DiS Users' April 2018 Album Of The Month

Right-o, here we go. Good month (for me). Top three below, with honourable mentions (in no particular order) following. Enjoy NYC, BMS1 (why I say that I don’t know - you clearly are!)

1. Elina DuniPartir

2. DRINKSHippo Lite

3. The Colorist Orchestra & Lisa Hannigans/t

Honourable Mentions:

Paul De JongYou Fucken Sucker

Fenne LilyOn Hold

Tom MischGeography

Martin John HenrySome Evil Ways

Spring OnionI Did My Taxes For Free Online

ExitmusicThe Recognitions

Sing LeafShu Ra

1. Eels - The Deconstruction
  2. Half Waif - Lavender
  3. Wye Oak - The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs

1. Rival Consoles
  2. Unknown Mortal Orchestra
  3. Avery

I’ve tallyed up all the scores on a scrap of paper. I’ll leave it open for another few hours for last minute votes and will release the results.

Just want to plug the Spielbergs EP again last minute:

THE RESULTS:

1st Grouper - Grid Of Points (20 points)
2nd Rival Consoles - Persona (17 points)
3rd Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog (15 points)
4th Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Sex & Food (14 points)
5th Daniel Avery - Songs For Alpha (13 points)
Joint 6th Albums by: A Place To Bury Strangers, Christian Fitness, Goat Girl and Wye Oak (all on 8 points)
Joint 10th Albums by Janelle Monae and Sarah Davachi (both on 7 points)

April was a weak month for album releases.

I disagree. Some total belters. Could’ve made a top ten easy… completely depends on what you’re after

I didn’t vote for it but surprised that the Christian Fitness album didn’t rank higher?!

Incredible that the Saba album - one of the best hip hop albums of the last five years - can’t even get into the top eleven in a weak month. I’m beginning to think the little lamented @fatty was on to something when he said that DIS is as little interested in non-white music as that awful Radio X list.

Apologies. I missed that on the final count up.

THE AMENDED RESULTS

1st Grouper - Grid Of Points (20 points)
2nd Rival Consoles - Persona (17 points)
3rd Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog (15 points)
4th Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Sex & Food (14 points)
5th Daniel Avery - Songs For Alpha (13 points)
Joint 6th Albums by: A Place To Bury Strangers, Christian Fitness, Goat Girl and Wye Oak (all on 8 points)
Joint 10th Albums by Janelle Monae, Saba and Sarah Davachi (all on 7 points)

Thanks. Still woefully low though. As a matter of interest how many of the 40 or so albums that have made the monthly top tens this year are by non-white artists?

totally missed it this month but I’d have gone Grouper, Hop Along and Daniel Avery with U.M.O and Mastersystem just outside them

Super late but here are mine anyway, not that they would have affected the results in the slightest. My album of the month is a cracker though and I highly recommend checking them/her out:

1. Queen Kwong - Love me to Death
  2. TesseracT - Sonder
  3. Awooga - Conduit
  4. A perfect circle - Eat the Elephant
  5. Skindred - Big Tings

Other good stuff; 30 seconds to mars, Haggard Cat, Cancer Bats, Desperate Journalist

Hey, thanks for mentioning Queen Kwong. I’ve had me a look and I likes what I hears!

Madness, that

No problem. I’m surprised they haven’t been mentioned around here before actually. I read a good live review of them too so will keep a look out for when they next tour the UK.

Indeed. This thread is increasingly depressing I’m afraid.

it’s literally fine