DiS Users' March 2020 Album Of The Month

AOTY so far (by a distance)

1. DakhaBrakha - Alambari

2. Porridge Radio - Every Bad

3. Montevale - Figure And Ground

4. Clem Snide - Forever Just Beyond

5. Islet - Eyelet

Such a strong month. Plus it’s the first time I’ve bought downloads for all of my top five (from bandcamp and google play) in a long while. I’m trying to buy a bit more during this period of no touring (especially from bandcamp where possible)

DakhaBrakha have just the strangest most delighful album I’ve heard in a while. There’s one song that just reminds me of one of the bonkers tunes from Belleville Rendezvous, which is a good thing.

I wasn’t expecting to like Porridge Radio so much, but the songs are pretty catchy.

Montevale have released a lovely warm relaxed album. I think one of the duo is a philosophy professor, in case anyone wants some music by philosophy professors.

Clem Snide are americana kinda sounds, and released one of my most favourite albums twenty years ago. The first song, Roger Ebert, is excellent.

Islet - I discovered these guys from this board. Sounds like Beach House mixed with Youth Lagoon.

Other artists who could have been in my top five on other months: Lyra Pramuk, Deap Lips, Maxence Cyrin, JFDR, San Fermin, Caroline Rose, Yael Naim, Margaret Glaspy, Jacaszek.

Assuming you just discovered Islet recently, their earlier albums were more raucous and drum led, great fun

I’ve not heard their previous stuff yet. I’ll have a listen, ta! although I imagine I might like the raucous and drum-led songs less - I mainly like the strange sounds and tunes from their latest album.

1 Like

You’ve got about 20 minutes left.

For once, I’ve far more important things to do today :neutral_face:

(It’s very close between 1st and 2nd currently)

The Results

1st Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud 67 points
2nd Porridge Radio - Every Bad 66 points
3rd Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans 53 points

4th U.S. Girls - Heavy Light (38)

5th Baxter Drury - The Night Chancers (30)

Joint 6th Dogleg - Melee and
Nap Eyes - Snapshot Of A Beginner (both on 25)

8th Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony (23)

9th Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas (20)

Joint 10th. Albums by Bow Church, Childish Gambino and The Weeknd (all on 17)

12 Likes

Best month of the year so far

3 Likes

Big thanks again to @BMS1 for running these, and yeah, what a great month.

Just wondering if there is any interest in having a thread for people’s favourite tracks of the first quarter? Thinking maybe everyone votes 10 tracks, tally up the top 25 into a playlist and then repeat for Q2,3 and 4 to end up with a top 100 tracks of the year…

10 Likes

Damn, didn’t get mine in on time. Here they are anyway…

1. Milk Teeth
  2. Pearl Jam
  3. Porridge Radio
  4. Dogleg
  5. Code Orange

1. Dua Lipa
  2. Ringo Deathstarr
  3. Spectres
  4. Waxahatchee
  5. NIN

Other good stuff: Lil Uzi Vert, Anna Calvi, Stephen Malkmus, Blank Mass, Body Count

The year so far:

January 2020

1st Holy Fuck - Deleter
2nd Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
Joint 3rd Destroyer - Have We Met
and Georgia - Seeking Thrills
5th. Jeff Parker - Suite For Max Brown
6th Craven Faults - Erratics and Nonconformities
7th Alexandra Savior - The Archer
Joint 8th Algiers - There Is No Year
and Torres - Silver Tongue
10th Kiwi Jr - Football Money

February 2020

1st Against All Logic - 2017-2019
2nd Caribou - Suddenly
3rd Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven - We’re New Again
4th Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone
5th Soccer Mommy - Color Theory
6th Grimes - Miss Antropocene
7th Envy - The Fallen Crimsom
8th Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Joint 9th Agnes Obel - Myopia.
Bambara - Stray
The Orielles - Disco Volador

2 Likes

So I’d now have dogleg as my number 1 for sure. Pretty obsessed, and I’m pleased Banquet now have the vinyl available as it’s been hard to source a physical copy in the UK til now (for me at least).

In addition to the other reference bands mentioned here (Cloud Nothings, Japandroids) I’d also like to alert fans of the hotelier to this album. I feel like there’s a sense of collectiveness that reminds me of home like noplace is there.

3 Likes

Never heard of Dogleg before, this reminds me of shouty Idlewild for some reason.
That’s a big :+1: from me

1 Like

Yeah, big early idlewild vibes too (somewhere between captain and hope is important!)

I also learned of dogleg through this thread, so thank you to those who listed them here

1 Like

A bit late but for what it’s worth

1. Dogleg - Melee
  2. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
  3. Orchards - Lovecore
  4. Disq - Collector
  5. Brian Fallon - Local Honey

Really good month and listened to a lot

1 Like

The album hasn’t quite clicked as a whole yet, but Prom Hell is a great song. It reminds me of a beefed up version of Four Minute Mile era Getup Kids.

Great album closer too:

1 Like

The other 8 tracks are pretty great too :slight_smile: :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m getting there, it’s finally starting to click. Off the top of my heard Hotlines and Wrist are particular standouts as well.

1 Like

Thanks for pushing this, the whole thing is amazing and one of the best two or three albums of the year (and not just because we’re only four months in). I have no idea what took me so long.

1 Like

Can’t believe it won’t be top 3 in my end of year list - glad you’re liking it, @BMS1 thanks for putting it on my radar!