Another solid month :+1:

1. Snapped Ankles - Forest Of Your Problems
  2. The Go! Team - Get Up Sequences Part One
  3. Billy Eilish - Happier Than Ever
  4. Darkside - Spiral
  5. Bobby Gillespie and Jehnny Beth - Utopian Ashes

Did not realise this was out…

1 Like
  1. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow!
  2. Eliza Shaddad - The Woman You Want
  3. John Murry - The Stars Are God’s Bullet Holes
  4. LUMP - Animal
  5. Darkside - Spiral

Great month. Desperate Journalist addictively good and an album of the year contender already. Eliza Shaddad deserves more attention, really powerful and memorable, big advance on her first album.

Other 3 not had much of a look in, but really enjoyed all 3 based on 1 or 2 listens, John Murry in particular.

1 Like

1.Lump - Animal
2.Torres - Thirstier
3.Steven Fretwell - Busy Guy
4.Tom Williams - Follow The Leader
5. John Murry - The Stars Are God’s Bullet Holes

1 Like
  1. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
  2. Yola - Stand For Myself
  3. Ora The Molecule - Human Safari
  4. Alan Vega – After Dark
  5. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow!
1 Like

Great month. There’s been a lot ‘less’ but what there has been is absolute quality.

1: Dave - We’re All Alone In This Together
2: Koreless - Agor
3: Moin - Moot!
4: John Glacier - SHILOH: Lost for Words
5: Darkside - Spiral

Top 2 are basically inseparable. Aside from the James Blake monstrosity, the Dave album is just so strong, front to back, and he’s really finding his own unique voice - there are better rappers, or more interesting producers, but it’s just the whole package with him. Lyrics are astonishingly good, and it flows really, really well whilst covering a ton of ground. Koreless, I just don’t understand why there isn’t more love. Reminds me a lot of the Barker album - I just love the sound design, and three or four real bangers. Was totally blown away by it, can’t stop playing it.

Moin was a real surprise for me, again - think many here who wouldn’t check out stuff on AD (formerly Whities) normally would love it. Like Slowdive or Slint with a more modern production tint.

John Glacier is everything I hoped it would be. Low-key, off centre, but it really works. Can feel quite throwaway at first, but she’s just so sharp. It’s a lovely record, and a nice deviation from a lot of U.K. rap.

Darkside is cool. If it was the debut people would be falling over themselves about it, but ‘Psychic’ was so strong that it’s been deemed a bit… safe? Kinda disagree, it’s a great record to lose yourself in, and I just love what Jaar and Harrington do, what can I say? The last two tracks are killer.

Others!
Billie Eilish is a 9/10 record that’s absolutely nobbled itself by being too long. Chop 20 mins and there’s an astonishing record there. She’s such a great writer…

George Riley is glorious FFO UK hip-hop, rnb. Again, it’s quite low key, but it’s really lovely. Full of warmth and some killer tunes. Why is she not getting massive?

Ran Cap Duoi is totally mad, but it’s worming it’s way under my skin. Mad noise slips into droning ambience, with some cool songs buried under it all.

Mega Bog needs more time, but she’s also a great writer and I like how off-kilter it is. Think this will end up high come end of year, but haven’t quite got it yet.

Need to spend more time with Emma-Jean Thackray & Isaiah Rashad, both seem good, but haven’t got in to them properly yet.

But Vince Staples is really unlucky not to make the Top 5. Can’t understand how people are disappointed with it. Sure, I know people want a ‘big statement’ but this is so lean that not a second is wasted. He’s just immense.

2 Likes

Almost put this as my number 5. The record is a bit slight, but there are lots of nice moments. Based on Spotify stats they are incredibly popular, so I guess they won’t be crying when they find out they didn’t crack my top 5.

Quiet month for me. New releases wise anyway.

1. Midwife - Luminol
  2. Bordreuil/Rowden - Dust
  3. V/A - Choctaw Ridge
  1. Arushi Jain - Under The Lilac Sky
  2. Mega Bog - Life, And Another
  3. Emma-Jean Thackery - Yellow
  4. Alan Vega - After Dark
  5. William Tyler & Luke Schneider - Understand

Also enjoyed releases by Darkside, Neil Brogan, Dusted, Torres and Connan Mockasin & Ade

1 Like
  1. Koreless - Agor
  2. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever

I’d include Kessler’s EP at number one, but don’t think I can get away with a 4 tracker on here.

Can I move new discovery Marcel Duchamp up to number one in my list please - absolutely loving the album and the strange glorious sounds in it. I’ve missed excessively big bands! My new list is now:

4 Likes
  1. LUMP - Animal
  2. Dave - We’re All Alone In This Together
  3. John Murry - the stars are god’s bulletholes
  4. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
  5. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow!

Done.

1 Like

Midwife - Luminol

Where we sleep - The Scars They Leave

Erdve - Savigaila

Paradise Lost - Live at the mill

Traitrs - The Sick, the tired & III

Can I change my top 5 please? Had a chance to listen to some of the recommendations in this thread and realised the Tyler album was last month (I got the album title wrong too!)

1. Billy Eilish - Happier Than Ever
    Love the production with some great lyrics. Mostly slow and introspective with a couple of bangers e.g. Oxytocin (amazing song)

2. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow!
    Thanks everyone for highlighting this one - love it! Lots of great songs, think Poison Pen and Was It Worth It? are my favourites at the moment

3. Sault - Nine
    Starting the get the hype around Sault after this. Short album with powerful message. Light’s in Your Hands is great closer.

4. Torres - Thirstier
    Not heard any Torres before but really enjoying this. Don’t Go Puttin Wishes in My Head is one of my favourite tracks of the year so far.

5. Midwife - Luminol
    Another one I learnt about in this thread. Cathartic, soothing heaven metal (I think she calls it!). Could fall asleep to this (in a good way!).

Honourable mentions to DARKSIDE, Bleachers, The Goon Sax and Dave. Great month!

2 Likes

Welcome to the boards! FYI that Sault record was also June (it came 2nd in the equivalent poll last month), in case you want to bump another album up.

1 Like

Thanks. In that case, I’ll bump up DARKSIDE :+1:

1 Like
  1. Midwife - Luminol
  2. A Place to Bury Strangers - Hologram EP
  3. Wavves - Hideaway

Everything Midwife does is great. Colorado in particular is one of the best songs of the year, it feels like the end of the world.

People seem to really be sleeping on the new A Place to Bury Strangers EP. Can’t stop listening to it, there isn’t a weak moment on there.

Think this is my favorite release from Wavves since the Cloud Nothings collaboration in 2015. Way better than I was expecting. Tracks 2, 5, and 6 are especially good.

Yeah, take IR off the 5th spot. It’s not really clicking for me at the moment.

1. Willow - Lately I Feel Everything
  2. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow!
  3. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
  4. King Woman - Celestial Blues
  5. Year Of No Light - Consolamentum

1. Torres - Thirstier
  2. Midwife - Luminol
  3. Vince Staples - Vince Staples
  4. Wavves - Hideaway
  1. John Murry - The Stars are God’s Bulletholes
  2. TORRES - Thirstier
  3. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow!
  4. The Goon Sax - Mirror II
  5. Leon Bridges - Gold-Diggers Sound
1 Like