DiS Users' April 2019 Album Of The Month

CHANGES CHANGES CHANGES!!!

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!
VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

I’ve often wanted to award points to my 4th and 5th favourites especially on strong months for releases and wasn’t able due to my own rules and they end up as honourable mentions.

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My (sparse) choices:

1. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
  2. Kelsey Lu - Blood
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?

The Weyes Blood album is great. Not as look as her previous but that was a potential AOTY for me. Her new one is an excellent follow up. Glad she’s getting the attention and is selling out bigger venues than London Fields Brewhouse when I first saw her.

I liked Kelsey Lu’s album on the two occasions I heard it but that’s probably it for me this month. I’m looking forward to looking at your choices and hopefully I’ll get to review my 2nd to 5th positions.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 6th May (or perhaps a little longer as I’ll be on holiday on the 6th) and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

Chemical Bros
Kelsey Lu
Stealing Sheep
Heather Woods Broderick
Lizzo

Only heard (and loved two albums this month I think?! Weyes Blood and Lizzo

Will be back in here after tomorrow as local natives and Marissa Nadler have releases

Oh actually chemical bros was quite good too. Hhmm. Didn’t like Pup at all. Same with Martha I think maybe I’m not as into guitar bands anymore as I could/should be. Hhmm

need to wait a few days for this, because I’m expecting tomorrow to be a really good day with Ezra Collective, Aldous Harding and the Droneflower record all out.

1 Like

Hope this is a super group of Ezra Furman, Ezra Koenig and Ezra Miller.

Sunn O)) is out tomorrow too :drooling_face:

3 Likes

No you’re thinking of 3zra

1 Like

and that lad out of Star Wars Rebels

1 Like

Ez-R2D2?

Ez-Ra, Princess Of Power

1 Like
  1. Priests - The Seduction of Kansas
  2. Self Defense Family - Performative Guilt EP
  3. Gurr - She Says EP

The Priests album is great and one of the best albums of the year so far, even if it didn’t deliver on the promise of Nothing Feels Natural in the way that people wanted it to or were expecting it to. Maybe an analogy is Wolf Parade’s At Mount Zoomer in how it sort of pulls back on what people wanted from them but remains excellent and expands what they do. I think this will be looked at much more fondly with some time.

The first two songs of the Self Defense Family EP are especially great. Something about the guitars remind me of Hot Rock era Sleater Kinney mixed with slower Cloud Nothings maybe?

I wish I had more to say about the Gurr EP but I screwed up my ears again and haven’t listened for a couple weeks. But I remember it being good and catchy and melodic.

1 Like

Josefin Öhrn & The Liberation is also out tomorrow.

1 Like

Janus Rasmussen (Kiasmos) albums is excellent.

1 Like

I had a ticket for the gig tomorrow but it’s been rescheduled to a date months away. I was really looking forward to it.

Yeah I was going to buy a ticket for this too. I’ll see nearer to the rescheduled date.

I’m going to cheat a little bit here, as Billie Eilish and Karyyn came out on the very last weekday of March, so there was no way they’d be able to make my end of month faves for them. Sooooo…

1. Billie Eilish - When we all fall asleep…
  2. Chemical Brothers - No Geography
  3. Kelsey Lu - Blood
  4. KARYYN - The Quanta Series

Ooh, I couldn’t go when it was today - therefore this is actually good news for me :+1:

2 Likes

Right, with the addition of today’s releases I’m gonna go

1. Rozi Plain - What A Boost
  2. Aldous Harding - Designer
  3. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies
  4. Stealing Sheep - Big Wows
  5. Ezra Collective - You Can’t Steal My Joy

Great month. Also been meaning to listen to Weyes Blood and Lizzo as I loved the singles they put out, but Rozi took over the stereo until today