DiS Top 100 Films of the 21st Century (so far)

It’s nine minutes of a woman eating a pie, 20 minutes into a film. I can see why folks got up and left theatres.

Before I saw the film I think I read an analysis of the scene and her weird eating technique - apparently she’d actually never eaten a pie before? So maybe having that nugget in my head beforehand just made it a lot funnier/weirder in a positive way

Beau Travail has my favourite ever ending to a film

Correct…

Some shots of the ghost, specifically those done during pickups or reshoots, do not use Affleck at all, instead replacing him with the film’s art director, David Pink, who was found to have a similar build.

Re watched Mulholland Drive last night.

It’s an absolute masterpiece.

Thanks for your time.

Fun link to this post: Red Road came out of the Advance Party initiative, essentially meaning rules were laid down for the filmmaking process by Lars von Trier (who also produced it). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Party_(film_series)

Huh, how about that!

I just finished Red Road too, so great timing. I couldn’t keep my eyes off it :+1:t2:

Ah yeah it’s so good init! Think you get loads from rewatches, too. Definitely Arnold’s most tightly scripted movie - love how all the twists and turns really underscore and subvert stuff around gender - and the emotional payoff towards the end is great. When I first watched it, I really didn’t know where it was going. I love this movie - was near the top of my list I think.

Watched The Florida Project - enjoyed it loads! Great characters, especially Moonee and Defoe. The ending broke me.

“I can’t say it!” :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Hey @DarwinBabe looks like Netflix have been spying on our discussion in this thread

The link works in my Aussie Netflix although I guess some of the films will be different.

Werckmeister Harmonies- As expected not really my thing.

Five to go, amazing what some time off work can do for your Letterboxd account.

Beau Travail- I liked it to a point but films with constant narration do my nut in. Great ending.

Leave No Trace: lovely

Still Walking: Marvellous

Two to go I think, The Orphanage and Toni Erdmann.

can’t believe this thread and all your votes tricked me into watching ratatouille

What’s wrong with Ratatouille

Oh god, you had to didn’t you? You had to go and bloody do it.

Saving the best til last I see :wink:

Oh God, I can’t do this. Let’s just say I think Aardman would have done the whole thing far, far better.

(I have abandoned a detailed attempt to explain why I found it quite mediocre, but I would like to say, for the record, that at certain moments it evoked the Umwelt of the rat magnificently)

Please leave and never come back.