DiS Users' February 2018 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

Excellent month for me. US Girls and Joan As Policewoman are my joint favourites by a mile. So much going on in the US Girls album and Pearl Gates is easily my track of the year so far. I’ll put JAPW as first by a hair though. It soothed shit commutes after totally appalling days at work for me this month and she was really nice for the 30 second chat I had with her when I got my album signed at Rough Trade East.

1. Joan As Policewoman - Damed Devotion
2. U.S. Girls - In A Poem Unlimited
3. Brigid Mae Power - The Two Worlds

4. Hookworms - Microshift
5. Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus
6. Superchuck - What A Time To Be Alive
7. Loma - Loma

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 4th March and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

Friday New Releases Thread 23/2

1. Hookworms - Microshift
2. Ought - Room Inside the World
3. The Soft Moon - Criminal

Turnstile is the only thing out tomorrow which I liked but it’s not going to break that top three. Otherwise, quite enjoyed the Franz Ferdinand record, and just checking out American Nightmare’s new one which is actually pretty decent, but yeah, happy with those three.

Shout out to South Londoners Happy Accidents too:

1. Hookworms
  2. Loma
  3. Marlon Williams

1. Hookworms - Microshift
  2. The Orielles - Silver Dollar Moment
  3. EMA - Outtakes From Exile

Haven’t listened to much new stuff this month but ^those are all properly great tbh tbf.

Also noticed on the tube last night that Hookworms have real-life advertising out there, which I found very heartwarming for some reason…

I’m going to wait to vote, but I just wanted to plug the Horseflies album Sea Control. I had never heard of them before until someone mentioned them on here, but they’re great.

“Slow Choke” is a highlight:

1. Ought - Room Inside the World
  2. Joan As Police Woman - Damned Devotion
  3. Hovvdy - Cranberry
  4. GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
  5. Hookworms - Microshift

Perhaps a tad premature. No 1 is cemented though. Enjoyed Loma on first listen and still to spin U.S. Girls, Pianos Become The Teeth, Car Seat Headrest and The Orielles

indie rock lads party for me this month

1. MGMT - Little Dark Age
  2. Hookworms - Microshift
  3. Field Music - Open Here

but a big shout out to ultimate lad Laurie Anderson for her album Landfall with Kronos Quartet, which has a dark beauty I am falling in love with.

Ezra Furman
U.S. Girls

Too soon for me. Waiting to hear today’s releases including Olden Yolk and Lo Moon. [That’s not a vote @BMS1, not yet at least.] Lot’s of great releases to choose from this month, IMHO.

New Releases 23/2/2018

Just a quick reminder that Rae Morris released a really good album this month and everyone should probably listen to it and then recast their votes :slightly_smiling_face:

Will vote later on once I have listened to more stuff from the past two weeks, but just coming in to encourage people to listen to Hannah Epperson, who will most likely be my number one.

Listen to this track with its beyond-lovely violin sounds:

Barely listened to anything new this month. Although I am giving that U.S. Girls one a go now; it’s good.

Ezra Furman was OK. And Hookworms too. Kinda preferred The Hum but it might be a grower.

sooo.

1. US Girls
  2. Ezra
  3. Hookworms

1. The Orielles : “Silver Dollar Moment”
  2. Hookworms : “Microshift”
  3. Happy Accidents : “Everything But The Here And Now”.

A great bunch of lads (and lassies).

Very intrigued by this ^!

It’s great. The concept is all about Hurricane Sandy and major flooding. Kronos are all broody and have quite a few tracks without Laurie, but then she pops up to be descriptive/mystical/funny along the way. The tracklist gives you an idea:

CNN Predicts A Monster Storm
Wind Whistles Through The Dark City
The Water Rises
Our Street Is A Black River
Galaxies
Darkness Falls
Dreams
Dreams Translated
The Dark Side
Built You A Mountain
The Electricity Goes Out And We Move To A Hotel
We Learn To Speak Yet Another Language
Dawn Of The World
The Wind Lifted The Boats And Left Them On The Highway
It Twisted The Street Signs
Then It Receded
The Nineteen Stars Of Heaven
Nothing Left But Their Names
All The Extinct Animals
Galaxies II
Never What You Think It Will Be
Thunder Continues In The Aftermath
We Blame Each Other For Losing The Way
Another Long Evening
Riding Bicycles
Helicopters Hang Over Downtown
We Head Out
Everything Is Floating
Gongs And Bells Sing
Old Motors And Helicopters

^THAT is a tracklist tbh tbf…

30 tracks clocking in at 1 hr 9 mins ooooft!

Edit: this has only just whetted my appetite for it more @Gert

I aim to whet

Will report back :wink: