DiS Users' January 2018 Album Of The Month

This thread now into its 5th year proves that I’ve nothing better to do than to count up your choices for half a decade. Thanks:grinning:

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:
1. The Limiñanas - Shadow People
2. Shopping - The Official Body
3. First Aid Kit - Ruins

4. CupcakKe - Ephorize
5. The Go! Team - Semicircle

My choices might change after listening to the new Dream Wife and Calexico albums tomorrow but I thought I’d get the ball rolling with this thread. I need to listen more to the new Tune Yards album too; loved their previous but not the current on the first two listens.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 4th February and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

Biggest release day of the month is tomorrow…so you might need to change ALL your picks

I like the way you are thinking this month @bms1 :sunglasses:. As @wonton says big release day tomorrow, but, besides Ty, which has been streaming all week on NPR anyway, I cannot see anything really exciting coming out tomorrow. Of course, I only learned about Liminanas and Shopping this month, so the possibilities are endless. Such is life.

1. No Age - Snares Like A Haircut
  2. The Go! Team - Semicircle

Nils Frahm!

And I’ve been hoping Django Django would make a decent album since their first (very good) singles…so there’s that, too

Way I see it, If you can’t get your album out in time for BMS’s monthly thread coming out then you don’t deserve my vote :neutral_face:

1. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Wrong Creatures
  2. Shopping - The Official Body
  3. The Go! Team - Semicircle

Special mention to Venetian Snares for this month’s best album title ‘She Began To Cry Tears Of Blood Which Became Little Brick Houses When They Hit The Ground’. Unfortunately, the actual music is fairly unlistenable…

This is going to be tough. Been a great month with a lot of bangers lined up tomorrow.

Nils Frahm.

Is there anywhere you can find an accurate and complete list of what is due to come out on future Fridays? I’ve never managed to find one.

The only thing coming out tomorrow that I’m aware of Nils Frahm.

Album Of The Year and Metacritic both have upcoming stuff - no idea how exhaustive either is however…

@bornin69x - I start with allmusic and metacritic. But that is just a start … I wonder if anywhere can truly capture all releases in a particular week. There must be hundreds, surely? I guess those with particular genre interests have their own favourite sites.This place, i.e., DiS, gives me plenty to follow up each week. Even if many are not for me, I love the exploration of new music anyway.

Yep, @Petagno Petagno is right, there is also Album of the Year …

Metacritic. Anydecentmusic. Album of the year. Allmusic. Rateyourmsic.All have means to do this.

But i just raid metacritic and anydecentmusic on Friday morning for new releases rather than look in advance.

Found the list on AOTY, thanks. I’ve always previously just relied on reviews but of course they don’t always tell you when things are coming out and there seems to be an increasingly loose connection between when reviews come out and when the actual album comes out.

I like it when there is a weekly thread on here where people list the new releases they are looking forward to and then round up anything I’ve missed that appears in this thread.

I’m going to wait a little bit to vote, but I just wanted to plug Post- by Jeff Rosenstock in case anyone hasn’t heard it yet. I’d never listened to him before but really liked this.

Me neither but this along with Shopping’s record are my current frontrunners!

USA is already a frontrunner for SOTY
The album is also a frontrunner for AOTY

A new contender enters the picture]

Not heard anything about this album, recommend it to anyone who likes fuzzy lo-fi indie rock. Took a punt on it and like it’s energy and sense of melody

@BMS1 thanks for doing this again. Always find it interesting and find loads of new stuff. Out of interest what can I expect from dream wife? Never heard them before. As for me it will take a lot to rival first aid kit and Jeff rosenstock but also looking forward to the spook schools new one tomorrow

Scratch that I forgot about Jeff Rosenstock and changed my mind about the order:

1. The Go! Team - Semicircle
  2. No Age - Snares Like A Haircut
  3. Jeff Rosenstock - POST-