DiS Users' February 2021 Album Of The Month - THE RESULTS

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. Sarah Mary Chadwick - Me And Ennuie Are Friends, Baby.

2. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview On Phenomenal Nature

3. Die Welttraumforscher - A Young Person’s Guide To The Early Welttraumforscher

4. Tele Novella - Merlynn Belle

5. Nana Yamoto - 夜明け前 (Before Sunrise)

The new Sarah Mary Chadwick album is sparse, raw, angry and excellent.

Definitely did enjoy the Cassandra Jenkins album like many of you have.

Die Welttraumforscher are a new band for me. They’re Swiss like Dadaism and Cesaro and could be described as a sort of German language version of Casiotone For The Painfully Alone. Worth checking out.

Tele Novella songs almost sound like nursery rhymes on occasions and enjoyed that, as I did Nana Yamoto

I thought I’d start the ball rolling before tomorrow’s releases. Julien Baker, Cloud Nothings and Blanck Mass have albums out tomorrow.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 7th March so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

Not been a stellar month for me, struggling for 5 that would break into January’s top 40, but maybe that all changes tomorrow.

Going to check out that Nana Yamoto now, heard a track on radio 6 yesterday that caught my attention but didn’t know the name or that she had a current album.

1 Like

Way better than January for me, three great albums just last week. Some contenders tomorrow as well, so will wait to vote.

Nana Yamato is really good

2 Likes

(meant as a reply to @BMS1 )

Thanks, really like the one Die Welltraumforscher song I’ve listened to just now, and Nana Yamoto sounds worth a listen also.

I think I have about twenty albums I’ve enjoyed this month, so will need to sort them out into some kind of order over this next week!

1 Like
  1. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE

I know it’s getting mixed reviews but I’m 3 listens in, fucking loving it and it’s probably second favourite album of the year overall thus far.

1. Mogwai - As The Love Continues
  2. Cult of Luna - The Raging River
  3. Octo Octa - She’s Calling
  4. Senwaya - Alkisah

Honourable mentions go to Giant Swan, Pauline Anna Strom, Conway The Machine and Serpente.

Been a good month!

1. Virgina Wing - private LIFE
  2. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE
  3. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview On Phenomenal Nature
  4. Mogwai - As The Love Continues

Besnard Lakes

1 Like
  1. Leila Bordreuil - Not an Elegy
  2. Mogwai - As the Love Continues
  3. Virginia Wing - Private Life
  4. Stereolab - Switched On Vol. 4

This is my favourite. Very reminiscent of Casiotone for me.

Yep, that’s the first one I heard and that I really liked. the other songs seem a bit more hit and miss, but will have another listen through.

1. The Weather Station - Ignorance (easily number 1, my favourite music to come out in ages)
  2. Nana Yamoto - 夜明け前 (Before Sunrise)
  3. Sun June - Somewhere
  4. Indigo Sparke - echo
  5. Smerz - Believer
  1. Mogwai - As the Love Cotninues
  2. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage
  3. Julien Baker - Little Oblivions
  4. Tindersticks- Distractions
  5. Cobalt Chapel - Orange Synthetic

Decent month.

1 Like
  1. Nick Cave/wWarren Ellis - Carnage
  2. Mogwai - As The Love Continues
  3. The Hold Steady - Open Door Policy
  4. A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Invisible Cities
  5. Julienne Baker - Little Oblivions

Last couple of weeks have been great.

Not much has grabbed me this month. I will go with:

1. Flyying Colours
  2. Nana Yamoto
  3. Editrix
  4. Octo Octa
  5. Mush
  1. Black Country, New Road
  2. Mogwai
  3. TV Priest
1 Like
  1. Cassandra Jenkins
  2. The Hold Steady
  3. Mogwai
  4. God Is An Astronaut
  5. Nick Cave

Really really good month. Best for a while for me.

1. Sun June - Somewhere
  2. Black Country, New Road - For The First Time
  3. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
  4. Lael Neale - Acquainted With Night
  5. Katy Kirby - Cool Dry Place

But there are a load of albums that may get in there…

The Weather Station, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Virginia Wing, Adeline Hotel, Aerial East, Karima Walker, Valley Maker and more. Plus a load of good EPs from Career, Miss Grit, Lizzie Reid, Clara Mann and Amelie Raoul.

1 Like
  1. Mogwai
  2. God is an astronaut.
  3. Cult of Luna
  4. Octa Octa.
  5. Tape runs out.
  1. Mogwai - As The Love Continues
  2. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
  3. Lael Neale - Acquainted with Night
  4. The Hold Steady - Open Door Policy
  5. Julien Baker - Little Oblivions