DiS Users' July 2020 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My choices:

1. Taylor Swift - Folklore
  2. The Pretenders - Hate For Sale
  3. Advertisement - American Advertisement
  4. The Chicks - Gaslighter
  5. Illuminati Hotties - Free I.H. : This Is Not The One You’ve Been Waiting For

Imagine if Bon Iver came on stage to a sold out Taylor Swift audience.

The Pretenders album is one of their best and it’s basically a brilliant collection of singles. The Buzz and Maybe Love Is In NYC are classic Pretenders style songs and could easily make it on any of their Best Of albums. Definitely worth checking out.

I hadn’t heard of Advertisement before this album. Sort of a country tinged Okkervil River sound and I enjoy the repeat listens to this whilst walking around in the sun. Excellent album.

The Chicks is a fun county pop album and Illuminati Hotties is a short but very sweet album.

My top three makes July a very strong month for me.

I’ll adjust/add to my choices after tomorrow’s releases maybe. Not sure what’s out tomorrow apart from The Naked And The Famous.
Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 9th August and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1. Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today
  2. Jessy Lanza - All The Time
  3. Animal Collective - Bridge to Quiet

Nice to see the Chicks getting a mention, the surprise album of the month for me; really quite enjoyed it over multiple listens and wouldn’t normally be my cup of tea. Might not end up in my top 5 as there was a lot I liked last week that I’m still weighing up and there are quite a few albums I’m looking forward to tomorrow (Rival Consoles, Max Richter, Fontaines DC, Romare, Shackleton & Zimpel) but it’s already made the promotion from my monthly playlist to my best of the year playlist.

3 Likes
  2. The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers
  3. Taylor Swift - Folklore

All great. Top 2 will likely be in my top 5 at the end of the year, and Folklore is really growing on me.

2 Likes
  1. Jessy Lanza - All The Time
  2. Julianna Barwick - Healing Is A Miracle

Haven’t listened to much else this month, but that’s 2 of the best of the year so far

Some great albums released this month, the top 3 or maybe all 5 are likely to feature in my end of year list.

1. Executioner’s Mask - Despair Anthems
  3. Havukruunu - Uinos Syömein Sota
  4. A. A. Williams - Forever Blue
  5. Battle Dagorath - Abyss Horizons
1 Like

Second really strong month in a row, keep these great albums coming plz!

2. Denai Moore - Modern Dread
  3. NZCA Lines - Pure Luxury
  4. Sofia Portanet - Freier Geist
  5. The Chicks - Gaslighter
Honourable Mentions:

Jessy Lanza - All the Time
Lianne La Havas - S/T
Katie Dey - Mydata
The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers

1 Like

What will be (not should be) the Winner this month?

• Taylor Swift
  • Protomartyr
  • Jessy Lanza
  • The Beths
  • Something else (please specify)

0 voters

1.A. A. Williams - Forever Blue (aoty so far)
2.Protomartyr - Ultimate success
3.Bdrm- Bedroom
4.Julianna Barwick- Healing is a miracle
5.Crack Cloud - Pain Olympics

2 Likes

I’m going to wait for tomorrow’s releases to vote, but since no one seems to be talking about it, I just wanted to remind everyone that Cloud Nothings released a very good album this month.

1 Like
  1. AA Williams - Forever Blue
  2. Lightning Orchestra - Source & Deliver
  3. Chris Forsyth / Dave Harrington / Ryan Jewell / Spencer Zahn - First Flight
  4. Taylor Swift - Folkore
  5. Crack Cloud - Pain Olympics
2 Likes

There’s seems to be a lot of quality out today. So I’ll need to get back to you on this. Kthanxbye.

1. Julianna Barwick - Healing is a Miracle
  3. illuminati hotties - FREE I.H: This is Not The One You’ve Been Waiting For
  4. Dehd - Flower of Devotion
  5. Yo La Tengo - We Have Amnesia Sometimes
  1. Taylor Swift - Folklore
  2. JARVis - Beyond the pale
  3. bdrmm - Bedroom

Not being on Spotify is really screwing them over here

1 Like

Yup, would listen to it if I could, but they chose for me not to be able to :man_shrugging:t2:

i’ve remembered and forgotten to check it on YT 3 times today already!

1 Like

Definitely, though I get the sense a lot of people have kind of forgotten about them or written them off in recent years. It’s weird to me, I think they’ve gotten significantly better.

I don’t think they’ve actively got better, but they have been consistently good and reliably one of the best alt-rock bands going at the moment. Always changing their style up slightly but still recognisably them

I’d have thought they’d have a pretty solid loyal fanbase of people who like that genre, but the last/only time I saw them at the start of last year they’d only like half sold a 600 person venue? I know they’re not the flavour of the moment by any stretch, but having previously been a bit of a buzz band and still making good interesting music it seemed a little sad

3 Likes
  1. The Residents - Metal Meat N Bone
  2. Sofia Portanet - Freier Geist
  3. Protomartyr - Ultimate Success
  4. Jarv Is - Beyond The Pale
  5. Lianna La Havas - S/T
1 Like