DiS Users' February 2020 Album Of The Month - The Results

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd ,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My choices:

1. Peggy Sue - Vices
  2. Katie Gateley - Loom
  3. Beatrice Dillon - Workaround
  4. Lanterns on the Lake - Spook The Herd
  5. Boniface - Boniface

Not a classic month of releases for me but some good stuff out.

Despite the average reviews I really like the new Peggy Sue album. There’s some brilliant tracks on it and the marker of a good album for me sometimes is accidentally having it on repeat for two or three times and enjoying it.

Both Katie Gateley and Beatrice Dillon’s albums are out of my usual indie rock comfort zone but they’re excellent albums. Lanterns on the Lake album very good. Boniface album is nice.

I think the new Soccer Mommy album is out tomorrow. Not sure what else is. I’ll see if any tomorrow change my votes.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 8th March and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

Won’t be voting until I listen to Caribou and Wasted Shirt tomorrow, it’s been an outrageous month though. No 1 will be Tame Impala.

3 Likes

Gonna wait to vote but this has been a really strong month. Envy will be my number one though.

1 Like

Got The Orielles, Soccer Mommy, Caribou, Real Estate and Proper Ornaments coming out tomorrow - yeah, might just hold off with my top 5 until then…

Will Arca’s new track/movement/whatever it is count?

I don’t really have any rigid rules. If it’s at least an EP released in the month it’ll count. No Best Of’s or reissues.

Some people have differing opinions on when an album is released depending on its digital and physical release dates. I count the same album on different months on occasions.

But yes, if an artist releases a track that’s an hour long that’ll count too.

1 Like

Please consider my band’s album (out today) before voting lads :wink:

1 Like
  1. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
  2. Against All Logic - 2017 - 2019
  3. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
  4. Caribou - Suddenly
  5. La Roux - Supervision

Tame Impala is the first album for ages that has grown on me with every listen

2 Likes
  1. Agnes Obel - Myopia (I can’t get enough of this. It’s absolutely beautiful).
  2. Envy - The Fallen Crimson.
  3. Insect Ark - The Vanishing (after two listens, and following a recommendation from @UncleRetrospective which suggested that they sound like a metal band soundtracking a spaghetti western).
1 Like

Innit tho! Really thought it was meh first time. Bloody love it now. Gonna be hard to do a top 5 this month.

But I’ll give it a go though:

1: Moses Sumney - Græ Pt 1
2: Gil Scott Heron & Makaya McCraven - We’re New Again
3: Beatrice Dillon - Workaround
4: Caribou - Suddenly
5: Grimes - Miss Anthropocene

Madness that I’ve not found room for Against All Logic or Tame Impala or Boldy James, all of which would make top 5 in most other months and are all great.

Top 3 there would prob all have made my top 6 or 7 of 2019.

Yeh exactly the same, got through a few tracks and was like hmm not much here. Then each day I’ve listened just opened up more and now I love it more than any of their others.

1 Like

1 - Bambara - Stray
2 - Habibi - Anywhere But Here
3 - Shopping - All or Nothing
4 - Beach Bunny - Honeymoon
5 - Grimes - Miss Anthropocene

Tame Impala
Beach Bunny
Bambara

Even though I’m only 2 listens into Suddenly, I’m sure it’ll be my no. 1 I’m going to delay just to work the rest out

1. Spanish Love Songs
  2. Moses Sumney
  3. Beach Bunny
  4. Denzel Curry x Kenny Beats
  5. Allie X

Honorable Mention: Tennis

Very strong month, reckon the top 4 of this list have a shout for my eventual AOTY

Caribou is nice but doesn’t quite hold up to his best, Tennis is very strong but dint feel any strong urge to return. Soccer Mommy and Real Estate are nice but wouldn’t consider either essential. Grimes is tedious in spite of all its risks outside of the excellent closer and the Tame Impala was pleasant but far from memorable. The baffling production on the Bambara seriously handicaps what could’ve been a good album.

Very busy month. One of those where the order is pretty arbitrary because I haven’t had enough chance to absorb properly.

1. Against All Logic - 2017 - 2019*
  2. Racine - Quelque Chose Tombe
  3. Electric Indigo - Ferrum
  4. Katie Gately - Loom
  5. Daniel Knox - Half Heart: Songs from Twin Peaks

Honorable mentions
Beatrice Dillon
Habibi
Peter Zinovieff & Lucy Railton

Haven’t had chance to listen to the Eleh/NYZ Split LP
Also enjoyed giving a couple of spins to Pictish Trail and Soccer Mommy.

*and the 2 track E.P. released this month is probably my favourite thing of the year so far.

2 Likes

1 - Loathe
2 - Sunda Arc
3 - Envy

Quality stuff.

1 Like
  1. Against All Logic - 2017-2019
  2. Arca - @@@@@
  3. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
  4. King Krule - Man Alive
  5. Caribou - Suddenly