DiS Users' April 2020 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My choices:

1. Melkbelly - PITH
2. Jackie Lynn - Jacqueline
3. Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
4. Stay Inside - Viewing
5. Hamilton Leithauser - The Loves Of Your Life

Melkbelly ticks all my boxes of 90s female indie rock. I can hear some influences of Throwing Muses a lot of The Breeders but ironically not Belly. Excellent album and I’ve really enjoyed putting it on during my commute to work and back home. Melkbelly is my joint top with Jackie Lynn. Tossed a coin and they won.

Jackie Lynn. I didn’t realise that she’s Circuits Dea Yeux. Love this album. Wispy, mellow, soulful, ethereal electro-pop. The album crosses quite a few genres. Brilliant.

The Fiona Apple record is very good. Heard it through three or four times and enjoyed it. Actually it’s an unyielding masterpiece. No music has ever sounded quite like it (except TuneYards).

Stay Inside. Very apt named band for current times. For fans of Trail Of Dead and Idlewild, that sort of thing.

Hamilton Leithauser. In the absence of The Walkmen this is the next best thing.

I’ll adjust/add to my choices after tomorrow’s releases maybe. Indigo Girls and Braids out tomorrow. Loved Braids with their debut album but then again I haven’t listened to them again for maybe 10 years.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 3rd May and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

The new Braids singles have been really good. Snow Angel is a nice return to form

Looking forward to the LA Priest album tomorrow but very hard to see past The Strokes at the moment

Oh wait LA Priest has been delayed:

1. The Strokes - The New Abnormal
  2. Shabazz Palaces - The Don of Diamond Dreams
  3. Yves Tumor - Heaven to a Tortured Mind
  1. Malena Zavala
  2. Yaeji
  3. The Strokes
  4. Rina Sawayama
  5. Martin Grech
1 Like

Great innit.

1 Like
  1. Oranssi Pazuzu - Mestarin Kynsi
  2. Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - Viscerals
  3. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time Live
  1. The Orb - Abolition Of The Royal Familia
  2. Plone - Puzzlewood
  3. Thundercat - It Is What It Is
  4. Dallas Campbell - EIV
  5. Steve Hadfield - Unreality

Special mention for NIN - Ghosts V & VI, the second half of which I’m not quite in the right headspace for right now.

I don’t think Braids is coming sadly. Makes it a little easier, as that was going to be my big big one, though there’s a few here too…

1. Empress Of - I’m Your Empress Of
  2. Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
  3. TOPS - I Feel Alive
  4. Yaeji - What We Drew
  5. Yves Tumor - Heaven To A Tortured Mind
1 Like

These were released last month, and for some reason I still haven’t got around to listening to VI

Unfortunately I haven’t spent much time on Empress Of’s new one. Loved her first two albums and her Chats Palace gig a few years ago.

1 Like
  1. Pigsx7 - Viscerals
  2. Yves Tumour - Heaven To A Tortured Mind
  3. Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
  4. Flat Worms - Antartica
  5. Headie One - GANG
  1. Sugar Horse - Drugs (noise, shoegaze, metal, doom? Bit Deftones, Mogwai, Thrice and The Chariot all mushed together.)
  2. Pigs x7 - Viscerals (stoner/Sabbath metal/rock, loooong songs, party jams)
  3. Maserati - Enter The Mirror (rad mostly instrumental party times, techy-metallic, 80s-electronic stuff).
1 Like
  1. Laura Marling - Song For Our Daughter
  2. The Strokes - The New Abnormal
  3. Jackie Lynn - Jacqueline
  4. RALPH TV - Cabin Fever Dreams
  5. M Ward - Migration Stories

All five very enjoyable, with Marling maintaining the genius level of Semper Femina. Still been listening to loads of March releases too, especially Waxahatchee, Nap Eyes and Baxter Dury.

Excellent Month

1. Yves Tumor
  2. Rina Sawayama
  3. Fiona Apple
  4. Laura Marling
  5. The Strokes

Special mentions go out to: Yaeji & Empress of

The Strokes album in particular surprised me, I had no hope of that album being good yet alone comfortably up there with the debut at times. For certain their 2nd best album

All of the top 5 would stand a chance at topping AOTY for me tbh (maybe not The Strokes) but the top 4 for sure.

1 Like
  1. Benni Hemm Hemm - Thank You Satan
  2. Active Child - In Another Life
  3. Altopalo - farawayfromeveryoneyouknow
  4. Sylvan Esso - WITH (live album)
  5. Serph - Mirapyd

My top two will be the same! I need to work out the rest though …

1. Laura Marling - Song For Our Daughter
  2. NNAMDÏ - BRAT
  3. Other Lives - We Wait
  4. Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
  5. Thundercat - It Is What It Is

need to listen to BRAT again, had it on once on release day and thoroughly enjoyed it

1: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
2: DJ Python - Mas Amable
3: Westside Gunn - Pray for Paris
4: Yaeji - What We Drew
5: Lorenzo Senni - Scacco Matto