DiS Users' January 2017 Album Of The Month

This thread now into its 4th year. Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:

1. Austra - Future Politics
  2. Cherry Glazerr - Apocalipstick
  3. Bonobo - Migration

My choices might change after listening to the new Cloud Nothings and Allison Crutchfield albums but I thought I’d get the ball rolling with this thread.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 5th February and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

2 Likes
  1. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
  2. Austra - Future Politics
  3. The xx - I See You
1 Like

I’m really looking forward to what people say here, I’ve found this January really thin for stuff that’s interested me. I’m also you know, a sheep. So there’s that too.

4 Likes

thanks again for doing this, always discover some great stuff in these threads, early favourite this month is Julie Byrne, but going to hold of voting until I’ve checked out Japandroids, Cloud Nothings, Fred Thomas and Allison Crutchfield

1 Like

Uniform - Wake in Fright.

is the only thing really of note. Even with a new Flaming Lips it was a really slow month.

1 Like
  1. Run The Jewels - RTJ3 (it had it’s proper release this month)
  2. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
  3. Wiley - Godfather
1 Like

Shit I forgot about this! Will give it a proper listen this weekend.

This is why I’m glad for these threads : )

1 Like
  1. William Basinski - A Shadow In Time
  2. Wiley - Godfather
  3. Run The Jewels - RTJ3

Austra and The xx disappointed me. i like what they do, but in both cases they didn’t do enough. Flaming Lips new one sounds alright tho.

1 Like

Yeah tha Australia album really took a nose dive after Utopia for me, apart from I Love You More Than You Love Yourself which is a pretty good choon

1 Like

I’m really enjoying ‘LNLNN’ by Gidge (minimal electronica) and the Julie Byrne album.

Interested to hear Allison Crutchfield.

1 Like

Different strokes, different folks. I feel the opposite about Austra. I thought their first two albums are good but not brilliant. Really loving this current one. I had it on my headphones on the way to the train to Gatwick and then on the plane to Madrid and so was in a great mood on first listens. Still enjoying it back in cold dreary London.

i’ll be giving Bonobo a listen this weekend…what did you like about it?

I’d never heard of him/them before that album. I’ve very dull conservative tastes. The album just made my journey to and from work a tad better when listening on my headphones. It was just a really easy to listen to album. Hopefully, you’ll like it too. Let us know.

Anyone heard the Allison Crutchfield album yet? It sounds excellent. Sounds more like her sister’s Waxahatchee than Swearin’. Hopefully, she’ll be big enough for a UK tour on the back of this album.

listening now, and agree definitely hear the likeness to Waxahatchee. Really enjoying the instrumentation and 50’s vibe on a few of the tracks, has a similar feel to side A of Angel Olsens Woman from last year

1 Like

I’m really liking the new Joan of Arc album.

Loving the Flaming Lips new one - has a really claustrophobic feel about and some early '90’s Autechre sounding synth squelches for dramatic effect.

The XX one too gets a positive vote from me too - took a few listens but plenty of earworms contained within it.

1. Austra - Future Politics
  2. Brian Eno - Reflection
  3. Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - Patriots Day (OST)

Also really like what I’ve heard of the Elinor Rose Dougall album. Rambled about Austra in the intro to my weekly alternative to NewMusicFriday if anyone is looking for a way to keep up with new releases (tracks as well as albums out in the previous 7 days) http://independentmusicmonday.tumblr.com

1. Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody
  2. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
  3. The XX - I See You
  1. Cloud nothings
  2. The xx