DiS Users' June 2021 Album Of The Month - The Results

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. Greentea Peng - Man Made

2. Emotional Oranges - The Juicebox

3. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

4. Johanna Samuels - Excelsior!

5. White Flower - Day By Day

Really love the feel of the Greentea Peng album. A brilliant jazzy, soulful hip hop summer record and had it on repeat for about a week during the heatwave earlier in the month. Highlights tracks for me are Free My People and Meditation. I didn’t mind the album’s long length as the album flowed so well for me.

Never heard of Emotional Oranges before and another great record that’s usually not my go to genre and another perfect summer record. My only negative is that it’s a bit too short. Worth a listen if you haven’t yet.

Liked the new Wolf Alice but after several listens it still hasn’t cracked and despite liking it not sure if I’ll go back to it too often.

Johanna Samuels’ album is a good folky rock album and White Flower’s shoegaze album is worth a look into too.

I thought I’d start the ball rolling before tomorrow’s releases. Some promising albums out tomorrow. Modest Mouse have a new one although for me they’ll never top Lonesome; a near perfect album and found their others hit and miss. Lucy Dacus has one out and John Grant too.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 4th July so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1 Like

There’s a lot out tomorrow:
https://www.albumoftheyear.org/upcoming/

1 Like

I am hoping for an AOTY contender from Tyler the Creator tomorrow as Igor was my favourite of 2019

3 Likes

yeah this is the main album I can see challenging for my AOTM - put Lumberjack on a loop about 15 times when I first heard it

But J-Brekkie and Wolf Alice are a very strong top 2 currently

SAULT out tomorrow too

1 Like

My list for the month got beaten up pretty badly today :smiley:

4 Likes

my potential AOTY might not even be AOTM after this!

1 Like

Can we delay this decision until, say, the first week of July 2022?

4 Likes

Unbelievable month!

1. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
  2. Daniel Avery - Together in Static
  3. Gaspard Augé - Escapades
  4. SAULT - Nine
  5. Kings of Convenience - Peace or Love
  1. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000
  2. Tyler the Creator - Call me if you get lost
  3. Dean Blunt - Black Metal 2
1 Like

Going to need time this month.

Two months’ worth of great records released on 25 June.

5 Likes

Shit was Dean Blunt this month? Definitely feels like there has been a lot. Havin said that August looks positively barren at the moment, apart from Lorde.

Still no idea of what will be in my top five, but I’m certain that Loraine James will be my number one. That record is incredible. I hope it doesn’t get forgotten because it came out at the start of a very strong month.

1 Like
  1. Alessandro Cortini
  2. Lowering
  3. Eli Keszler
  4. Daniel Avery
  5. Modest Mouse
  1. MJ Guider - Temporary Requiem
  2. Night Beats - Outlaw R&B
  3. Roy Montgomery - That Best Forgotten Work
  4. Hattie Cooke - Bliss Land
  5. SAULT - Nine

Honorable mentions
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Dean Blunt
Blue Orchids
Squirrel Flower

1 Like

1. SPELLLING - The Turning Wheel

2. Greentea Peng - Man Made

3. Emotional Oranges - The Juicebox

4. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

5. Johanna Samuels - Excelsior!

My revised choices.

1. Amenra - De Doorn
    Belgian post metallers’ 7th studio album and the first to not be titled Mass. Still sounds pretty bloody massive though! Crushingly excellent!
  2. Thy Light - Thy Light EP
    It may only be two tracks but together they total 36mins, and I can’t stop playing them! Melodic/depressive black metal
  3. Thy Catafalque - Vadak
    Only heard this for the first time today but I can tell I’m in for a lot of repeat listens! Thanks @Kovacs77 for the recommend! Not sure how to describe the music, avant-garde, blackened progressive folk with some added synths :man_shrugging:???
  4. King Buffalo - The Burden of Restlessness
    Less heavy than anything else in the list but I really enjoy the riffs, ffo early QOTSA, Mastodon etc.
  5. Bossk - Migration
    Although a bit disappointed with the amount of “proper” songs on the new Bossk album, the ones that are there are stellar post metal!
3 Likes
  1. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
  2. Lucy Dacus - Home Video
  3. 2nd Grade - Wish You Were Here Tour Revisited
  4. Squirrel Flower - Planet (I)
  5. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Honourable mentions

White Flowers
Chloe Foy
Maple Glider
John Myrtle
Louien (EP)

1 Like

Had this down as a mid may release to and voted in the may thread for it. Was it physically released this month then?

It’s my error. I saw a review of it a couple of weeks ago and assumed it was a June release and didn’t read the bit where it says when.

I’ll cancel it as my 5th choice and see if there’s anything else to put there.

Proper good though innit

1 Like