DiS Users' March 2024 Album Of The Month

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood

2. Sarah Shook and The Disarmers - Revelations

3. Bedbug - pack your bags the sun is growing

4. Saint Saviour - Sunseeker

5. Ride - Interplay

A quiet month for me but…

The new Waxahatchee is great. It still hasn’t completely clicked for me yet though. I had the same thing with Saint Cloud which then became a great listen and brilliant listening companion during the first months of Covid and since.

She’s one of my big hitting artists and according to Last.fm my 5th most played artist and I was slightly star struck during her Rough Trade signing event in January. Her three of Cerulean Salt, Ivy Tripp and Out In The Storm ranks amongst the best three album run by any artist for me. Out In The Storm is my absolute favourite and A Little More and Fade my favourite song of hers from that album. Her non-album tracks are brilliant too and can also make Jessica Simpson songs sound absolutely stunning…have a listen:

I’m a big fan of Sarah Shook and loved her gig last year. Her new album’s more of the same great country rock.

Bedbug is excellent bedroom, indie folk rock and got the recommendation from someone from here and so thank you to them. Saint Saviour is great woozy pop. Like that one too. Ride’s new album is surprisingly not too shit.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked. Not sure what’s out tomorrow. I’ll see what you guys are listening to. I’ll have to check out the new Ride album as I’ve tickets for their Rough Trade East show on Monday. I hope he’s given up on wearing that hat.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 7rd April and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases if there’s anything out before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

5 Likes

1 Adrianne Lenker - Bright Future
2 Julia Holter - Something In The Room She Moves
3 Magana - Teeth
4 Yard Act - Where’s My Utopia?
5 Bolis Pupul - Letter To Yu

3 Likes
  1. Dödsrit - Nocturnal Will
  2. Acathexis - Immerse
  3. Severoth - By The Way Of Light
  4. Pink Milk - Night On Earth
  5. Pissed Jeans - Half Divorced

Good month, the top three were all released in the same week!

getting in the draft 5 before release day tomorrow

1. Waxahatchee - Tiger’s Blood
  2. Rosie Tucker - UTOPIA NOW!
  3. Halo Maud - Celebrate
  4. Mannequin Pussy - I Got Heaven
  5. Bull - Engines of Honey

Hon mentions: Astrel K, Milc, sleepingdogs, Chuck Strangers, Torrey

5 Likes
  1. Waxahatchee
  2. Yard Act
1 Like

See below

4 Likes

Waxahatchee - Tigers’ Blood

Kim Gordon - The Collective

First time I’ve remembered to vote and I’ve barely listened to anything new this month :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Please listen to Rosie Tucker if you haven’t! Think you’ll be a fan

2 Likes
  1. Faye Webster - Underdressed at the Symphony
  2. Rosali - Bite Down
  3. Kim Gordon - The Collective
  4. Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood
  5. Bull - Engines of Honey
1 Like

Jlin - Akoma
Julia Holter - Something in the room she moves
Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood
Kim Gordon - The Collective

everyone should listen to the jlin album

8 Likes
  1. Adrianne Lenker - Bright Future
  2. Yard Act - Where’s my Utopia?
  3. Everything Everything - Mountainhead
  4. Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood
  5. Kim Gordon - The Collective
4 Likes
  2. Itchy & The Nits - The Worst Of Itchy & The Nits
  3. Rosie Tucker - Utopia Now!
  4. Spaced - This Is All We Ever Get
  5. Sam Evian - Plunge
1 Like

+1

Actually I’d switch Waxahatchee and Julia Holter

1. Tierra Whack
  2. Waxahatchee
1 Like
  1. Gouge Away - Deep Sage
  2. Another Sky - Beach Day
  3. Moor Mother - The Great Bailout
  4. Mannequin Pussy - I Got Heaven

Not a lot of spread in listening time, but some pretty great picks to keep coming back to.

2 Likes

Imagine the collaboration:

Tierra Whaxahatchee

1 Like
  2. Adrienne Lenker - Bright Future
  3. Julia Holter - Something In The Room She Moves
  4. Kim Gordon - The Collective
  5. Mannequin Pussy - I Got Heaven

Best month that I can remember for aeons. Top 2 will likely figure in my end of year top 5, while the Julia Holter record gets better on each listen.

4 Likes

Have any men made albums this month?

1 Like

What. A. Month.

1: Dj N Fox: Cha Preto
2: Milkweed: Folklore 1979
3: DJ Anderson Do Paraiso: Queridao
4: Jlin: Akoma
5: Groundsound: Working Progress

Top 3 might end up being all-timers for me. DJ N Fox (feel a bit uncomfortable writing the whole thing out) is one of the most distinctive, unique electronic albums I’ve heard in years - stretching that Principe sound into really, weird, unique places - a really beautiful, strange, alien record that I’ve just been obsessed by. Speaking of weird - Milkweed is 11 mins of frazzled, Lynchian folk, feels so big despite its tiny runtime - really creates its own world. And didn’t know anything about Baile Funk before DJ Anderson Do Paraiso, but this is so visceral and guttural - the MC’s are all so distinctive even though I don’t understand the words - it’s a new sound on me, and one I’ve become totally fascinated by (great new scene comp out on NTS today too if you like this).

Jlin might be her best yet, and Groundsound (Gavsborg from Equiknoxx) is just so bright and fun but carries such depth in it’s party anthems…

Not found room for Adrianne Lenker, Julia Holter, Tyla, Heavee, Ganavya, Tierra Whack, Kim Gordon or the magic new Wisdom Teeth comp - Club Moss - either. Really enjoyed all of those too. Crackers.

9 Likes
  1. Adrianne Lenker
  2. Sam Evian
  3. Waxahatchee
  4. Daniel Romano
  5. Milkweed
1 Like