DiS Users' February 2019 Album Of The Month

1. Cass McCombs - Tip Of The Sphere
  2. Cosey Fanni Tutti - Tutti
  3. Traffik Island - Nature Strip
  4. Panda Bear - Buoys
  5. Health - VOL. 4 :: SLAVES OF FEAR

Missed out the vote last month but thought it was a really strong start to the year and have been regularly listening to those Deeerhunter, Tim Presley, Better Oblivion, Malibu Ken and William Tyler records throughout the past couple of weeks. Found February to be much quieter, release wise: mainly sticking to the five albums above. Should give that Jessica Pratt album a spin.

Gotta thank @PaintyCanNed for bringing the Traffik Island album to my attention - it’s a wonderful kinks-esque psych pop wonder! You’d also mentioned ORB ages ago and I finally got round to them - The Space Between is a frickin’ blast! Cheers man!

It’s amazing how good this month is and yet it doesn’t seem like any consensus picks are emerging. I think my list will end up with a couple on it that aren’t on anyone else’s lists at all

1 Like

1.Business Of Dreams - Ripe For Anarchy
2.Savage Mansion - Revision Ballads
3.Julia Jacklin - Crushing
4.Du Blonde - Lung Bread For Daddy
5.Anemone - Beat My Distance

1 Like

Tough one to call and rank this month - lots I’ve liked if not perhaps as much I’ve really loved as January.

I’ll go with:

1. Yann Tiersen
  2. Julia Jacklin
  3. Spielbergs
  4. Desperate Journalist
  5. Du Blonde

Order could well change in coming weeks and I also enjoyed Ladytron and Beirut both of whom could easily have made the top 5.

1 Like
  1. Theon Cross
  2. Julia Jacklin
1 Like
  1. Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth
  2. Ghost Halo - Ritual Phonecalls
  3. worriedaboutsatan - Revenant
  4. Julia Jackin - Crushing
  5. Lowering - Sleep In Perpetual Storm

Very entertaining month…

1. International Teachers Of Pop - International Teachers Of Pop
  2. Ladytron - Ladytron
  3. Julia Jacklin - Crushing
  4. Unloved - Heartbreak
  5. Cosey Fanni Tutti - Tutti

No love anywhere else for the International Teachers Of Pop album?!? You are all scum* :rage:

Seriously though, it is really good fun. Check out the video for the lead single featuring no less than Maxine Peak :smiley:

1 Like

Really loved the Interantional Teachers singles - just not sure the album came up to the same standard.

That and that February was an insanely good month for new albums!

Scum :rage::rage::rage:

Just joking - I had only heard one single before picking up the album, so approached it pretty fresh as a whole. Love it - 40 minute blast of non-stop fun. First track I heard was The Ballad Of Remedy Nilsson and it reminded me of Army Of Lovers :smiley:

Always a few weeks behind so this is MASSIVELY provisional but…

1. Teeth of the Sea
  2. Cherry Glazerr
  3. Pye Corner Audio
  4. Ithaca
  1. Julia Jacklin - Crushing
  2. Desperate Journalist - In Search of the Miraculous
  3. Spielbergs - This Is Not the End
  4. Tiny Ruins - Olympic Girls
  5. Boy Harsher - Careful
  6. Ithaca - The Language of Injury
  7. Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth
1 Like

Solid month, not 100% on the order, but for now, lets go:

1. Nivhek - After Its Own Death / Walking In A Spiral Towards The House
  2. Bvdub - Explosions in Slow Motion
  3. Efdemin - New Atlantis
  4. Bayonne - Drastic Measures
  5. James Place - Still Waves To A Whisper
  1. Spielbergs - This Is Not the End

That’s it for me, I didn’t get a chance to do too much exploring this month.

1. Spielbergs
  2. Girlpool
  3. FEELS
  4. Bellows
  5. And the Kids

Again just wanted to highlight the awesome range of this month - so far 3 of my 5 don’t feature on anyone else’s lists, and I’ve noticed that trend with several other lists too!

Spielbergs is the best anthemic indie rock album since idk … Japandroids debut? The run of Five on It to Familiar is basically peerless, and while it’s a little samey by the end I couldn’t care less.

Girlpool is so varied, great mix of indie rockers, ballads, some shoegaze and electronic experiments - surprised it’s been so slept on. FEELS is just good post-punk with some nice flourishes, Bellows is gorgeous and haunting (though all basically one mood) and And The Kids is another good slice of varied indie.

Honourable mentions to Savage Mansion (would be higher but the first song is the best which is always an issue) and Dave Harrington Group for some really cool textured instrumental lovely noisiness.

1 Like

I saw And The Kids twice on a week’s holiday in NYC in 2015 (I think). Great live. Loved the record they were touring back then. I think one of the gigs that they played was as support to the main bloke out of Superchunk doing a solo set. (Mac something, I don’t know his name without Google-ing.)

Thanks for the heads up of that album. I haven’t heard their name mentioned in years.

1 Like
  1. Ithaca - The Language of Injury
  2. Teeth Of The Sea - Wraith
  3. Minors - Abject Bodies
  4. Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock
  5. Astronoid - Astronoid
  1. Bob Mould -Sunshine Rock
  2. V/A - Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990
  3. Martin Frawley - Undone at 31
  4. Max Gowan - Bygones
  5. Traffik Island - Nature Strip

Bob Mould’s newie might even his best of this Merge era, which is saying a lot - all superb albums. The Japanese ambient compilation has led me on to lots of other excellent discoveries. Bottom 3 are fairly interchangeable, and Cass McCombs or James Yorkston could easily have made it in there. All albums I’m likely to return to. I also quite enjoyed SWMRS and Spielbergs.

1 Like
  1. Julia Jacklin- Crushing
  2. Desperate Journalist- In Search of the Miraculous
  3. Bob Mould- Sunshine Rock
  4. Cass McCombs- Tip of the Sphere
  5. Ladytron- Ladytron
1 Like
  1. Desperate Journalist - In Search of the Miraculous
  2. Methyl Ethel - Triage
  3. Modeselektor - Who Else
  4. Ariana Grande - thank u, next
  5. White Lies - FIVE
1 Like

For me Clive, it’s got to be :

1. Savage Mansion : Revision Ballads
  2. Desperate Journalist : In Search Of The Miraculous
  3. Bob Mould : Sunshine Rock
  4. Julia Jacklin : Crushing
  5. Pom Poko : Birthday

Honourable mentions for Yorkston, Yak and International Teachers Of Pop.

1 Like