DiS Users' May 2020 Album Of The Month - The Results

Vote for your favourite albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

My choices:

1. Darren Hayman - Home Time
  2. Austra - HiRUDiN
  3. Melenas - Dias Raros
  4. Retirement Party - Runaway Dog
  5. The Magnetic Fields - Quickies

A huge honorable mention to Erik Hall’s album Music For 18 Musicians which has been very calming and soothing for the last few weeks. It’s monster monster.

Probably the strongest month for me overall this year.

Darren Hayman is my top pick. I’ve seen him live loads of times and he always comes across as one of life’s nicest blokes. The new album is beautifully simple/simply beautiful with its melodies and as usual the lyrics are as sharp as ever. A lovely warm album and backing vocals from Hannah Winter and Laura K give the melodies even more warmth. Darren Hayman again proves that he’s one of the most underrated British artists of the last 20 years.

The new Austra album may well be her best yet. Her usual electro-pop but some brilliant folk and orchestral sounds in there too. The track All I Wanted is the highlight on the album for me and a work of beauty; one of the best tracks this year.

I have to thank @deviant for the heads up for the Melenas album as I hadn’t heard of them before then. It’s Spanish rock/shoegazing and reminds me of Linda Guilala in parts. Excellent summer music.

Retirement Party is the usual 90s female fronted indie rock sound that I always enjoy. They sound a cross between the band That Dog and Jenny Toomey’s Tsunami if anyone remembers either.

The new Magnetic Fields is hit and miss for me. Definitely more hits than misses but always glorious when they hit.

I’ll adjust/add to my choices after tomorrow’s releases maybe but probably not. Not sure what’s out tomorrow apart from Nicole Atkins’ new album.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 7th June and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

3 Likes

Before we start can anyone clear up whether the Mogwai soundtrack counts as May. As far as I remember it was on bandcamp last week in April but then seemed to be officially released and available for streaming in May

I don’t have any hard and fast rules on when an album’s physical/digital release counts.

If you’d like to vote for it in May then I’m happy to count it.

1 Like
  1. White Denim - World As A Waiting Room
  2. Car Seat Headrest - Making A Door Less Open
  3. Chicano Batman - Invisible People
  4. Clap! Clap! - Moving On (EP)
  5. Moses Sumney - grae

need to listen to Moses properly, just not been in the mood for big deep emotionally involving music this month really

Really digging the White Denim album, think you’d really like the new Woods record too Gert.

1 Like

I’ll check it out! At first glance the artwork seems promising. Yeah I think the lockdown deadline thing shook WD up a bit, always enjoy their records but this one seems to have some different magic about it. Apparently they were working on a ‘heady prog’ album before they did this, so hopefully that’s not far down the road either

1 Like

Fallen a bit behind with White denim in recent years in all honesty, think I checked out Performance but other than that I think the last record of theirs that I was into was D. Any gems that I’ve missed out on in the years between?

Yeah Woods tend to always have great artwork except for Love is Love which I found mostly a bit dull. This record is more in the vein of the jazzier grooves they were finding on City Sun Eaters.

1. Owen Pallett
  2. Perfume Genius
  3. Carly Rae Jepsen
  4. Charli XCX
  5. Moses Sumney

Great month

1. Austra - HiRUDin
  2. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B
  3. Perfume Genius - Set Fire to My Heart Immediately
  4. Car Seat Headrest - Making a Door Less Open
  5. Moses Sumney - Grae

Very nice month!

2 Likes
  1. I Break Horses - Warnings
  2. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Mosaic of Transformation
  3. Austra - Hirudin
  4. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately
  5. Moses Sumney - Grae

bandcamp day has totally done me for keeping track of new music this month. Too much stuff and can’t remember what’s new or just new to me.

Definitely May 1st for bandcamp day.

good month.

1. Pure X
  2. Spirit Fest
  3. Tidiane Thiam
  4. Melenas
  5. India Jordan

Honourable mentions:
Aksak Maboul
Jeff Rosenstock
Luke Schneider
Buscabulla

1. Perfume Genius
  2. Ka
  3. Sparks
  4. Austra
  5. Young M.A.

With an honourable mention for. Erik Hall’s recording of Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians.

Not a vintage month. Really like my top 3. The Austra and Young M.A. albums are good but not as good as previous stuff by either.

I’ll definitely be checking RP out as a result of this comparison, ta

Ummmm

1. Diet Cig - Do You Wonder About Me?
  2. 2nd Grade - Hot To Hit
  3. I Break Horses - Warnings
  4. Happyness - Floatr
  5. Jess Williamson - Sorceress
1 Like
  1. Charli XCX — How I’m Feeling Now
  2. A Place to Bury Strangers — Rare Meat (doesn’t count)
  3. Nation of Language — Introduction, Presence

good reminder about Happyness, love that record

2 Likes
  1. Happyness - Floatr

Light month, I guess… Happyness, on the other hand, is like some divine blend of Sparklehorse, Elliott Smith and Yo La Tengo, and highly recommended if you like any/all of those three.

3 Likes

not a vintage month for me, think 1 and 2 are the only ones that will stay in rotation past early June

1. Jeff Rosenstock - No Dream
  2. Chris Forsyth - Techno Top: Solar Live vol 4
  3. Paradise Lost - Obsidian
  4. Mogwai - Zero Zero Zero
    5 . Regis - Hidden In This Is The Light That You Miss
1 Like