DiS Users' August 2020 Album Of The Month - The Results

Vote for your favourite albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My choices:

1. Girl Friday - Androgynous Mary
  2. L.A. Witch - Play With Fire
  3. Bully - Sugaregg
  4. ??
  5. ??

Definitely enjoyed Girl Friday. My other two choices were albums that I’ve heard and didn’t mind too much. Probably haven’t heard much this month.

I’ll adjust/add to my choices after tomorrow’s releases maybe. Not sure what’s out tomorrow apart from Angel Olsen and Kelly Lee Owens.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 6th September and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1 Like

I’m so behind. Only new records I listened to this month were Porridge Radio and that Dehd album. And I’m pretty sure neither of them came out this month.

That’s a lie. I listened to Bully which was ok based on first impressions.

Won’t do my list until I’ve had some time with tomorrow’s releases. But Biffy Clyro will be on my list, which is something I didn’t expect to say in 2020.

2 Likes

Same with me and Levellers!

1 Like

1.Angel Olsen - whole new mess
2.Jim Bob - Pop Up Jim Bob
3 Microphones - Microphones in 2020
4. Jason Molina. Eight Gates
5. Girls In Synthesis - Now here’s an echo from your future

1. Levellers - Peace (nope, can’t believe it myself either)
  2. Nubya Garcia - Source
  3. Vladislav Delay and Sly & Robbie - 500 Push Up
  4. HC McEntire - Eno Axis
  5. Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids - Shaman!
1 Like

Completely missed this. I saw them last year supporting The Beths and talked to them about the cricket world cup after the gig. GBOLs

1. Wills Dissolve - Echoes
  2. Mesarthim - The Degenerate Era
  3. Jason Molina - Eight Gates
  4. Panzerfaust - Suns Of Perdition Chapter II: Render Unto Eden
  5. Ovnev - Transpiration

Lots of good stuff this month. Top of the pile for me is the sprawling, experimental 3 hr, 44 song monster of a release from Matmos, who I’ve been poking at for two decades but never actually clicked with the music until now. Idris Ackamoor and Nubya Garcia both very close behind with probably my top two jazz releases of the year so far (with Art Blakey and Jyoti this month as well it’s been superb for jazz).

1. Matmos: The Consuming Flame: Open Exercises in Group Form
  2. Idris Ackamoor and the Pyramids - Shaman!
  3. Nubya Garcia - SOURCE
  4. Marlowe - Marlowe 2
  5. Victoria Monet - JAGUAR

1. Bent Arcana - Bent Arcana
  2. Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song
  3. Art Blakey & The Messengers - Just Coolin’
  4. Jyoti - Mama, You Can Bet!
  5. Timothy Duval - Help
  6. Son Lux - Tomorrows I
  7. Westelaken - The Golden Days Are Hard

No 1 is a surprise to me, even in an uninspired month:

1. The Killers - Imploding the Mirage
  2. Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song

Given the time between completing an album and release, I wonder when we are going to hit a dearth of major releases brought on by lockdown. Still a fair bit in the pipeline for September and October.

Yeah was having this conversation with pals at the weekend - the majority of stuff that’s come out over lockdown has been ready to go prior to it, so there’s for sure a 4+ month drought coming at some point.

Wonder if any/many will skip or fast track the usual PR campaign to get things out quicker

1. Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song
  2. International Teachers Of Pop - Pop Gossip
  3. Bright Eyes - Down In The Weeds, Where The World Once Was

1: Microphones - Microphones in 2020
2: Young Jesus - Welcome To Conceptual Beach
3: Dark0 - Zero 2
4: Popcaan - Fixtape
5: Duval Timothy - Help

In their own way, these are all extraordinary records. Went into this month with absolutely zero expectations, so amazing to come out with five records I really love.

Had that on repeat this afternoon, brilliant record. Will check out some of the others you mention as not familiar.

2 Likes

I think Microphones has been covered plenty here. It’s stunning.

Young Jesus is hard to describe… I dunno, proggy acoustic rock? Would normally make me vom but it’s really well done and really interesting. Songs are really strong.

Dark0 is sort of instrumental grime / electronic r’n’b. Reminds me a lot of Mssngno.
Good review on much maligned RA here:

Popcaan is dancehall-y with added Drake now. I lost interest in him a while back, but found this really engrossing. The Soundcloud version is a mixtape and better sequenced, reminds me a bit of Piracy Funds Terrorism. Far too long at 90 mins mind.

1 Like
  1. Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Songs
  2. Angel Olsen - Whole New Mess
  3. Lily McKown - Backseat Driver

Struggled this month

1. Bright Eyes - Down In The Weeds Where The World Once Was
  2. I Like Trains - Kompromat
  3. Alex The Astronaut - The Theory Of Absolutely Nothing
  4. A. G. Cook - 7G
  5. Gardens & Villa - Gordon Von Zilla Presents

Very good month. Wasn’t expecting a Bright Eyes album to be my favourite! Some other artists from this month also:

The Cradle, Josephine Foster, Duval Timothy, Son Lux, Aukai, Bloodbath64, Aidan Knight

I reckon you might like the HC McEntire album?

1 Like

I’ll give it a go later. Cheers

Also not strictly an ‘album’ so didn’t include it, but this CCL Mix from the final Blowing Up The Workshop series is just… wow.

http://blowinguptheworkshop.com/project/ccl

Kinda ambient but features Lyra Pramuk, The Congos, Cocteau Twins, Duritti Column.