DiS Users' January 2017 Album Of The Month

On paper it looked like a really strong month of releases, but i’ve not loved a lot really. Three or four records i’ve had on loop…

1. Surf Curse - Nothing Yet
  2. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
  3. Bonobo - Migration

Honourable mentions - The xx, Sundara Karma.

Other bits and bobs: The Slowdive track, ‘Falling From Grace’ by Michael Chapman.

1. Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life
  2. Throwing Snow - Embers
  3. Bonobo - Migration

Allow me a shoegazed-sized bump for the new Lowdive & Slowdive tracks too, if you will…

1. Mark Eitzel - Hey Mr Ferryman
  2. Ty Segall - Ty Segall
  3. The XX - I See You
  1. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
  2. The Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody
  3. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound

Really glad to see the Julie Bynre album gain a few fans on here. It’s the sort of airy, atmospheric album that I thought I would tire of quickly…but it’s still hitting the mark.

Expected to hate the new Cloud Nothings…though whilst it hasn’t got the raw energy and aggression from the last two, it feels like an emotional advancement, with plenty of earworms within.

1 Like
  1. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
  2. Shackleton / Vengeance Tenfold - Sferic Ghost Transmits
  3. Trypheme - Online Dating

Great month, eh?
That Julie Byrne album is just wonderful. Like @wonton above, I thought at first I’d tire of it quickly, but it’s one of those rare acoutsic albums (like Carrie and Lowell) that completely takes my breath away with it’s intricacy and atmosphere. The production is lovely (just the right amount of reverb) and there’s all manner of little flourishes which elevate the songs like the woodwind (?) swells in ‘Melting Grid’. Early days, but this is an AOTY contender for me.

Shackleton album is predictably great - he and VT clearly have a good thing going on and it feels like a worthy successor to MFTQH even if it never quite scales those lofty heights.

Trypheme album is IDM (shit genre name, yes, but a helpful reference) for 2017. Highly recommended if that’s your bag.

Updating my top 3

1. Julie Byrne
  2. Run The Jewels
  3. Wiley

Julie Byrnes album has stuck with me in a way o didn’t think it would, as alluded above the swells that dome of the songs have really make OT stand out from the breathy folk crowd.

1 Like

I typed that well didn’t i

Melting Grid is the most beautiful song I’ve heard in a long time.

Before I heard the album, my interest was piqued by “Natural Blue” and “Follow My Voice”…but there are quite a few even better songs to be found here.

1 Like
  1. Michael chapman - 50
  2. Flaming lips - Oczy Mlody
  3. Ty Segall - s/t
  1. Pas Pire Pop, I Love You So Much - Avec le Soleil Sortant de sa Bouche
    2.Near to the Wild Heart of Life - Japandroids
  2. Life Without Sound - Cloud Nothings

Strong month on paper, but nothing that really grabbed me. Sleater Kinney’s live album is good, but doesn’t suit the thread. Love these threads though, lots to investigate

No idea why it’s formatted like that btw. Wasn’t showing that way in the preview window. Should be 1,2,3.

1 Like

Ok. Noted.

I’ve still yet to hear the Cloud Nothings album. I’ll definitely check it out as I’ve tickets to their gig. Allison Crutchfield’s album will probably be my top pick.

Massive thanks as always BMS1 for doing this year after year.

Decent January, from what i’ve heard i’d say:

1. A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Iris
  2. William Basinski - A Shadow In Time
  3. Run The Jewels - RTJ3

I’ve only listened to the Julie Byrne once, which sounded decent, and enjoyed the Eno and Ritcher records too.

1 Like
  1. Mica Levi - Jackie OST
  3. The Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody

Also enjoyed:

• A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Iris OST
  • Mike Majkowski ‘Swimming in the Light’. Would have been in my top 3 but apparently was released on Dec 31st.
  • Not Waving ‘Populist’ but is an EP so don’t think gets counted.

Haven’t had chance to listen to but am looking forward to:

• Pye Corner Audio ‘Half Light’ (remixes of the Prowler LP)
  • Tape Loop Orchestra ‘Instrumental Transcommunications’
  • V/A Mexican Cassette Culture Recordings 1976-82 (expensive boxset & not on spotify so not sure I’ll actually get to hear anything other than clips, which sounded great)
  1. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound
  3. Ty Segall - S/T

Listened to Future Politics today after reading, its a cracker.

The Flaming Lips. Ozcy Mlody. Their best album since Yoshimi for me.
The xx. I See You. Was thinking they were one album wonders after Coexist, but thankfully not.
Minor Victories. Minor Victories Orchestral Variations. Great new versions of last year’s album.

1. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound
  2. Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody

That’s it I guess? I didn’t think the Japandroids album was very good. Not even too thrilled about the Flaming Lips one, there are some great moments but it’s also missing something and full of some cringeworthy ones. To me it’s definitely their weakest album since the pre-Transmissions stuff. The Cloud Nothings one has gotten much, much better with each listen.

Disappointing month, but hopefully February will be better with Peter Silberman and Tim Darcy.

Can I change mine by inserting the wonderful Culture by Migos as my no2 choice?

A fantastic album.

1 Like
  1. Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life
  2. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3
  3. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound