DiS Users' April 2022 Album Of The Month - The Results

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. Bob Vylan - Bob Vylan Presents The Price Of Life

2. The Regrettes - Further Joy

3. Camila Cabello - Familia

4. Wet Leg - Wet Leg

5. Janines - Don’t Wait For A Sign

Bob Vylan are a new band for me. Hadn’t heard of them before this album. A rap rock/metal cross over of sorts. It’s angry, in your face, fun but overall just a great album…oh and it’s definitely angry. Tories not welcome and has a few choice words for the rose tinted glasses liberal left wingers too. Glad to have an album by a band I never heard of before last Friday as my top pick.

The Regrettes album is a great summer pop album. Heard it on repeat quite a few times and probably will sound even better during sunny summer days.

I’m a fan of Camila Cabello’s stuff and didn’t mind her in Cinderella last year. Her debut is stunning and she’s pretty great live too. The new one has a great Latin sound. Probably won’t be on too many users top five here but it’s a good one.

I heard the new Wet Leg a few times on the day of release as I was going to see them at Rough Trade East later that day. Good band on record and live and Too Late Now is one of the best tracks this year but I haven’t actually gone back to the album after its release date.

If you find Belle and Sebastian a bit too heavy and loud perhaps give the Janines album a go. It’s twee as hell but fun.

I think albums by Let’s Eat Grandma, Dana Gavanski and Tomberlin might be out tomorrow. They’ll be on my queue instantly and probably will prompt my top five to change but can’t see anything topping Bob Vylan for me this month.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 8th May so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

3 Likes
  1. Wet Leg
  1. Fontaines D.C.
  2. Wet Leg
1 Like

Absolutely loads of brilliant stuff released this month and haven’t really thought about it properly but based on repeated listens…

1. Billy Woods - Aethiopes
  2. Whatever The Weather - S/T
  3. Gav & Jord - Writings Ov Tomato
  4. Cancer Bats - Psychic Jailbreak
  5. Claire Rousay - Everything is Perfect Here Already…

Special honourable mention to the new Batu record, which is probably, with the exception of Billy Woods & Claire Rousay, the most beautifully fluid album I’ve heard this month.

1 Like

Haven’t really been keeping up with new releases this month for some reason but I like my top 3 and then a couple that I enjoyed but doubt I’ll return to.

1. Lea Bertucci & Ben Vida - Murmurations
  2. Claire Rousay - Everything is Perfect Here Already
  3. Kelly Lee Owens - 8
  4. Green House - Solar Editions
  5. KMRU & Aho Ssan - Limen
  1. Kathryn Joseph - for you who are the wronged
  2. PUP - The Unraveling of PUPTHEBAND
  3. GGGOLDDD - This Shame Should Not Be Mine
  4. Wet Leg - s/t
  5. Crows - Beware Believers
2 Likes

Oops hit reply while still in draft form… this is it atm but subject to change before deadline

Here goes, incredible month (again)

1. Oceanator - Nothing’s Ever Fine
  2. vern matz - A Treatise on the Rainbow
  3. MJ Lenderman - Boat Songs
  4. Horsees - A Superior Athlete
  5. Georgia Harmer - Stay In Touch
Extras

My full month list (in no order). Some decent EPs this month

1 Like

1 - Spiritualized - Everything was Beautiful
2 - Wet Leg - Wet Leg
3 - Fontaines D.C. - Skinty FIA
4 - SAULT - Air
5 - Kind Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard - Omnium Gatherum

2 Likes

1.Walt Disco - Unlearning

I’ve listened to it at least once a day since it came out on the 1st so I’ve genuinely not had time to listen to much else. Just give 'em all of my points. Amazing record.

Edit: can I please revise my list slightly @BMS1?

1. Walt Disco - Unlearning
  2. Real Lies - Lad Ash
2 Likes

Amazing Month! The Top 3 ordering was very tricky to decide upon. Those 3 albums may well make my own top 10 come the end of 2022

1. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum
  2. Brainwaltzera - ITSAME
  3. Let’s Eat Grandma - Two Ribbons
  4. SCALPING - Void
  5. Röyksopp - Profound Mysteries
1 Like

Will do.

1. FUMU - Enter The Anima
  2. Real Lies - Lad Ash
  3. Billy Woods - Aethiopes
  4. Pusha T - It’s Almost Dry
  5. Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia

Pretty convinced that the performance with The Roots of Dreamin Of The Past has forced Pusha T into the top 5 even though it isn’t Daytona. Found my self humming constantly this week.

Real Lies might push into my top 10 of the year or higher but doubt FUMU will. Need to live with Lad Ash for a bit longer.

2 Likes
  1. Calexico - El Mirador
  2. Oumou Sangaré - Timbuktu
  3. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum
  4. Pusha T - It’s Almost Dry
  5. Kurt Vile - (watch my moves)
3 Likes
  1. Kathryn Joseph
  2. Kelly Lee Owens
  3. Billy Woods
  4. Wet Leg
1 Like

An incredibly disappointing month, so many albums I’ve been really looking forward to that just leave me indifferent at best. :sob:
Still working out my list.

1. Spiritualized
  2. Kathryn Joseph
  3. Tomberlin
  4. Kelly Lee Owens
  5. Melody’s Echo Chamber

The exact order could change, but have really enjoyed all five.

Wet Leg - Wet Leg (enjoyed the singles, expected the album to be those singles plus filler, turned out the new tracks were even better)

Reigns - Tollinghurst (glitchy, haunted beats with dark spoken word vocals, a concept album about an English Tarot card designer who predicted her own fiery death apparently, it’s excellent)

Nonsun - Blood & Spirit

Mizmor & Thou - Myopia
Heriot - Profound Morality

2 Likes
  1. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum
  2. Kurt Vile - (watch my moves)
  3. Billy Woods - Aethiopes
  4. Action Bronson - Cocodrillo Turbo
3 Likes
  1. Batu - Opal
  2. Confidence Man - Tilt
  3. Nik Colk Void - Bucked Up Space