DiS Users' August 2017 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

Tomorrow’s a big day for releases. The War On Drugs seems to be the big one for most. I’m looking forward to EMA, Nadine Shah, Iron & Wine and Widowspeak. Susanne Sundfor’s is delayed unfortunately. Other ones out tomorrow include Liars, QOTSA, Oh Sees, PVRIS and Brand New. I’ve probably missed some others and that’s just tomorrow alone.

I’ve enjoyed hugely The Districts’ album and Soccer Mommy was very good. She was great live also at Visions.

I’ll extend my usual cut off for when I do the count. It’s usually the a Sundau week but I’ll extend it to Wednesday 6th September this time as there’s so many strong albums out tomorrow.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. You’ll have over a week and a half ro make your choices this time. I won’t extend it much further as the thread would lose its (vague slight) relevance .

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

My choices:

1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?

Really looking forward to listening to some great releases tomorrow.

In reference to the AOTM thread

Slow start this month, I assume because there’s a whole bunch of stuff released today. Anyway, I’ll start.:

1. Dead Cross - Dead Cross
  2. EMA - Exile In The Outer Ring
  3. UNKLE - The Road Part I

Good month this month. I usually think of August as being a bit quiet…

1. Cloakroom - Time Well
  2. Mermaidens - Perfect Body

Grizzly Bear and EMA

1. Everything Everything - A Fever Dream
  2. Paul Draper - Spooky Action
  3. Steven Wilson - To The Bone

Almost certain I’ll be the only one with Draper and Wilson on my list, haha.

1. EMA — Exile In The Outer Ring
  2. Mermaidens — Perfect Body

Order is arbitrary, really.

Go on then…

1. Rafael Anton Irisarri - The Shameless Years
  2. Oneohtrix Point Never - Good Time OST
  3. Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins

Also enjoying the Oh Sees new one, and Liars is fairly decent in the end too (gah that artwork).

1= Grizzly Bear
1= The War on Drugs
3. Nadine Shah

Probably

1. William Ryan Fritch & Matt Finney “A History In Boxes”
  2. Sannhet “So Numb”
  3. Dead Cross - “Dead Cross”

1.Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins
2. Rafael Anton Irisarri - The Shameless Years
3. QOTSA - Villains

Portico Quartet close 4th. Haven’t listened to Brand New yet.

Friday was such a good day that it turned an otherwise quite average month for releases into possibly the best of the year so far.
Anyway here’s my 3:

1/ The War On Drugs
2/ EMA
3/ Liars

Also enjoyed Grizzly Bear, Widowspeak and Iron & Wine.

1. EMA
  2. GRIZZLY BEAR
  3. QOTSA

1. Brand New
  2. Grizzly Bear
  3. Liars

1. Everything Everything - Fever Dream
  2. Hammock - Mysterium

Been so hyped for the Everythings and it’s surpassed my very high expectations. AOTY contender for sure. “Shame about your neighbourhoo-oo-ood” :grinning:
Hammock album is much more restrained than last year’s offering, but for good reason given the background against which they were composing. And it’s beautiful.
Grizzly Bear sounds decent - imagine it will reveal its intricacies over the coming months.

Absolutely no contest for the number 1 spot for me this month. It’s probably going to be my album of the year. Bit biased, obviously one of my favourite bands but boy did it deliver.

1. Brand New - Science Fiction
  2. Liars - TFCF

Also enjoying Action Bronson, Milo and The Cribs

Whoops posted in the wrong thread

1. Girl Ray - Earl Grey
  2. Frankie Rose - Cage Tropical
  3. Warm Digits - Wireless World

Summer Heart’s new album came very close. Haven’t heard any of your strong section, but should give Soccer Mommy another bash, and Nadine Shah before she plays where I work.

Brand New - Science Fiction
Liars - TFCF
Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins

Enjoyed a fair few others but the pick of them would be Jen Cloher, Widowspeak and Iron & Wine

Sannhet - So Numb
Oneohtrix Point Never - Good Time OST
Vatican Shadow - Luxor Necropolitics

1. Bodies Of Water - Spear In The City
  2. Jones - No Heart
  3. Matthew Bourne - Isotach

The Bodies Of Water album is possibly my favourite album of the year so far. It’s just so warm and catchy and darn-listenable.
Jones is Stephen Jones/Babybird chap. I get a bit overwhelmed with everything he releases on Bandcamp, never quite getting enough time to sit down and listen to which ones are good and which ones are less so. This one seems really quite nice so far. Have even splashed out for one of the limited edition cds.
Matthew Bourne is some instrumental piano/string section type sounds.