DiS Users' March 2021 Album Of The Month - The Results

The Antlers

1 Like
  1. The Anchoress - The Art Of Losing
  2. William Doyle - Great Spans Of Muddy Time
  3. DJ Muggs - Dies Occidendum

A few other albums that sound very good (Benny The Butcher, Noga Erez, Underground Youth, Genesis Owusu) but Iā€™ve not listened to them enough to rank.

1.Arab Strap - As days get dark
2. The Anchoress - The art of losing
3.A.A Williams - Songs from isolation
4.Lonely Dear - A lantern and the bell
5.Floating Points - Promises (Not spent much time with it yet but sure itā€™s going to be a belter )

1. Armand Hammer/The Alchemist - Haram
  2. YUNGMORPHEUS - Thumbing Thru Foliage
  3. Ill Considered - Band (Re)Selects
  4. Guedra Guedra - Vexillology
  5. serpantwithfeet - DEACON
1 Like
  1. Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders
  2. Not Waving / Romance
  3. Arab Strap
  4. Lost Girls
  5. Moss Covered Technology

See this album. Really enjoy it but then that song about fishing or whatever comes on and it sounds like George Ezra or something and i canā€™t skip it fast enough. What the hell?

The Lost Girls album is really good, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Iā€™ll do the count up tomorrow probably around 2pm-ish.

1. Lana Del Ray - Chemtrails Over The Country Club
  2. Kƶlsch - Isopolis
  3. Floating Points - Promises
  4. Kas - Like Sunlit Threads
  5. Lost Girls - menneskekollektivet

But to be honest, this month Iā€™ve been obsessing with Christian Lofflerā€™s Parallels: Shellac Reworks, which came out in Feb but passed me by then.
For me it falls somewhere between Nils Frahm and Jon Hopkins. Itā€™s a stunning album.

1 Like
  1. Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails over The Country Club
  2. Mint Julep - In a Deep and Dreamless Sleep
  3. Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders - Promises
  4. Arab Strap - As Day Gets Dark
  5. Tune-yards - Sketchy.

I was never not going to like a band called Mint Julep, but thankfully it also pushes all the right woozy buttons for the first good weather and downtime of the year.

Honourable mention to Valerie June. Not had chance to listen to Clark, Lost Girls, Antlers or Jane Weaver yet.

1 Like

Absolutely phenomenal month.

1: Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphonic Orchestra - Promises

2: Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark

3: Armand Hammer & The Alchemist - Haram

4: Parannoul - To See The Next Part of the Dream

5: For Those I Love - For Those I Love

Summary:
Floating Points exceeded even my wildest expectations. Just a phenomenally beautiful experience. It fits together so perfectly. Sanders rightly gets the attention, but Floating Points has really cemented himself as one of our boldest and most brilliant arrangers & artists. Heā€™s on some roll now, not a duff moment in his catalogue.

Never knowingly listened to an Arab Strap album, but this is incredible. Dark and dank but really human and relevant. Inspired me to investigate the rest of their catalogue, and opened up a whole new world for me.

Haram is brilliant. Experimental but accessible, fiercely contemporary but with an eye on the classics, The Alchemist compliments them brilliantly. Iā€™ve always admired Woods & Elucid without loving them, but The Alchemist adds something for me. Itā€™s not so brutal I guess. Itā€™s a really pretty record, and compliments their bite really well.

Amazed Iā€™ve not seen more love for Parannoul on here. FFO Slowdive & Smashing Pumpkins. Not normally my kind of thing so much but itā€™s great. I love how the tech canā€™t keep up with the sound, makes it so human.
This review is good if anyone wants to know more - & pay what you want on Bandcamp.

Was undecided on For Those I Love, thought it was a bit naff. And I still do in a way. But first full listen on headphones and I had a lump in my throat. Itā€™s staggeringly brave.

3 Likes
  1. Lā€™ImpĆ©ratrice - Tako Tsubo
  2. Leanne Betasamosake Simpson - Theory of Ice
  3. The Underground Youth - The Falling
  4. The Anchoress - The Art of Losing
  5. Mint Julep - In a Deep and Dreamless Sleep

Honorable Mentions:
Not Waving /Romance
Valerie June
Ed Dowie
Philip Kane
Esther Rose

3 Likes

A great month

Dvne
Ginghis Tron
Dust moth
Lycroiscrois
The horrors

1 Like

Couple of brilliant EPā€™s too that Iā€™ve discounted because I had too much that I havenā€™t seen mentioned.

Jab - Currents - https://ra.co/reviews/33729

Apparently Theo Parrish is a fan, can see why. Title track is incredible.

Jennifer Loveless - Water - https://ra.co/reviews/33734

Backroll Buddy off this probably my track of the year.

3 Likes

That Jennifer Loveless is great.

2 Likes

Beforehand I would have guessed this was the name of a terrible pop-country trio. Thankfully it is not.

1 Like

Ah, just checked the Bandcamp and obvs you are correct.

Yeah, itā€™s a great February one that we all seemed to miss unfortunately, myself included. Always wonder how much music like this is floating around out there and never gets heard.

Really nice opener:

This oneā€™s massive, feels like his big statement:

2 Likes

Adore White Ceiling.

And yes, itā€™s quite overwhelming to think about it really. I did wonder how this landed on P4Kā€™s radar, but glad it did, itā€™s phenomenal. So immersive.

2 Likes
  1. Harmony Woods - Graceful Rage
  2. Adult Mom - Driver
  3. MJ Lenderman - Ghost of your Guitar Solo
  4. IAN SWEET - Show me how you Disappear

Canā€™t pick a 5th