DiS Users' March 2020 Album Of The Month

Let’s try and think of something dumb and unimportant for five minutes like which album releases were good in March.

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My choices:

1. U.S. Girls - Heavy Light
  2. Porridge Radio - Every Bad
  3. Dogleg - Melee
  4. ??
  5. ??

The new U.S. Girls album is easily my AOTY so far. It may not have the one huge banger like Pearly Gates but overall it’s far stronger than her previous album for me.
Born To Lose and Denise, Don’t Wait are just stunning tracks. I’ve had it on repeat since its release. I’d give it a Pitchfork score of 9.2

Porridge Radio are brilliant. Seen them four or five times now and a hell of a live band. Their album is great too. One small issue I have with the new album is that it slightly lacks their grit and anger live. If you’ve never seen them live, then you don’t know what you’re missing and so instead give the album a spin. You’ll love it.

Dogleg album is good. For fans of Joyce Manor, Modern Baseball and Cloud Nothings (before they turned boring).

Waxahatchee and Basia Bulat albums are out tomorrow. Katie Crutchfield has a habit of producing one stunningly beautiful album after another. I’m hoping this continues with the new one.

I’ll adjust/add to my choices after tomorrow’s choices.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 5th April and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

4 Likes

Hoping for good things from Coriky tomorrow as well as Waxahatchee

Probably going to be Nap Eyes tomorrow tbf, but I’ve had too much on in March to listen to much newness

1 Like

Unless there is something absolutely stunning tomorrow. Jay Electronica is probably going to be number one for me.

Oooft

2 Likes

Can’t remember that happening. The Dogleg album is great though, Japandroids is another obvious comparison.

1 Like

Futuramafry.gif

2 Likes

An insanely good month (just when we needed one)

1. Waxahatchee- Saint Cloud
  2. Baxter Dury - The Night Chancers
  3. Jay Electronica - A Written Testament
  4. Horse Lords -The Common Task
  5. Shabaka and the Ancestors- We Are Sent Here by History

Also: Cornershop, Childish Gambino, Porridge Radio, Hilary Woods

1. bow church
  2. Chris Forsyth x Garcia Peoples
  3. Waxahatchee
  4. Childish Gambino
  5. Myrkur
1 Like
  1. Zelienople - Hold You Up
  2. Hilary Woods - Birthmarks
  3. Baxter Dury - The Night Chancers
  4. Violet Cold - Noir Kid
  5. Riz Ahmed - The Long Goodbye
1 Like

Waxahatchee.
Nap Eyes
Porridge Radio

1. The Big Cheese - Punishment Park (classic Old school Hardcore from Leeds)
    3.Helen Money - Atomic
  3. Dogleg - Melee
  4. Disq - Collector
1 Like

Not sure what happened with the numbering there. Dogleg should read 4 and Disq 5.

1 Like
  1. Porridge Radio - Every Bad (so so good)
  2. U.S. Girls - Heavy Light
  3. Dogleg - Melee
  4. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
2 Likes
  1. Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony
  3. Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas
  4. Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans
  5. U.S Girls - Heavy Light

Got a few on the back burner to listen to

Five of the best records of the month only came out on the 27th and I still need to order them… It will be tough.

Activity
Deeper
Dua Lipa
Sorry
Waxahatchee

1. Spectral Lore & Mare Cognitum - Wanderers: Astrology of the Nine
  2. bow church - The Spirits In This Forest Are Older Than Your Gods
  3. Human Impact - Human Impact
  4. Awenden - Golden Hour
  5. Huntsmen - Mandala of Fear
1 Like

Another stellar month for my tastes, really feel spoiled for music this year so far.

• Max de Wardener - Music For Detuned Pianos
  • Childish Gambino - 3.15.20
  • Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans
  • Porridge Radio - Every Bad
  • Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas

• Ian William Craig - Red Sun Through Smoke
  • Shabaka and the Ancestors - We Are Sent Here By History
  • U.S. Girls - Heavy Light
  • Baxter Dury - The Night Chancers
  • Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela - Rejoice
  • Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
  • Daniel Avery & Alessandro Cortini - Illusion of Time
  • Irreversible Entanglements - Who Sent You?
  • Sorry - 925

Cracking month, could easily do a top 10. Will need to do a little more whittling down before I commit!

Also everyone listen to Nap Eyes before you write your lists ta :slight_smile:

Four Tet
Nap Eyes
Waxahatchee
Dogleg
Islet

1 Like