DiS Users' February 2020 Album Of The Month - The Results

What a strong month :open_mouth: For anyone who wanted Nick Cave to be more rocky again following Ghosteen, check out the Bambara album - it veers close to vintage Birthday Party at times…

1. Bambara - Stray
  2. Shopping - All Or Nothing
  3. The Orielles - Disco Volador
  4. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
  5. Gil Scott Heron & Makaya McCraven - We’re New Again

Judging from the voting, I should check out the Ghost Halo album :thinking:

1 Like
  1. Gil Scott Heron & Makaya McCraven - We’re New Again
  2. King Krule - Man Alive!
  3. The Orielles - Disco Volador
  4. Wasted Shirt - Fungus II
  5. Shopping - All or Nothing

Special mentions:
Traffik Island - Sweat Kollecta’s Peanut Butter Traffik Jam
Daniel Davies - Signals
Tycho - Simulcast
Obongjayar - Which Way Is Forward?

Undecided upon
Caribou - Suddenly

Great month with still so much more to check out. Love what Makaya McCraven has done with Gil’s final statement, finding new depths and the flow suits his style much more than Jamie XXs remixes did. Getting a lot out of King Krule’s latest woozy and miserable oddessey too. Then the Shopping, Wasted Shirt and Orielles records are all just flat out fun!

Sounds ace this ^! Cheers for mentioning it.

3 Likes

Where are my manners - here’s a link…

2 Likes

Dull note. I’ll do the count up before 12pm on Sunday this time. Get your votes in before then. Cheers.

Three GREAT albums in February. Each could have easily been a #1 vote had they been released in different months.

1. Post Louis - Descender
  2. Greg Dulli - Random Desire
  3. The Men - Mercy

There’s so much going on in the Post Louis album, in a good way. The songs and album as a whole unfold in unexpected but very natural directions, and it seems like every few hours I have a new sequence stuck in my head. In addition to the list of influences that @Severed799 posted, I can also hear or think there’s room for fans of Typhoon, Wye Oak, Wild Nothing, Hop Along, Hummingbird by Local Natives, ex:re, Billy Corgan (Machina and Zwan especially), Lilys, and even Mutual Benefit and Grizzly Bear. I hope this album gets the attention it deserves and you guys take off, I’m really excited to hear what you do next.

For 30 years now, Greg Dulli has released nothing but great albums and this one is no exception. I’m not sure what else to say about it other than that it’s very much a Greg Dulli album, and probably most in line with the last Twilight Singers album but a little bit punchier. He’s the best and it’s crazy that he’s never mentioned with the all-time greats.

The Men aren’t the noise punk band they once were and like many people, after two disappointing albums I was ready to write them off. I’m very glad I didn’t though, this new one is great start to finish. It’s an interesting mix of very slow, sparse songs and livelier 70s / early MTV sounding ones. At this point I think it’s passed Open Your Heart to become my second favorite of theirs behind only New Moon. Amazing comeback.

2 Likes

You gem! Much appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Quite sure this would look a bit different in a week. Haven’t had the chance to dedicate enough time to so many worthy releases

1. Wednesday - I Was Trying to Describe You to Someone
  2. Sepultura - Quadra
  3. Envy - The Fallen Crimson
  4. The Homesick - The Big Exercise
  5. Kvelertak - Splid

(A lot of) honourables:
Yppah - Sunset In the Deep End
Wasted Shirt - Fungus II
Post Louis - Descender
Greg Dulli - Random Desire
Bambara - Stray
King Krule - Man Alive!
Shopping - All or Nothing
Tape Runs Out - Sleepwalking Into A Fire
Loathe - I Let It in and It Took Everything

1 Like

Btw all y’all Big Thief fans should checkout Wednesday

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Def a good mix on influences there, Grizzly Bear I totally get

1 Like
  1. Lanterns on the Lake
  2. Soccer Mommy
  3. Spanish Love Songs
  4. Caribou

Lanterns on the Lake my clear number one and a bit of an obsession at the moment. Gorgeous and their best yet for me.

Biggest disappointment for me was Grimes - I liked art angels but found the new one borderline unlistenable.

Good month on the whole though and lots else to catch up on still.

1 Like
  1. Agnes Obel
  2. Bambara
  3. Spinning Coin

A great month for jazz, but Grimes takes the top spot. Like her or not, she’s releasing music like nobody else in my view. Extra bonus points awarded for the audacity of 4ÆM.

1. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
2. Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven - We’re New Again
3. Nyx Nótt - Aux Pieds de la Nuit
4. Moses Boyd - Dark Matter
5. Caribou - Suddenly

Nyx Nótt was my surprise find of the month. I was tempted to push up further, but settled on third. Limited coverage outside of The Quietus, but a beautiful project.

1. Caribou
  2. Grimes
  3. Lanterns on the Lake
  4. Sunda Arc
  5. Tame Impala
1 Like
  1. Caribou - Suddenly
  2. Futuro Pelo - A Bigger Splash
  3. Sol Seppy - I Am As You Are, Pt 1
  4. Boniface - Boniface
  5. Mieko Shimizu - I Bloom

1. Califone - Echo Mine
  2. Agnes Obel - Myopia
  3. Douglas Dare - Milkteeth
  4. Shelf Nunny - Utangatta
  5. Yani Martinelli - Astral

Not entirely sure Caribou is my number one yet, but will put it there for now.

(Sol Seppy would be recommended to anyone who liked the Agnes Obel album. Although unfortunately I didn’t like the Agnes album as much as her previous music, especially her debut which is still brilliant)

1. Guided By Voices
  2. soccer mommy
  3. Lanterns on the Lake
  4. The Homesick
  5. Beach Bunny

Best GBV album since August By Cake to my ears, covers loads of their best styles. Soccer Mommy sounds a touch too restrained but it’s still great and will only improve over time. LOTL has a few absolute beauties on there (especially Every Atom) and the last two are just good fun indie rock albums

1. Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven - We’re New Again
  2. Bambara - Stray
  3. Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone
  4. Sunda Arc - Tides
  5. Moses Sumney - grae pt 1
1 Like

1 Wednesday - I was…
2 Ben Seretan - Youth Pastoral
3 Brooke Bentham - Everyday Nothing
4 Bambara- Stray
5 coping mechanism - st

1 Like