful, evocative and uplifting film. spent a few days afterwards thinking about it, can’t think of many that have had a similar effect on me. never had any opinion on Shia (other than liking him in Even Stevens) but he’s really good in this. Sasha Lane is also amazing. side note but don’t think there’ll be that many more female directed films w non white female leads featuring, even if people didn’t get it reckon they can find more worthwhile things to get irked by based on that alone

3 Likes

Finally! Good to be in the company of real intellectuals.

This is one of my favourite films of all time. The whole film is beautiful:

vlcsnap-2010-10-14-22h41m51s1771

2 Likes

55. ONE PERSON CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER.

Trivia Time: Jean-Pierre Jeunet originally wanted Michael Nyman to score the film, but was unable to get him. Someone then gave Jeunet a CD by Yann Tiersen, who composes in a similar minimalist style, but with an extremely quirky, eclectic mix of instruments. Jeunet fell in love with the music and scored the film largely with existing pieces by Tiersen, for which he bought the rights. In addition, Tiersen wrote an original main theme, “La Valse d’Amelie,” which was recorded in numerous variations and used throughout the film.

Nominated by: @eltham @juke @lastastronaut @hanshotfirst @bergkamp

9 Likes

I liked this film a lot when I saw it. I am worried I wouldn’t now so I have never had the courage to rewatch and stick with my memory of a great film by the director of Alien: Resurrection.

3 Likes

Hedwig was also in my list, love it. Thought it might make the 100 but doubt it’d be this high now

You’re all now on my list

12 Likes

knew it

Trivia Time: First film distributed or co-distributed by a streaming service - in this case, Amazon - to get an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

Nominated by: @anon5266188 @jaguarpirate @kiyonemakibi @shinymcshine

10 Likes

Looks boring as hell and I never bothered with it. Convince me otherwise?

2 Likes

it’s the 54th best film of the century

19 Likes

It features some of the most naturalistically brilliant writing and performances I’ve ever seen and manages to be both emotionally gutwrenching and fucking hilarious within the same film. It would have been my film of the year in pretty much any other year that didn’t have Moonlight come out during it…

9 Likes

I’m gonna try to watch all of the films on the list that I haven’t seen once we’re done. I’m surprised that this is funny, I got the impression it was just a gritty miseryfest.

1 Like