DiS Users' August 2018 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:

1. Our Girl - Stranger Today
2. The Beths - Future Hates Me
3. Mitksi - Be The Cowboy
4. Loose Tooth - Keep Up

I really liked the Our Girl album and their set at Rough Trade was great. Nothing particularly new but really well done. The Beths was a fun pop album. I loved Mitski’s previous but her new one didn’t stick on first listens. I’ll give it some more listens as I’m a fan and also have tickets to her Shepherds Bush gig next month.

There’s new albums by Anna Calvi, Juanita Stein and Idles that I’ll check out that may change my top 3 perhaps.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 9th September and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

1. Kathryn Joseph - From When I Wake the Want Is
  2. Tomberlin - At Weddings
  3. IDLES - Joy As An Act of Resistance

IDLES may be higher but only listened to ii once with it only being released today

1. Helena Hauff - Qualm
  2. Tunng - Songs You Make at Night
  3. Mogwai - KIN (even though only out today)

1. Kathryn Joseph
  2. Trippie Redd

Tomberlin - At Weddings
Free Cake For Every Creature - The Bluest Star
Kathryn Joseph - From When I Wake The Want Is

Followed by… Mitski, Whitney Ballen, Basement Revolver, Michael Nau, Baseball Gregg

1. Tirzah - Devotion
  2. Devon Welsh - Dream Songs
  3. Helena Hauff - Qualm

trying to remember what I’ve listened to this month as it’s basically just been new Fucked Up for me all month

Idles - Joy As An Act of Resistance
Jamie Scott - Glasgow Garden Festival '18
Oh Sees - Smote Reverser

Jamie’s album is excellent, mixing hip-hop, electronic and folk on an album about the 30th anniversary of Glasgow’s Garden Festival but it goes far deeper into his discussing his relationship with the city and it’s dark colonial history

1. MITSKI
  2. KATHRYN JOSEPH
  3. INTERPOL

Lots of stuff out today, but nonetheless…

1. Mitski - Be The Cowboy
  2. Oh Sees - Smote Reverser
  3. Anna Meredith - ANNO

Kathryn Joseph
Death Cab For Cutie
Oh Sees

1. Tirzah - Devotion
  2. Helena Hauff - Qualm
  3. Ekin Fil - Maps

Big Mogwai fan but haven’t listened to it yet.

Idles
Mitski
Blood Orange

1.Upset Stomach - Upset Stomach
2.Loose Tooth - Keep Up
3.Rabbit Island - Deep In The Big

1. IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
  3. Tirzah - Devotion

Quite enjoyed BC Camplight, Thou, Neil & Liam Finn, Nothing, Mitski, Kathryn Joseph and The Beths also

Kathryn Joseph - From When I Wake The Want Is
Devon Welsh - Dream Songs
Tunng - Songs You Make At Night

Interpol
Death Cab For Cutie
Kathryn Joseph

1. Foxing - Nearer My God
  3. Ólafur Arnalds - re:member

Quite liked the new IDLES record too but not massively blown away by it. Cheers then!

1. Tirzah - Devotion
  2. Mitski - Be The Cowboy
  3. Troye Sivan - Bloom

The Tirzah album will be right up there at the end of the year for sure.

Not sure about the album as a whole, but the last half of the title track is :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand: almost like if Illinois-era Sufjan had been rewritten with a drum machine

1. Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood - With Animals
  2. The Beths - Future Me Hates Me
  3. Foxing - Nearer My God

HM: Whitney Ballen, Tomberlin, Kathryn Joseph, Amanda Shires, Murder By Death, Free Cake For Every Creature