DiS Users' January 2020 Album Of The Month - The Results

This thread now into its 7th year proves that I’ve nothing better to do than to count up your votes for far too long now.

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd ,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My choices:

1. Alexandra Savior - The Archer
  2. Gill Landry - Skeleton At The Banquet
  3. Field Music - Making A New World
  4. The Big Moon - Walking Like We Do
  5. Georgia - Seeking Thrills

Alexandra Savior sounds similar to Lana Del Rey’s last year; a very cinematic and film soundtrack-y feel to it. Perfect for listening on cold winter days. Also, good mood music is Gill Landry’s album. A country singer with a mellow deep voice with some brilliant tracks on the album. Nothing new but it’s done very well. Shame the album hasn’t been picked up by most review sites.

From my other picks: The Field Music album is all over the place but I really like it. The Big Moon’s good but prefer Our Girl and the Georgia album is good too after repeated listens.

Honourable mentions to Keeley Forsyth, Ethan Gruska, En Attendant Ana and Kiwi Jr…

but tomorrow there’s album releases from Torres, Joe Gideon, Isobel Campbell, Squirrel Flower, Francis Quinlan, Gengahr, Poliça and the Smoke Fairies.

My whole top five might change. Huge album releases for me tomorrow.

Overall, a great start to 2020. I look forward to your mentions and albums that I’ve missed this month.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 9th February and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

2 Likes

1 Bonny Light Horseman - Bonny Light Horseman
2. String Machine - Death of the Neon
3. Macseal - Super Enthusiast
4. Kiwi Jr. - Football Money
5.Short Fictions - Fate Worse than Death

Been a canny month tbh.

1 Like

Kiwi Jr
Holy Fuck
Field Music
Ethan Gruska
Sarah Mary Chadwick

I’ve not been listening to much new stuff really, apart from the below, so I’ll just say these.

1. Aiming For Enrike - Music For Working Out
  2. Orc - Orc

It’s really appreciated. I’ve discovered lots of good music through these threads :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Definitely not Wolf Parade

2 Likes
  1. Kiwi jr
  2. Georgia
  3. Holy Fuck
  4. Okay Kaya
  5. of Montreal

Not a classic month by any means. Do love the Kiwi jr record doe. A lot of decent records but other than the 5 I listed nothing I’d revisit

Is Destroyer out tomorrow? If so, I’m waiting until tomorrow before dropping my vote.

Ignore me

Currently

1.Algiers
2.Holy Fuck
3.Of Montreal
4.Kiwi Jr
5.Georgia

1. Terry Allen & The Panhandle Mystery Band - Just Like Moby Dick
  2. Of Montreal - UR FUN
  3. Les Amazones d’Afrique - Amazones Power
  4. Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - Navarasa
  5. J Hus - Big Conspiracy
1 Like

Some interesting releases tomorrow so I’ll reserve voting until the last minute for this one!

1 Like

Yep. There’s a month’s worth of releases for me tomorrow alone.

1. HOLY FUCK
  2. Georgia
  3. En Attendant Ana
  4. The Big Moon
  5. Caspian

Tbh I’ve only really rinsed Holy Fuck, it wasn’t a vintage month for me.

1. Georgia
  2. Hatari
  3. Pintandwefall
  4. Holy Fuck
  5. Alexandra Savior
  1. Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
  2. Kiwi Jr - Football Money
  3. J Hus - Big Conspiracy
  4. Holy Fuck - Deleter
  5. …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - X

I’m really getting into the new Wolf Parade record.

2 Likes

1: Desire Marea - Desire
2: Ulla - Tumbling Towards A Wall
3: Jeff Parker - Suite for Max Brown
4: Destroyer - Have We Met
5: J Hus - Big Conspiracy

1 Like
  1. Wolf Parade
  2. Holy Fuck
  3. Destroyer
  4. Dan Deacon
  5. Squarepusher

Also impressed with Torres new album. Need more time with this and 3-5.
Can’t wait to see Wolf Parade in March. New album’s great.

Same here. Thought it was poor at first. Played it 3 times today and I’ve finally got it. Great album.

1 Like