DiS Top 100 Films of the 21st Century (so far)

Was gonna say maybe people liked it because of the 25 seconds of MBV shoehorned in?

Lost in translation is a funny one. It does a terrific job of creating a sense of place. I’m not sure I’m the right person to decide whether or not it is racist but it certainly does milk some of its humour from very shady areas. But I did feel something goddamit. I dunno.

yeah I reckon if they’d just put people in a dark room and made them listen to loveless for the first time ever it would have had much more of an impact

I liked the soundtrack more for the bits of Air, really.

but most important was when she was gazing out of windows and stuff. I love gazing out of windows.

Aye every time I go back to it I’m like “I’m surely gonna hate it this time”

Hasn’t happened yet :man_shrugging:t2:

worried about how many of you actually like looking at 17 year olds arses now

Aye sorry that joke was a bit shady innit

Its King of Comedy for the Crimewatch generation

:smiley: I haven’t seen that one yet, but I have seen them compared

yeah, I liked those posts because I thought they were knowing digs at the film

nah it’s fine. just didn’t want there to be any ambiguity for anyone else reading this who might think we were actually saying it was a good thing that the film somehow seems to be made from the perspective of a sleazy straight white man

I also thought the original post was a knowing dig at the film.

Weirdly as a female directed film it does have a male gaze element to it.

So many fellow DiSers misspell my abbreviated username that I thought “Wow! I was shoehorned* into Lost in Translation?”

• it’s the most wonderful world in the English language

Having never seen lost in translation and it being 2018 and having already listened to loveless, any point?

• Yeah
  • Nah

0 voters

Do yourself a favour and watch the 2018 film Loveless instead which is so much better

got me into the jesus and mary chain.

Seen. Its good aye

Yeah sorry, just a shit gag tbh, hope nobody took it as literal. Personally feel.that ir’s a massively overrated and quite suspect film tbh.

Lost in Translation is brilliant, Bill Murray was robbed of an Oscar, don’t fancy Scarlett Johansson in it (or indeed any film really) so I’ve dodged that bullet at least.

Honestly I think part of why I took against it at the time were all the guys on film/DVD forums doing virtual Vic Reeves thigh rubs about ScarJo in skimpy clothes. Especially as IIRC it’s really under-sexualised and quite sort of natural slouchy bored? Dunno, just made me feel really negative about creepy men.

However, I have never really been one for feeling comfortable about that sort of talk about films based on how attractive female stars are/ guys with models as their desktop wallpaper / posters of sexy ladies in their rooms, etc.