DiS users best films of 2019 POLL

Last Black Man is the least seen great English language film this year imho

1 Like

I’ve made my mind up on this post and I agree with half of it (Burning is a top 5 of the decade imo, irishman is very good, full of great performances and has a remarkable final sequence but is flawed and far too long)

Loved that

4 Likes

Eighth grade didn’t fully click with me but I understand the praise it’s given and wish it all the best

1 Like

Watched For Sama the other day and I can’t really judge it as a piece of art really as it just completely broke me so much. I was actually physically curled into a ball in tears after it had finished. One of the most important pieces of filmmaking I think there has been this century tbh.

Toy story 4 was decent enough fun but largely disappointing for me

Really left me a bit cold but that might have been down to elevated expectations perhaps.

Ooh well now you mention it my five bad ones are probably

1. The Dead Don’t Die
  2. Velvet Buzzsaw
  3. The Beach Bum
  4. Once upon a time in Hollywood
  5. Vox Lux

It was very middling to me yeah

Seems it came out long before 2019!

The direction and score and use of music alone puts it above most other things this year for me, I felt so engaged in their world and universe. Less blown away by the story but still

1. Eighth Grade
  2. The Nightingale
  3. Midsommar
  4. Monos
  5. The Farewell

Best documentary: One Child Nation
Best surprise: Detective Pikachu
Most disappointing: Sunset
Worst film: The Perfection

2 Likes

Oh my yeah, that was a shocker

The Beach Bum is the Harmony Korine one right? Not had chance to see that yet

It is and it’s terminally boring.

The only 2 films I’ve seen this year that I’ve actively disliked have been once upon a time in Hollywood and wreck it Ralph 2: Ralph breaks the Internet.

March 2019 here though

1. The Kitchen
  2. IT: Chapter Two
  3. Ma
  4. Happy Death Day 2U
  5. Out of Blue

The premise doesnt fill me with much hope but I’m a bit of an apologist for him so will seek it out anyway

YOU LEAVE MA OUT OF THIS

3 Likes

That was precisely my reason for watching it, can only imagine enjoying it extremely high.