1 Garganjua
2 Algiers
3 Holy Fuck

1 Like
  1. Holy Fuck - Deleter
  2. Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - Navarasa: Nine Emotions
  3. Aoife Nessa Francis - Land of No Junction
  4. Wire - Mind Hive

Well disregard my top 5. I’ve listened to Torres a lot the past day and I think its her best yet. Haven’t even moved onto all the other new releases yet

1 Like
  1. The Big Moon - Walking Like We Do
  2. Polica - When We Stay Alive
  3. Alexandra Savior - The Archer
  4. Halsey - Manic
  5. Torres - Silver Tongue

Think Big Moon will be in my top 10 of the year, absolutely loving it. Not spent enough time with Torres yet but already really into it.

2 Likes
  1. Alexandra Savior - The Archer
  2. J Hus - Big Conspiracy
  3. Holy Fuck - Deleter
  4. Frances Quinlan - Likewise
  5. Polica - When We Stay Alive

Good month but nothing really great for me. Alexandra Savior doing a good Lana impression edges out J Hus and Holy Fuck but the others could be interchangeable with loads of 7/10 releases… Bombay Bicycle Club, Gengahr, Helicon, The Professionals, Wolf Parade, OTHERLiiNE…

Great singles on the Georgia and Big Moon records but overall found them both a bit filler-heavy.

Really liked the Werkha and Wild Nothing EPs too.

1 Like

Very quiet month for me but still some nice low key music to enjoy:

1. Craven Faults - Erratics & Uncomformities
  2. Wayne Phoenix - Soaring Wayne Phoenix Story (Mini LP)
  3. Edmund Finnis - Brother (Mini LP)
  4. Squrl - Some Music for Robby Muller OST
  5. Against All Logic - Illusions of Shameless Abundance (EP)
1 Like
  1. Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
  2. Holy Fuck - Deleter
  3. Bonny Light Horseman - S/T
  4. Frances Quinlan - Likewise
  5. The Innocence Mission - See You Tomorrow

Close by; Kiwi Jr, Wolf Parade, Torres, Sarah Mary Chadwick, Squirrel Flower

Decent month tbh, considering the first 2 weeks were dead

My updated top 5

1. Torres
  2. Slotface
  3. Dan Deacon
  4. Kiwi Jr.
  5. Georgia

A significant turn around following a fantastic final day. Torres, Slotface and Dan Deacon may as well all be tied first as far as I’m concerned but somehow decided on this order. Torres recovers after landing on shakey ground with ‘Three Faces’ the new album ‘Silver Tounge’ is far better and more memorable with fantastic melodies and brooding with plenty of atmosphere. Slotface are currently one of the best new ‘pop rock’ band IMHO and the new album expands their sound significantly and is less one note than their enjoyable debut. Dan Deacon lost a lot of interest from me over the years with a couple of lacklustre mainline releases and ho-hum soundtracks leaving me thinking he peaked with ‘Bromst’ and was never set to recover but the new album is fantastic, if a bit too ‘wall of sound’ at times. Kiwi JR technically came out last year but didn’t get a wide international digital release until this year so it counts! Great Steve Malkmus impression, really good hooks. Georgia had the best high points out of all the records listed but failed to keep the momentum with a kind of ho-hum middle. But those peaks are mighty high and some of my fav synth pop in recent memory.

Special mentions: Destroyer, of Montreal, Holy Fuck, Andy Shauff, Halsey, Trail of The Dead, Alice Boman, Okay Kaya, Alexandra Savior all released good albums but weren’t anything too special… actually that might not be fair on Holy Fuck how narrowly miss out on number 5, that album bangs HARD. Poppy is also worth checking out for a homage to Nu-Metal and Bubblegum pop but wont see myself going back to it too often

Disappointed with Wolf Parade, Pet Shop Boys, Wire and Big Moon

The turd of the month: Eminem - just very very very very very boring… which probably makes his best album in 5 years… but if I’m being honest… sadly its Beach Slang which is really a shame as I thought they had potential once but this record sounds like a bit of a parody.

2 Likes
  1. Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
  2. Holy Fuck - Deleter
  3. Georgia - Seeking Thrills
  4. Kiwi Jr. - Football Money
  1. The big moon - walking like we do
  2. Sløtface - sorry for the late reply
  3. Craven faults - erratics and uncomformities
  4. Whyte Horses - Hard Times
  5. Squarepusher - Be up a hello
  1. “Mind Hive” - Wire
  2. “Sorry For The Late Reply” - Slotface
  3. “Repeater” - Holy Fuck
  4. “The Private Memoirs and Confessions of” - The Just Joans
  5. “New Turn” - Midpoint Union
  1. Jeff Parker
  2. Georgia
  3. Drive-by Truckers
  4. Craven Faults
1 Like

Nice to see Craven Faults getting some love in the latter part of this thread - who doesn’t love 20 minute moody synth workouts?

1. Craven Faults - Erratics And Unconformities
  2. Holy Fuck - Deleter
  3. Policia - When We Stay Alive
  4. Wire - Mind Hive
  5. Georgia - Seeking Thrills
2 Likes
  1. Field Music - Making a New World
  2. Algiers - There Is No Year
  3. Garganjua - Toward the Sun
  4. Sløtface - Sorry for the Late Reply
  5. Alexandra Savior - The Archer

Ridiculous amount of honourables: Georgia, Andy Shauf, Squirrel Flower, The Big Moon, Trail of Dead, Keeley Forsyth, Kiwi Jr, Wolf Parade, Holy Fuck, Son Little, Dan Deacon

1 Like

Very happy with the amount of love Sløtface appears to be getting. \o/ very enjoyable album

3 Likes
  1. Jeff Parker - Suite for Max Brown
  2. Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
  3. Penya & Msafiri Zawose - Penya Safari EP
  4. DJ Cactuar - Bolsonaro Paranauê
  5. Craven Faults - Erratics and Unconformities

Was thinking it was going to be quite a poor month until I came across the Jeff Parker album, which is so far ahead of anything else I have heard so far this year. Fantastic little nu jazz gem which reveals more and more of its intricacies every time I listen to it.

3 Likes

Loved their last album but the new one totally passed me by. Luckily I’ve just seen from this thread that they’ve got a new one which i will be listening to today. Pretty sure it’ll make my top 10.

1 Like
  1. Torres - Silver Tongue
  2. Destroyer - Have We Met
  3. Drive-By Truckers - The Unraveling
  4. Kiwi Jr - Football Money
  5. Algiers - There is No Year

had no idea Zawose had something new out! I love him. Bought a thumb piano off him when he played in London. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

1 Like