DiS Users' June 2018 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:
1.Petal - Magic Gone
2. Virginia Wing - Ecstatic Arrow
3. LUMP - LUMP
4. Neko Case - Hell-On
5.SOPHIE - Oil Of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides

I really enjoyed Petal and Virginia Wing. I hadn’t heard of either prior to their releases. LUMP were great fun at their album launch at Rough Trade East.

I liked Neko Case and SOPHIE. I’ll have to give both further listens especially Neko Case as I’ve her gig in a few months at The Barbican.

I’m hoping at Let’s Eat Grandma’s new album tomorrow is as good as the hype. I liked their debut and saw them live during Vision Festival a couple of years ago. Crap name obviously but give them a chance if you haven’t heard their stuff.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 8th July and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

I’ll do a six monthly album of the year vote but purely from the top 10s of my AOTM threads after this count up. It’s been vaguely interesting in previous years. Always a good place to see different user’s tastes and likes.

Thanks for sorting this.

My top three of this month are
1 Kayne west and kid cudi - kids see ghosts
2 Leon vynehall - nothing is still
3 Sophie - oil of every pearl

Will need to check out neko case album.

1 Like

This has been a ridiculous month - one of the best ever for new albums. My numbers one and two are clear cut and both records I expect to be in my top five at the end of the year. There are at least five other albums this month that I love, that could have been top choices in any other month.

1. Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
  2. Lykke Li - So Sad So Sexy
  3. The Wave Pictures - Brushes With Happiness
  4. Hilary Woods - Colt
  5. Rolling Blackouts CF - Hope Downs
  6. Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of
  7. Protomartyr- Consolation

One I’ve enjoyed as much as any of those (but was released on 30 May so doesn’t count) is Whack World by Tierra Whack. Anyone who hasn’t heard it (or better still, watched it) really should. It’s only 15 minutes long - what have you got to lose?

I have hardly listened to anything new this month so looking forward to see what you all get back with so I can get listening! :+1:

1 Like
  1. Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of
  2. Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
  3. Zeal and Ardor - Strange Fruit
1 Like
  1. Jack River — Sugar Mountain

My most listened to albums this month seemed to come out last month, so I’ll have to guess what I’ll be listening to most next month…Er…

1. Bill Baird - Nightly Never Ending
  2. Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
  3. Gruff Rhys - Babelsberg
  4. Kiefer - Happysad
  5. Binker and Moses - Alive in the East?

Probably missed out something I really liked…oh well…

I’ll have to inform mother to ready my very best corduroy slacks, as there will be dancing in this old town tonight.

1. The Finest Kiss - Filter
  2. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Hope Downs
  3. Vital Idles - Left Hand

Great month!

1. Let’s Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears
  2. Sophie - The Oil of Every Pearl…
  3. Natalie Prass - The Future and the Past

Also been all over Kids See Ghosts and K.T.S.E. but think the ones above just beat them.

1. Father John Misty. God’s Favourite
    2 Wave Pictures - Brushes With Happiness
  2. Lump - Lump
  1. Lets Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears
  2. Hilary Woods - Colt
  3. Gui Boratto - Pentagram

Number 3 could have been any one of a number of ok albums. As it’s summer, I went for this.

1. Colin Mawson - Miniature Epiphanies
  2. Let’s Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears
  3. Shaahin Saba Dipole - Reverence

Crikey, what a month - any of these could have been my favourite really. Miniature Epiphanies is one of the finest IDM albums of the year. I’m all Ears is art pop bangers which are full of musical depth. And Reverence is the dubbiest of dub techno.

1 Like
  1. Hilary Woods - Colt
  2. Lykke Li - so sad, so sexy
  3. Nine Inch Nails - Bad Witch

An extremely great month. My choices:

1. Get Well Soon - The Horror
  2. Jonathan Bree - Sleepwalking
  3. Let’s Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears

Hilary Woods - Colt
Kadhya Bonet - Childqueen
The Saxophones - Songs Of The Saxophones
J Colleran - Gardenia

and also had a brief listen to Oneohtrix Point Never and SOPHIE, neither of whom I’ve listened to before, but they sound interesting so will investigate.

1 Like

1 J Colleran

=3 Gruff Rhys / Melody’s Echo Chamber

1. Khemmis - Desolation
  2. Yob - Our Raw Heart
  3. Charlie Looker - Simple Answers
  1. Virginia Wing
  2. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
  3. Melody’s Echo Chamber

VW needs loads more attention, get on it guys. DANCEHALL is my runner up for this month, just felt Melody had a bit more replay value with all the layers.

2 Likes
  1. Jon Hassell - Listening to Pictures
  2. Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of
  3. Kanye & Kid Cudi- Kids See Ghosts

I haven’t got to everything I want yet, but right now:

1. Kamasi Washington - Heaven And Earth
  2. Let’s Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears
  3. Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

Also of note this month: Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - Annihilation OST and the Disintegration State label sampler

1 Like
  1. Hilary Woods - Colt
  2. Rolling Blackouts - Hope Downs
  3. Virginia Wing - Ecstatic Arrow

Great month, enjoyed Leon Vynehall and Tangents LPs also.