DiS Users January to June 2019 Favourite Album Vote (from the AOTM threads) THE RESULTS

Yeah, seems a bit mean spirited to imply album choices based on only noting big names is unbalancing or whatever. I don’t imagine the amount of chat around Hot Chip is purely because they’ve done an album a lot of people love: they are a known band as much as The National are.

If someone is a DIS poster and has taken the trouble to vote for a record it’s silly to assume that they’ve done so for any reason other than that they’ve listened to it and liked it. Of course they are more likely to have listened to a band they’ve liked before but I would be surprised if people posting on here hadn’t listened to a fair few of the records on the long list.

6 Likes

Also an odd comment as a very one paced, plodding indie rock album is running away with it by the looks of it (big thief)

2 Likes
  1. Weyes blood
  2. Anderson paak
  3. Julia jacklin
  4. Freddie gibbs & madlib
  5. Big thief
  6. Carly rae jepsen
  7. Spielbergs
  8. Self esteem
  9. Press club
  10. Better oblivion community centre

Surprised the Anderson paak album isn’t in the shortlist/getting more love. It’s brilliant

I haven’t given it nearly enough time yet actually. This and the last one really haven’t grabbed my like Malibu did

Didn’t like oxnard much, really enjoying ventura though.

1. Fontaines DC
  2. The Twilight Sad
  3. The Comet is Coming
  4. Better Oblivion Community Centre
  5. Desperate Journalist
  6. Press Club
  7. Julia Jacklin
  8. Holly Herndon
  9. Thom Yorke
  10. Rafael Anton Irisarri
  1. Petrels - The Dusk Loom
  2. Thom Yorke - ANIMA
  3. Rafael Anton Irisarri - Solastalgia
  4. Heather Woods Broderick - Invitation
  5. CHAI - Punk
  6. American Football - LP3
  7. Holly Herndon - PROTO
  8. Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth

EDIT - if BVDUB’s Explosions In Slow Motion was on that list, it would be my number one choice without a doubt

1 Like

People are voting for lots of records I don’t like as well, but that’s different from suggesting that the people voting for them don’t genuinely like them themselves.

Oh don’t worry, I hate every record in my top 10 with a passion. haven’t even listened to them in some cases.

I have obviously and the long list has given me a lot of bits I’ve not explored yet

1 Like
  1. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
  2. Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
  3. Fontaines DC - Dogrel
  4. The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery
  5. Better Oblivion Community Centre - S/T
  6. Desperate Journalist - In Search Of The Miraculous
  7. Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride
  8. The Twilight Sad - it won/t be like this all the time
  9. Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars
  10. Madonnatron - Musica Alla Puttanessca

I haven’t even listened to mine, I just chose the ones that I thought would make me look cool.

6 Likes

Typical DiSser

1 Like
  1. Madonnatron - Musica Alla Puttanessca
  2. Little Simz - Grey Area
  3. The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery
  4. Self Esteem - Compliments Please
  5. Hayden Thorpe - Diviner
  6. Vanishing Twin - The Age of Immunology
  7. American Football - LP3
1 Like

I am sorry for derailing the thread here - really didn’t intend to call into question the legitimacy of the voting process or cast doubts as to anyone’s motives for voting; whilst not fully tongue-in-cheek, my comment was really just a throwaway thought arising from the fact I thought the National album was very tedious and in a month when consensus in the voting thread was that it was a particularly rich month for good releases, and I recalled a few people voting for it whilst saying they had yet to catch up with some albums. I’m not surprised to see that 20 votes in nobody has it in their top 10 yet.

But just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean I have any right or reason to sneer at someone who does, so I also apologise for any offence caused.

The nature of the beast means that the national will always do well in these threads. Let’s say 80% of dissers will listen to any national album (might well be higher). Even if three quarters of those people think it’s dull and only a quarter of them like it, that means that the national could get votes from 20% of the board, enough to place fairly high even though most national fans don’t rate it. Maybe only 20%of dissers have listened to, I don’t know, Stella Donelly, but almost all of those who have loved it (let’s say 95% of those who listen to it love it) then Stella Donnely can’t poll as high as the national.

Nothing wrong with the national and nothing wrong with how people vote but you have to realise with aggregation you’ll always get anomalous results like this where mediocre records by Better known bands outperform amazing records by less well known ones.

1 the comet is coming
2 Freddie gibbs and Madlib (madgibbany?)
3 Big thief
4 little simz
5 teeth of the sea
6 Tyler the creator
7 weyes blood
8 press club
9 Malibu Ken
10 kelsey lu

1. Holly Herndon
  2. The Comet is Coming
  3. Chemical Brothers
  4. These New Puritans
  5. Malibu Ken
  6. Little Sims
  7. Self Esteem
  8. Thom Yorke
  9. Black Midi
  10. Vanishing Twin

Feels like it’s been a very strong year so far - loads of stuff left to check out…

1. Nivhek - After Its Own Death / Walking In A Spiral Towards The House
  2. Julia Jacklin - Crushing
  3. These New Puritans - Inside The Rose
  4. The National - I’m Easy To Find
  5. Rafael Anton Irisarri - Solastalgia
  6. Cate Le Bon - Reward
  7. Rozi Plain - What A Boost
  8. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time
  9. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
  10. Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride
1 Like