DiS Users' March 2022 Album Of The Month

VOTE FOR YOUR MOST STUPENDOUS TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. Nilüfer Yanya - PAINLESS

2. The Mysterines - Reeling

3. Matielle - Georgia Gothic

4. My Life As A Moth - Chest Of Dress Up EP

5. Oso Oso - Sore Thumb

I have Nilüfer Yanya’s new one as an early contender for my AOTY and easily the best of the year. I had her debut as 4th in the AOTM thread when released and I must have skimmed listened to it, liked it, intended to have gone back to it but never did. Big mistake on my part as it’s brilliant.

I put her music on shuffle during the tube strikes and loved it. In three days I think I must have heard her stuff for over 10 hours and after seeing her live twice this month I think I’ve spent over a day listening to her stuff in March.

PAINLESS seems effortlessly brilliant. Laid back and there’s a few music genres going on there too. The singles sound great and no fillers. Midnight Sun and anotherlife are two of the best tracks this year for me.

She’s great live and seems like a very down to earth modest person when she signed my CD at Rough Trade East gig. PAINLESS is heads and shoulders above anything released this month for me. The remaining 2nd to 5th positions are stuff I’ve liked but nothing massively.

The Mysterines is a straightforward female fronted rock band. Nothing new to see here but I like the singer’s voice and some good track and they’re probably a good live outfit.

The new Matielle is good. I’ll think whether to seem them live on the back of this album though. I was going to see My Life As A Moth as I liked her EP but the gig was cancelled last minute. Oso oso was an ok listen.

I don’t know what’s out tomorrow apart from Camp Cope. I’m a big fan and love their albums and live shows. Their release from 2018 was my album of the year and so have very high hopes for the new one.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 3rd April so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

2 Likes

got to wait till tomorrow because (based on what I’ve heard so far) I’ll be amazed if it’s not Loop.

Cracking month already, but Aldous Harding and Denzel Curry albums still to come.

1 Like

Yeah likely to be some big hitters coming tomorrow (Soul Glo, Animals As Leaders, Denzel Curry), but so far…

1. Rosalia - Motomami
  2. Fly Anakin - Frank
  3. Hot Water Music - Feel The Void
  1. Jenny Hval - Classic Objects
  2. Aldous Harding - Warm Chris
  3. Fatima Al Qadiri - La abuela OST
  4. Lucrecia Dalt - The Seed OST
  5. VA - Hallow Ground Presents EPIPHANIES

Seem to be getting into a 5 albums a month I love habit, which is good as it feels like a manageable amount but also wonder if it’s me subconsciously adapting to this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
  1. Stromae- Multitude
  2. Jenny Hval - Classic Objects
  3. Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez See Your Future
  4. Aldous Harding - Warm Chris
  5. TONE - So I Can See You

————

1. Rosalia - Motomami

Another absolutely brilliant month. Shaping up to be a great year. Any of my 2-6 could be a perfectly respectable AOTM in another month. Stromae is a phenomenon though.

Ah I need to check Stromae out - my partner is a big fan.

2 Likes
  1. Telefis - A hAon
  2. Charlotte Adigery - Topical Dancer
  3. Allegra Krieger - Precious Thing
  4. Aldous Harding - Warm Chris
  5. Yin Yin - The Age Of Aquarius

music is fun

2 Likes

Ridiculously strong month imho. Here goes…

1. Camp Cope - Running With The Hurricane
  3. Nilüfer Yanya - PAINLESS
  4. Widowspeak - The Jacket
  5. Barrie - Barbara
Honorary mentions
  1. supernowhere - Skinless Takes a Flight
  2. fennec - A Good Couple of Days
  3. Kindsight - Swedish Punk
  4. Ibibio Sound Machine-Electricity
  5. farewell alaska - Piano Songs
  6. Sooner - Days and Nights
  7. Karl Blau - Love & Harm
  8. U.S. Highball - A Parkhead Cross of the Mind
  9. Kristine Lescheper - The Opening, or Closing of a Door
  10. Aldous Harding - Warm Chris

Favourite release was Babehoven’s Sunk EP, but not counting that towards this list.

2 Likes

Hoping Nilüfer Yanya’s album makes the top 10 here.

1 Like
  1. Véhémence - Ordalies
  2. PLOSIVS - PLOSIVS
  3. Bâ’a - Egrégore
  4. Loop - Sonancy
  5. Kvaen - The Great Below

Also want to mention the superb debut Plague God by Absent In Body (was in the 5 but got bumped by Loop!), crushing sludgy post metal from members of Neurosis, Amenra and Sepultura.

2 Likes
  1. Stromae - Multitude
  3. ROSALÍA - MOTOMAMA
  4. Karl Blau - Love & Harm
  5. Nilüfer Yanya - PAINLESS

Five superb albums and the first possible AOTY contender this month. Stromae is a joy and totally addictive, Jenny Hval continues her strong run & Rosalia has sounded great blasted out in sunshine.

The new Karl Blau is gorgeous (reminded me of What Another Man Spills era of Lambchop) and Nilüfer just edges out Loop.

2 Likes
  1. Soul Glo - Diaspora Problems
  2. Rosalia - Motomami
  3. Fly Anakin - Frank
  4. Animals As Leaders - Pyrrhia
  5. Hot Water Music - Feel The Void
  1. Letting Up Despite Great Faults - IV
  2. Messa - Close
  3. Guerilla Toss - Famously Alive
  4. Loop - Sonancy
  5. The Scorpios - Let’s Go

Also enjoyed the following:

Zombie Zombie - Vae vobis
Jenny Hval - Classic Objects
Jeremiah Chiu & Marta Sofia Honer - Recordings from the Åland Islands
Apollo Ghosts - Pink Tiger
Midlake - For the Sake of Bethel Woods
Jawhar - Tasweerah
Destroyer - LABIRINTHITIS
Aldous Harding - Warm Chris
Croatian Amor - Remember Rainbow Bridge
Ed Schrader’s Music Beat - Nightclub Daydreaming
U.S. Highball - A Parkhead Cross of the Mind

1 Like

No one else enjoying the latest Skee Mask?

1. Skee Mask - A
  2. Charli XCX - Crash
  3. Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point
  4. Loop - Sonancy
  5. Dream Widow - Dream Widow

Not quite as good a month as Feb, but if there’s always one thing that gets me through the darker months at the beginning of the year it’s the sheer number of great new albums that get released :+1:

2 Likes

Only listened to the Skee Mask once and thought it was okay. I’ll go back to it but on 1st listen it sounded like quite a mild version of everything he’s done before.

Yeah, I can understand that - however, thought it might offer an easy ‘in’ for new fans as a result.

So much caps lock abuse this month

1. BODEGA - Broken Equipment
  2. Charli XCX - CRASH
  3. Destroyer - LABYRINTHITIS
  4. Damu the Fudgemunk - Laminated Skies
  5. PLOSIVS - PLOSIVS

And the rest

Summary
  1. Eades - Delusion Spree
  2. Charlotte Adigery - Topical Dancer
  3. Jenny Hval - Classic Objects
  4. Your Old Droog - YOD Wave
  5. Guided By Voices - Crystal Nuns Cathedral

ftfy

1 Like
  1. CMAT - If My Wife New I’d Be Dead
  2. Barrie - Barbara
  3. Charli XCX - Crash
  4. Destroyer - LABYRINTHITIS
  5. ROSALIA - MOTOMAMI

Quite like the Charlotte Adigery and Yumi Zouma albums too, Alex Cameron’s new one is a huge disappointment :pensive:

1 Like

didn’t even know there was one! Will get on it in a bit…