DiS Top 100 Films of the 21st Century (so far) (I love theo)

I liked it but it’s definitely not one of the best films of the century

it’s like a twee film student’s wet dream with a budget

1 Like

Deep down aren’t we all twee film students?

ye… no

How come?

It is extremely over rated. That scene with Will Oldham urgh

2 Likes

well really this is all very subjective and i am just some chump on the internet commenting on a film

I think it was an interesting concept explored to its breaking point…I’m not sure how deep it was beyond that. I couldn’t say the whole film worked for me.

2 Likes

I hated that scene as well.

For me it’s one to be filed under ‘stayed with me for whatever reason’

Fairly underwhelmed by it when I left the screen but it really grew on me the more I sat with it. Think that Will Oldham scene really sets it back though.

This is one I would have dropped has I remembered Brick and Take Shelter

Red road is great
Andrea Arnold director of the century imo

5 Likes

And only number 91 in a DiS poll?

5 Likes

Trivia Time: The tree where Solomon sees several men being lynched was actually used for lynching, and is surrounded by the graves of murdered slaves.

Nominated by: @Severed799 @hanshotfirst @nestor

5 Likes

didn’t rate it

1 Like

Imagine if jook announces the winner on the 25th and it’s Love Actually
Christmas miracle :christmas_tree: :heart:

9 Likes

Genuinely wish I’d made lots of fake accounts to make that happen

3 Likes

Red Road almost made my list. Second best film so far after John Wick.

1 Like

Trivia Time: During the Cannes Film Festival press conference for the film, Lars von Trier responded to a question about the use of Wagner’s music, by calling himself a Nazi, and saying that he sympathized with Hitler. Despite apologizing for his remarks, he was banned from the remainder of the festival, and declared a persona non grata by festival organizers, a first in the history of the festival.

Nominated by: @gert @ericVI

6 Likes

Wanna watch this one.

I’m never watching anything by von Trier again, he can fuck off.

6 Likes

I think that’s fair enough to be honest. I went to see it with my gf and she absolutely hated it and it became a bit of an in-joke between us where I’d pretend that it was a cinematic masterpiece to wind her up. I don’t think it’s necessarily alienating or ‘divisive’, but I think it’s a film very dependent on buying into the concept fully and unequivocally, as you mentioned. There were so many moments I absolutely adored and wowed me, and despite my joking, I kind of loved the overt ‘pretentiousness’ of it all. Pie scene is great.

Kind of similar to @anon5266188 , I sent my list in quite early and I think this was one of the more expendable films in hindsight. But it’s a film I came out of the cinema in genuine amazement at what I had just seen (which has admittedly diminished a bit over time).

Trivia Time: During an emotional scene in the film, Miles talks with great passion about Pinot Noir. After the release of this movie, sales of Pinot Noir wines rose by more than 20 percent over the 2004-05 Christmas/New Year period, compared to the same period the previous year. A similar phenomenon was experienced in British wine outlets. Miles is deeply disparaging, in a different scene, about Merlot, and sales dropped after the film came out. Ironically, Miles’s prized bottle of wine, a 1961 Château Cheval Blanc, is a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, another grape Miles disparaged.

Nominated by: @anon50098204 @kiyonemakibi @malick @JaguarPirate

5 Likes