DiS Turing Test

Hot water? No, this is superheated mate

2 Likes

Oh right, yeah, I did play Traveller. Seem to recall it felt like it had been influenced by the game Elite?

Also I seem to remember a batshit rule about PCs where you could spend years in the military to boost your stats but with a 1 in 6 chance of dying.

http://www.clickhole.com/clickventure/youre-computer-can-you-pass-turing-test-4009#201,

Did this and managed to win the big Turing tournament first try.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Traveller was first published in 1977 so it predates Elite.

Yeah, you could die in chargen as I understand the cool kids call it.

1 Like

Oh shit, actually it was the other way about maybe? That I’d been told Traveller had been an influence on the design of Elite.

I sort of recall it had a huge technical side, that you could build your own spaceship and it was really detailed, but equally it wasn’t a massively heroic game so you could die easily. Dunno. I mean this is like the amount of work you had to put into creating a Call of Cthulhu character vs how long they stayed alive/sane.

It only used a d6 too.

What a world.

1 Like

How did my beautiful Turing test thread end up with just me and you talking about Traveller?

Oh it was my fault.

1 Like

Well it’s not how many sides, it’s how you use it!

Remember the Star Wars RPG with its d6 system that clearly influenced the Vampire: The Masquerade one, which I’d consider the pinnacle of good systems.

I’ve got this book I’ve had since I was a kid (that also previously belonged to my cousin, so has terrible bubble writing scrawled inside, proclaiming that he is the the “break skateboard wizard”). Maybe it can tell us.

6 Likes

#:robot:

1 Like

Tried to make the robot emoji big, but failed. Very sad.

1 Like

can you do big emojis?
#:astonished:

oh hey, that worked for a split second and then changed

BRUNDLEFLY?

1 Like

emojis are massive on my (very old) phone

like, even bigger than this

Why are we swapping insects and not swatting them these days?

you can swap two normal insects for a shiny one

3 Likes

This is lovely. The sort of book I collect

Curse my stupid circuits. How did I fail to recognise this hilarious wheeze?

:heart: those robot maids’ outfits. I now want to buy a gold dress and wear it with purple tights.

“Maid without tears” isn’t a very nice name though