DiS Users' April 2018 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:

1. Desperate Journalist - You Get Used To It
2. Fenne Lily - On Hold
3. Rival Consoles - Persona

Desperate Journalist’s EP was excellent and continued where their last album left off. Great live last week too.
Fenne Lily’s album was a fun listen. Saw her live a few weeks ago too. She’s a definite cut above similar artists in her genre.
Rival Consoles isn’t generally my go to type of music but really liked it.

Not sure what else is out tomorrow except Speedy Ortiz.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until around but not before Sunday 6th May and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing. (I’ll be on holiday during that Sunday.)

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please

1. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Sex & Food
  2. John Maus - Addendum
  3. Daniel Avery - Songs for Alpha

These are the only three I’ve listened to. A little disappointed by Daniel Avery. It’s not bad by any stretch, I was just hoping for some prime bangers like on the first album, when instead it sounds a lot like the early Warp music I already have plenty of.

1. A Place to Bury Strangers — Pinned
  2. A Place to Bury Strangers — Pinned
  3. A Place to Bury Strangers — Pinned
1 Like

May need to revise this after I’ve listened to the Speedy Ortiz album.

I hate to say it but I’m struggling with it so far, but I’m hoping it’ll be a grower. I’m going to keep trying.

I’ve got a four-way tie right now with Hop Along, Wye Oak, Mastersystem, and A Place to Bury Strangers, with Christian Fitness as a runner up.

1. Goat Girl - Goat Girl. Why is no one else talking about this album - it’s fucking great. Occupies the middle ground between the unsettling blues of early PJ Harvey and the playfulness of Stealing Sheep (which floats my boat alright).

2. A Place To Bury Strangers - Pinned

3. Daniel Avery - Song For Alpha

1 Like
  1. Prime Minister of Doom - Mudshadow Propaganda
  2. Daniel Avery - Song for Alpha
  3. Confidence Man - Confident music for confident people
1 Like
  1. Neil Young - Tonight’s the Night Live
  2. Rival Consoles - Persona
  3. Makeness - Loud Patterns

Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Amen Dunes

1. Cavern of Anti-Matter - Hormone Lemonade
  2. Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile
  3. Blue Lab Beats - Xover

Just checked and 1 and 2 were both released in March. Whoops. What a shit month April has been for records.

1. Christian Fitness - Nuance - The Musical
  2. Bambara - Shadow On Everything
  3. Wye Oak - The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs
  4. Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog
  5. Kimbra - Primal Heart

Goat Girl didn’t grab me as much as I was anticipating, sadly. Reckon there’s a really good album in there if a handful of tracks were trimmed off. Also really enjoyed Fenne Lily, Daniel Avery, Mastersystem, MØL and No Thank You.

1. Christian Fitness - Nuance- The Musical
  2. Arndales - Shops
  3. Cosmic Psychos - Loudmouth Soup
  1. Saba - Care For Me

2. Daniel Avery - Song for Alpha

3. Grouper - Grid of Points

The Saba record is amazing - a definite AOTY contender.

Overall this was a really weak year though. I can’t think of any other new music this month outside those three that has done much for me. Last month there were at least 7-8 brilliant records and lots of other interesting ones too.

I understand the struggle to find decent records that came out this month, but Amen Dunes was definitely March.

1. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
  2. Slug - HiggledyPiggledy
  3. Sonido Gallo Negro - Mambo Cosmico
  1. Rival Consoles - Persona
  2. No Thankyou - All it takes to ruin it all
  3. Hop Along - Bark your head off, dog.

I liked the Wye Oak LP also.

Halfway through Speedy Ortiz and it sounds terrible. You’re more masochistic than I if you’re going to keep trying.

It’s getting slightly better but so far it’s a disappointment. That patented “Speedy Ortiz Twist” in the first song feels really forced and basically ruins it each time it shows up.

I consider myself reprimanded. Just Unknown Mortal Orchestra then.

1 Like

Saba - care for me
Christian Fitness - Nuance
Janelle Monae - Naughty Laptop

That Saba album is maybe the best thing I’ve heard this year.

1 Like