Patience - Dizzy Spells
Nots - 3
Drahla - Useless Coordinates

Not yet listened properly:
Pip Blom
Sacred Paws
Psychedelic P0rn Crumpets
Gnoomes

I haven’t! I think they’re one of those bands that I keep meaning to try but then forget and then when I do I get interrupted and forget again. Trying it out now and yeah, that first song seems to be exactly my kind of thing. Thanks!

2 Likes

Haven’t voted yet, so CRJ for me, thanks.

Got distracted by GBV so i haven’t explored things as closely as I’d like, but for now anyway

1. Big Thief
  2. Glow
  3. Pile
  4. The National
  5. I Love Your Lifestyle

Gnoomes and Slingshot Dakota both seem very good too

Really good month.

1. Holly Herndon - PROTO. Adore this and it reminds me of what I liked so much about Platform. The way she uses voices, musically disconnected from meaning.

2. Efrim Menuck & Kevin Doria - are SING SINCK, SING. Surprised not to see this coming up for anyone else. Full of shimmering beauty.

3. Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation. Only listened to this because I saw it mentioned upthread and glad I did. Thanks DIsser.

Also enjoyed Big/Brave and Big Thief.

If there’s still time, can it change to

1. Big Thief
  2. Gnoomes
  3. The Glow
  4. The National
  5. Pile
1 Like

THE RESULTS
1. Big Thief - U.F.O.F. 116 points
2. The National - I’m Easy To Find 60 points
3. Tyler, The Creator - Igor 40 points
4. Holly Herndon - PROTO 35 points
5. Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride 34 points
6. Carly Rae Jepson - Dedicated 31 points
7. Madonnatron - Musica Alla Puttanessca 29 points
8. Cate Le Bon - Reward 28 points

Joint 9th Hayden Thorpe - Diviner and
Petrels - The Dusk Loom both on 26 points

3 Likes

The year so far:

January 2019

1. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time
  2. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
  3. Better Oblivion Community Centre - S/T

4th Deerhunter - Why Hasn’t Everything Already Disappeared?

5th Mailibu Ken - S/T

6th Press Club - Late Teens

7th James Blake - Assume Form

8th A.A. Williams - S/T

Joint 9th. Julia Kent - Temporal
Angelo De Augustine - Tomb

Februrary 2019
1st Julia Jacklin - Crushing

2nd The Spielbergs - This Is Not The End

3rd Desperate Journalist - In Search Of The Miraculous

4th Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth

5th Beirut - Gallipoli

6th Teeth Of The Sea - Wraith

Joint 7th Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock
Savage Mansion - Revisions Ballads

9th Nivhek - After Its Own Death / Walking In A Spiral Towards The House

Joint 10th.
Ladytron - Ladytron
Panda Bear - Buoys
Theon Cross - Fyah

March 2019

1. Helado Negro - This Is How You Smile

2. Self Esteem - Compliments Please

3. These New Puritans - Inside The Rose

4. Little Simz - Grey Area

5. Sasami - Sasami

6. The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery

7. Solange - When I Get Home

8. CHAI - Punk

9. American Football - LP3

10. Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 1

April 2019

1. The Chemical Brothers - No Geography

Joint 2nd. Aldous Harding - Designer
Fontaines DC - Dogrel

1. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
  2. Kelsey Lu - Blood
  3. Waste Of Space Orchestra - Syntheosis

Joint 7th. Heather Woods Broderick - Invitation
PUP - Morbid Stuff

9th. WH Lung - Incidental Music

10th. Rozi Plain - What A Boost

4 Likes

Me too. I thought it was picking up a fair number of votes, but obviously not enough. It’s a really good record. This has been a really strong month in terms of DIS-friendly releases but it’s still disappointing (but not massively surprising, given the history of this thread) to see Slowthai not even make the top ten.

I have got much more into rap /hip hop in recent years but I still really struggle with rappers with English accents for some reason. I know it’s a failing on my part but… It’s something I haven’t got over yet.

I frustrate myself because I HATE it when singers use a faux American accent so I’d always much rather hear English people sing with their own scenes so I don’t know why I can’t accept English rapping but it just really grates on my ears. One day.

That said I have been loving the little simz lp so clearly there is hope for me

1 Like

I think the best half of the Little Simz album is great but I find that some of the tracks have too many edges smoothed off for my taste. The Slowthai album is uncompromising and consistently great.

The results nearly always surprise me - often end up being quite a bit more mainstream indie then I’d expect but hey this is an indie forum so fair enough! Thought the response to the National had been muted but clearly not and maybe just an album a lot of dissers have been waiting for.

Must have missed April’s results - amazed by The Chemical Brothers.

Just the nature of a collective vote surely? Unless it’s a really low scoring month the top vote getters will be consensus album that either lots of people love or enough people in third for it to all add up. Everyone hear will probably give the Big Thief, National and Vampire Weekend albums so they at least get that expose - if many fewer people even listen to Slowthai, for example, in the first place then they’ll never climb that high up the scores.

This is all stuff you know word for word I’m sure, not sure why I thought you needed it explained haha. Soz oops

This is obviously right to a degree, but still slightly disappointing given that this is a self-selected jury of people who consider themselves music enthusiasts. Twenty years ago when you basically had to buy records to hear music you would expect people to stick to what they know, These days there’s really no reason not to listen to a variety of music.

1 Like

Yeah absolutely - I think part of it is also maybe people comment more on the less obvious releases, which is great as it helps us all discover amazing new music but then I get surprised that i.e. The National gets more votes than Holly Herndon, but of course the fan base isn’t remotely comparable so it’s just me being dumb.

1 Like

I think you overlook that some people just don’t want to? I get where you’re coming from, but I do think you hold people to quite high standards in that regard (no bad thing), when even on here for many people (me included usually) a “variety” means new bands but playing the type of music you like or are comfy with. I basically skip over every techno or dance suggestions because very few do much for me. Come the end of the year I end up loving the few most commonly referenced ones because I go back to them. But in a weekly thread, where I have three album by bands I like, 5 by bands that sound similar to ones I like based on user comments, a few that just have a good name etc etc … then I have one week to listen to 10 albums plus spotify playlists plus old favs … the time and energy for music that I might not enjoy so is a bit of a “risk” is greatly diminished.

I know I have that surprise when I see some of the box office numbers for Moonlight or Manchester by the Sea etc. versus some really terrible, no-name throwaway rom com that came from nowhere and made 10 times as much money - so we all have our blindspots!

1 Like