DiS Users' July 2018 Album Of The Month

Will have to check out Muir, I love a bit of Biosphere.

1 Like
  1. Body/Head
  2. Deafheaven
  1. Years & Years - Palo Santo
  2. All Saints - Testament
  3. Lotic - Power

1-Ty Segall & White Fence - Joy
2-Wild Pink - Yolk In The Fur
3-Deaf Wish - Lithium Zion

1. Deafhaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
  2. Ovlov - TRU
  3. Deaf Wish - Lithium Zion

I’d never listened to Deafhaven before since that type of vocals typically isn’t my thing, but I’m loving this. I’m hearing so many bands that I wouldn’t have expected (Jimmy Eat World, Alice in Chains, Zwan, Twilight Singers, Blonde Redhead, etc.) but it’s all assembled into something massive and very different from all of them. The outros to Honeycomb and Worthless Animal are so, so good, and the piano in the one with Chelsea Wolfe is really making me want another Twilight Singers album. I can’t wait to give the older albums a shot later this year.

Ovlov have made a really enjoyable album again. It’s not quite as aggressive as the debut, but the catchiness and fuzz and well written songs are still there, and it’s getting much better on every listen. The drums are extremely punchy on it too. For fans of Swearin’ and Yuck and Dinosaur Jr maybe? “Tru Punk” is probably the highlight with its gradual build.

The Deaf Wish album has been a great surprise, I’d never heard of them before but I’m really enjoying this. It hasn’t clicked as a whole yet, but there’s something about it that keeps drawing me back to it and each time another song stands out from the rest. For fans of Sonic Youth, early Trail of the Dead, and the faster songs on Sun Coming Down by Ought maybe? The closer “Smoke” is the latest one to deliver for me:

1 Like

Yes! The track Metal Carnage especially has a very strong early AYWKUBTTOD vibe going on. Really enjoying the album too… probably going to be in my top 3 also

2 Likes

Yeah this is great

Yeah, that song is so good! And it feels like it could fit right onto the self-titled album.

It finally just clicked for me as a whole, this is fantastic. I highly recommend that people give this a real shot, it gets better and better every time.

I love how the title track gradually builds and builds to that driving riff at 2:37.

Going to have to completely agree with @TAFH33 here:

1. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
  2. Ovlov - Tru
  3. Deaf Wish - Lithium Zion

Thought the month started off pretty poorly but picked up as it went on with some really good releases. Honourable mentions go to:

Birds in row - We Already Lost The World
Skeletonwitch - Devouring Radiant Light
Phantastic Ferniture - Phantastic Ferniture

1 Like

Thanks to those that mentioned Death WisH. Never heard of them before your replies. Nice one. Great album.

1 Like
  1. Deafheaven - ordinary corrupt human love
  2. RP Boo - I’ll tell you what
  1. Ty Segall & White Fence - Joy
  2. Bodega - Endless Scroll
  3. Dirty Projectors - Lamp Lit Prose

Joy is another awesome addition to both Ty & Tim’s catalogues; sounding much more similar to the latter’s DRINKS project than I was expecting but that was a welcome surprise nevertheless. Only discovered Endless Scroll through this thread as mentioned by @aweirdexits above (cheers m9!) and I really dig their Parquet Court-ish vibe. Lamp Lit Prose is a glorious return to form record from Dave Longstreth & co; full of summery mood boosters!

Really enjoyed the Body/Head, Ovlov and Mattiel (thanks @BMS1!) albums too but need to spend a bit more time with them. Haven’t listened to the Deafheaven record.

1 Like

1 Deaf Wish - Lithium Zion
2 Tony Molina - Kill The Lights
3 Ty Segall & White Fence - Joy

1. The Ophelias - Almost
  2. Ovlov - TRU
  3. Mathew Lee Cothran - My First Love Mends My Final Days

Only heard the new Ophelias album for the first time today but it was an instant number 1 for me, just perfectly geared towards my tastes while still sounding fresh and different enough not to be predictable.

The Ovlov album is good with potential to grow on me more over time. I’ve liked Elvis Depressedly more than any other MLC stuff I’ve heard but the new one is lovely sweet and melancholic nonetheless.

Honourable mentions to BOGEDA and Smokescreens (not mentioned nearly enough, lovely driving jangle-rock - if you like Rolling Blackouts then I’m sure you’ll be into this too).

1. Chastity - Death Lust
  2. Bodega - Endless Scroll
  3. Denzel Curry - TA13OO

THE RESULTS:

1.Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love 23 points
2.Ovlov - Tru 9 points

Joint 3rd Bodega - Endless Scroll
Dirty Projectors - Lamp Lit Prose
Ty Segall & White Fence - Joy all on 7 points.

6.Deaf Wish - Lithium Zion 6 points
7.Years & Years - Palo Santo 5 points
8. Jake Muir - Lady’s Mantle 4 points

Joint 9th. Albums by:
Body Head
Chastity
Laurel Halo
Mattiel
Ross From Friends
Steve Hadfield
The Ophelias all on 3 points.

5 Likes

A quiet month.

1 Like

Totally forgot to vote before the deadline. Don’t think it would have changed much in the way of scoring. Although a slightly quiet month quality has been high for me. Really enjoyed Deafheaven and think that the Wild Pink record Yolk in the Fur will feature in my end of year list. Highly recommend checking it out. It’s been compared to War on Drugs but for me it’s closer to Death Cab with heavy Americana influences. Will echo the thanks to those who mentioned Deaf Wish. Loving it. Tony Molinas most recent ticker all the boxes for me too. Away to check out Ovlov on the back of the results

Only just got into them this month after being recommended their debut and was thrilled to discover that early Death Cab was clearly an influence. Yolk in the Fur didn’t quite hit the same heights for me though, felt like it lack some of the rawness and lyrical bite.

In contrast to this I haven’t actually heard their debut so will definitely be checking it out after your recommendation cheers

1 Like