DiS Users' August 2020 Album Of The Month - The Results

Struggling a bit this month in part because I’ve used August to catch up on albums I missed earlier in the year and haven’t paid as much attention to new releases as I normally would.

Two albums really stand out for me in August though:

1. The Microphones - The Microphones in 2020. First time I heard this I thought it wouldn’t be something that stands up to further listens but I’ve now heard it 7 or 8 times and it is still rewarding.
  2. Alex The Astronaut - The Theory of Absolutely Nothing - much of this was familiar as many tracks have been released as singles but it holds together really well as an album

My next three I am less familiar with but left a good first (and second) impression and I look forward to spending more time with

1. Girl Friday - Androgynous Mary
  2. Calum Martin, Craig Armstrong - The Edge of the Sea (uses Gaelic Psalms as it basis and is quite beautiful)
  3. HC McEntire - Eno Axis

Special mention for I LIKE TRAINS - Kompromat

2 Likes
  1. The Microphones
  2. Less Bells
  3. Kelly Lee Owens
  4. Siavash Amini

Roll on Sufjan and Sarah (Davachi) September!

1. The Microphones - The Microphones in 2020
  2. Narrow Head - 12th House Rock
  3. Double Grave - Goodbye, Nowhere!

The Microphones album feels more like a singular experience than a regular rotation album, but it’s a great one.

Narrow Head is for fans of 90s alternative. They’re on record as being heavily influenced by The Smashing Pumpkins and Deftones, and I’m also hearing some early Feeder and a bit of Trail of the Dead / Sunny Day Real Estate, among others. I’m really enjoying this and it’ll be the album I listen to most from this month going forward.

https://narrowheadtx.bandcamp.com/track/night-tryst-2

Double Grave feels in some ways like lower stakes, bouncier early Strange Ranger (especially vocally) mixed in with a bit of Yuck and Ovlov’s midtempo stuff maybe? It’s neat how the album suddenly turns into an early Pumpkins psych drone near the end, especially with it being slightly hinted at and quickly abandoned in one of the opening songs.

5 Likes

Narrow Head album is awesome, going to be my second place too. You might like my 3rd place album, Kid Dad.

1 Like
  1. Biffy Clyro - A Celebration Of Endings
  3. KID DAD - In A Box
  4. PVRIS - Use Me
  5. Widowspeak - Plum

1. Metallica - S&M2
  2. Crown Lands - Crown Lands
  3. Angel Olsen - Whole New Mess
  4. James Dean Bradfield - Even In Exile

Never heard of them before, I’ll check them out. Thanks for the recommendation!

1. Kelly Lee Owens - Inner song
  2. Cut Copy - Freeze, Melt

Not really heard much new stuff this month.

1. Biffy Clyro - Celebration of Endings
  2. Bully - Sugaregg
  3. GBV- Mirrored Aztec
1 Like
  1. Jason Molina - Eight Gates
  3. Barringtone - Bonanza Plaza
  4. Sevdaliza - Shabrang
  5. Marlowe - Marlowe 2

Also enjoyed Young Jesus, I Like Trains, Kelly Lee Owens, The Microphones, Double Grave, Richard Dawson, The Lemon Twigs, James Dean Bradfield, Bright Eyes

1.HC McEntire - Eno Axis
2.LA Witch - Play With Fire
3.Carla J Easton - Weirdo
4.Angel Olsen - Whole New Mess
5.Peter Broderick - Blackberry

1 Like
  1. Young Jesus - Welcome To Conceptual Beach
  2. Kelly Lee Owens - Inner song
  3. Marlowe - Marlowe 2
  4. Sevdaliza - Shabrang
  5. No Joy - Motherhood

Can’t recommend the Young Jesus LP enough.

5 Likes
  1. Duval Timothy - Help
  2. Kelly Lee Owens - Innersong
  3. Boldy James - The Versace Tape

Haven’t listened to anything else enough this month. Would urge everyone to listen to the Duval Timothy album - it’s really special.

1 Like

If I hadn’t only just heard the Young Jesus album this week I reckon it would be higher up the ranks

1 Like

It’s absolutely superb isn’t it? Not something I’d normally be into, but can’t really fault it.

1 Like

Agreed, it really is. Can drift over me a bit but when you really focus on it, it’s so good.

Yeah really love it, songs go off in all directions but really works as a whole LP. I love the track Root & Crown, his voice/ harmonies are so good.

1 Like
  1. Kelly Lee Owens
  2. Idris Ackamoor and the Pyramids
  3. Jason Molina
  4. Angel Olsen

Bit disappointed by the Angel Olsen but it may grow on me. KLO is great.

1. Victoria Monét - JAGUAR
  2. Another Sky - I Slept On The Floor
  3. Fireboy DML - APOLLO
  4. Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song
  5. Sevdaliza - Shebrang
1 Like

Changing mine to:

1. HC McEntire - Eno Axis
  2. Girl Friday - Androgynous Mary
  3. L.A. Witch - Play With Fire
  4. Bully - Sugaregg

Gave HC McEntire a listen after I saw @jack_on_fire had as their top pick. Brilliant album. Hadn’t heard of the artist before. Cheers.

1 Like

I’ll count the scores up later. Not sure when exactly but get your votes in before noon please.