DiS Users' August 2021 Album Of The Month - THE RESULTS

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. Ishmael Ensemble - Visions Of Light

2. Orla Gartland - Woman On The Internet

3. The Joy Formidable - Into The Blue

Ishmael Ensemble are a new band for me. Not usually my go to genre. A sort of mellow jazz electronica. Maybe a mix between The Comet Is Coming and Portishead on occasions. Whatever genre they are, that album is brilliant. Brilliant live act and nice guys too. Easily my top pick of the month.

The Orla Gartland album is a good pop album. Perhaps easy to dismiss on first listen as generic but gets pretty good after repeated listens.

The Joy Formidable do their usual thing on their new one. Good album.

There’s a few others I’ve listened to but will revisit them, check out your recommendations and tomorrow’s releases before completing my top 5. I’ve mainly been listening to Fightmilk, Desperate Journalist and Torres this month.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 5th September so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

Surprised to discover the Joy Formidable are still going.

Sadly Lockdown totally kills my ability to enjoy music really.

1. Wednesday - Twin Plagues
  2. Lingua Ignota - SINNER GET READY
  3. Laura Stevenson - Laura Stevenson
  4. Elizabeth Owen - Knock Knock
  5. Chorusing - Half Mirror
1 Like

Yeah i have a massive list of new releases but cant be arsed. End up listening to stuff i know or podcasts rightnnow

1 Like

These albums are out tomorrow according to albumoftheyear.org. Not sure if any are already out digitally. There’s a few I’ll need to hear before deciding on my top 5.

Yann Tiersen
Steve Gunn
Marisa Andersen & William Tyler
Chvrches
Halsey
Goat
The Bug
Big Red Machine
Haïku Salut
Nite Jewel
Space Afrika
Indigo De Souza
Maisie Peters

2 Likes

(In my case it’s because my daughter is here needing home schooling and I get almost no time where I can risk having headphones on and am constantly getting interrupted. If not for her I would probably be mainlining new albums like mad just to give me something to take away the horror.)

1 Like

Also out tomorrow…

Turnstile
The Bronx

2 Likes

Bloody hell. Didn’t realise they have a new release. Love their stuff. They’re mesmerising live too.

It’s been a crazy month for releases. Was already struggling to trim down a top 5 and then today Turnstile, The Bronx, Chvrches and Halsey have all released albums which will potentially completely change my top 5.

1 Like
  1. Ty Segall - Harmonizer
  2. Half Mirror - Chorusing
  3. Sturgill Simpson - The Ballad of Dood and Juanita
  4. Men I Trust - Untourable Album
  5. El Michels Affair meets Liam Bailey - Ekundayo Inversions

Additional good vibes from Steve Gunn, Maya Elise, and the Habibi Funk 2 comp

1 Like
  1. Wednesday - Twin Plagues
  2. Haiku Salut - The Hill, The Light, The Ghost
  3. Steve Gunn - Other You
  4. Madi Diaz - History of a Feeling
  5. Evan Wright - Sound From Out the Window

Liars - The Apple Drop
Metz - Live at the Opera House
Ty Segall - Harmonizer
Wednesday - Twin Plagues
Deafheaven - Infinite Granite

1. the Killers - Pressure Machine
  2. Ty Segal - Harmonizer
  1. The Killers - Pressure Machine
  2. Jungle - Loving In Stereo
  3. Steve Gunn - Other You
  4. Joy Orbison - still slipping vol 1
  5. Deafheaven - Infinite Granite

Habibi Funk 2 has been one of the highlights of the month, but I’m guessing we dont include compilations in these charts? Saves me a headache if not as five very good records here anyway.

The Killers album hit harder for being so unexpected, and I’m expecting some serious indie points for adopting a ‘prefer their later stuff’ stance; Jungle produced a record of summer bangers that have been an instant hit on day trips over the last couple of weeks; Steve Gunn’s lovely woozy album is proving a cracking late summer, early evening soundtrack; there’s a real satisfying blend of house/garage/electronica beats, synths and family voice notes from Joy Orbison; and the Deafheaven record sounds immense with one of the best production jobs of the year.

All in all, a lot better than August had any right to be :sunglasses:

1. Andrew Wasylyk - Balgay Hill: Morning In Magnolia
  2. Liars - The Apple Drop
  3. CHVRCHES - Screen Violence
  4. Halsey - If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power
  5. ToiToiToi - Vaganten

Found it hard to choose between my top 2, despite how vastly different they are, but I think Liars are going to do well in a lot of folks’ lists anyway. The Halsey album was a genuine surprise; was not expecting it to work and yet it really does.

1 Like

Turnstile is probably my AOTY

5 Likes

Turnstile
Liars
Nite Jewel
The Killers
The Bug

Yes. Crunchy riffs lots of energy and hits quite hard but is also super playful and fun

Probably my fav rock record in a long time

1. Wormwood - Arkivet
  2. Unreqvited - Beautiful Ghosts
  3. Modern Rites - Monuments
  4. Sugar Horse - The Live Long After
  5. Wolves in the Throne Room - Primordial Arcana
  1. Ishmael Ensemble - Visions Of Light
  2. Indigo De Souza - Any Shape You Take
  3. Hasley - Is I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power
  4. Orla Gartland - Woman On The Internet
  5. Haiku Salut - The Hill, The Light The Ghost

My amended picks. Indigo De Souza and Ishmael Ensemble’s are probably equal top but will give it to the latter as they’re nice guys.

Haiku Salut’s album is very good too. Love to see it performed live. Their live performances are always stunning.

1 Like