DiS Users' March 2017 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

Easily the best month worth of releases in many years for me. Very little to pick between my top 4 at all. My top 4 are all more or less equal top picks but I’ll abide by my own rules and will rank them.

1. Valerie June - The Order Of Time
  2. Desperate Journalist - Grow Up
  3. Grandaddy - Last Place

1. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoirs
  2. Adia Victoria - How It Feels
  3. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me
  4. Kelly Lee Owens - S/T

There’s still Goldfrapp for me to check out tomorrow. Their new three songs are great as were those I heard earlier in the week at The Roundhouse.

Valerie June’s record is a plain and simple beautiful soulful and folk record. Nothing avant garde about it; just brilliant melodies with a stunning voice.
The Desperate Journalist album is brilliant follow up to their debut and EP; they’re probably the best British indie band around currently for me.
I hadn’t heard any Grandaddy for years but loved the new one.
The Magnetic Fields’ album will probably come into its own after many listens. 50 songs like their 69 Love Songs will take me many months and years to get into and enjoy; I loved what I got into so far.
Adia Victoria’s cover album is excellent too. Worth checking all her stuff out. Such a underrated artist.
Mount Eerie’s album could not be anymore depressing. But brilliant. Not one for a morning’s commute on the tube on the earphones. I heard it whilst pottering around the flat. It’s all about the lyrics. I’ll give it another few listens with a cup of coffee or something stronger whilst sat down on a kitchen chair.
Kelly Lee Owen’s album is just a great, fun album. I liked the songs released earlier but this debut is excellent.

An absolutely brilliant month for me and I hope to get some more recommendations from you guys as usual.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 9th March and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

In reference to the AOTM thread

Fucksake. Some numbering issues after I submitted the post.
Valerie June, Desperate Journalist, Grandaddy, The Magnetic Fields, Adia Victoria, Mount Eerie and Kelly Lee Owens in that order. Not sure what happened there.

It’s a Crow Looked at Me with a fucking silver bullet

A heartwrenching listen. Possibly the most emotionally laid bare album I’ve ever heard

I know what the best album is, it’s mount eerie, but I dont think I can rank it number 1 as I dont think it’s my favourite album to listen to if that makes any sense at all?

Anyways

1. The Residents - The Ghost Of Hope
  2. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me
  3. Blanck Mass - World Eater

Make sense. A brilliant album that’s very hard to listen to. Near unlistenble. No one will have a favourite tracks on it for example.

1. Pallbearer- Heartless
  2. Blanck Mass- World Eater
  3. Mount Eerie- A Crow Looked at Me

Good month.

1. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever ‘The French Press’
  2. Desperate Journalist ‘Grow Up’
  3. Kelly Lee Owens ‘Kelly Lee Owens’

Blanck Mass
Idles
Mount Eerie

Didn’t realise Blanck Mass was this month so good thing I skimmed other folk’s choices first…

1. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Damage And Joy
  2. Blanck Mass - World Eater
  3. Soulwax - From Deewee

1. Hater - You Tried
  2. You’ll Never Get To Heaven - Images
  3. Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens

1. British Sea Power
  2. Grandaddy
  3. The Shins
  4. Rolling Blackouts CF
  5. Real Estate

Thought it would disappoint, but ended up a decent month.

1. Laura Marling - Semper Femina
  2. Kelly Lee Owens - s/t
  3. Karima Walker - Hands In Our Names

1. Blanck Mass - World Eater

March has been a stellar month, huh? Gonna need to sift through this week’s releases before I respond here.

1. Spoon - Hot Thoughts
  2. Grandaddy - Last Place

To be honest Mount Eerie should be my #1, it’s a remarkable album but I can’t rank it on a list like this. Spoon are my favourite band so they’re getting my top vote.
Need to catch up on the Magnetic Fields & Kelly Lee Owens albums.

Same here.

Kelly Lee Owens - s/t
Blanck Mass - World Eater
Ben Frost - Fortitude OST

Special mention to Mount Eerie, whose album is absolutely incredible. But I can’t say I ‘enjoyed’ or will ever want to listen to it again.

1. Anjou - Epithymia
  2. Turinn - 18 1/2 Minute Gaps
  3. Temples - Volcano

new JAMC and Wire were way disappointing, and I didn’t have especially high expectations for either.

1. Nadia Reid - Preservations
  2. Idles - Brutalism
  3. The Bug vs. Earth - Concrete Desert