DiS Users November 2016 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:

Unfortunately nothing. I’ve been to a lot of gigs this month and have been catching up on those bands’ album before seeing the gigs and haven’t heard anything new this month I think. I look forward to your choices and hopefully I’ll get some good recommendations.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 4th December and so you’ll have over a week to listen to today’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here…Thank You 4 Your Service
  2. Justice - Woman
  3. Honeyblood - Babes Never Die

1. DIANA - Familiar Touch
  2. Dawn Richard - Redemption

1. Roger Goula - Overview Effect - beautiful mix of orchestra and ambient synth, sitting somewhere in the middleground between Richter and Stars of the Lid. Themed around the story of an astronaut overlooking the earth. Brilliant Debut.
  1. The Tape Loop Orchestra - The Invisibles

2. E - E (can you get a harder band to google?) new collab from 3 seasoned musicians, they share vocal duties, which is imho occasionally to it’s detrement but the energy is spot on. Always though the karate drummer was great.

Also enjoyed…
Soft Kill - Choke, one for the shoegazers and i would have thought fairly dis centre.
Adam Wiltzie - Salero - great OS but (understandably) does feel like a soundtrack to me, short songs, short length.
Radian - On Dar Silent Off - another Thrill Jockey release like E, but sonically v. different. Instrumental almost post rock style with cavernous electronics.

1. Ulrich Schnauss - No Further Ahead Than Today
  2. 1991 - No More Dreams

The Ulrich Schnauss album is just a delight. So much going on, utterly devoid of subtelty, but it somehow holds together as one of the most joyous electronic records in a long time.
1991 is a lovely slice of ambience.

Sex Swing - s/t
Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones
This Becomes Us - s/t

Sleigh Bells — Jessica Rabbit

1. Mother Love Bone - On Earth As It Is: The Complete Works
  2. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here…
  3. Metallica - Hardwired…
  4. This Be The Verse - This Be The Verse
  5. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

Nothing much to say about Mother Love Bone…the precursor to Pearl Jam but an awesome awesome band in their own right. Apple was always a classic but great to hear the looser/bluesy jams of the unreleased stuff. Metallica was solid. Probably their best since the Black Album but needs some editing. This Be the verse would have been my AOTM but I wasn’t sure of the release date. It’s listed as October in some places even though it didn’t appear streaming until November. Definitely check it out if you like the idea of early NIN mixed up with a bit of Hawkeyes. Was surprised by the Bruno Mars album. Really good album with an ‘Off The Wall’ type vibe.

I’ve yet to listen to this, really need to get on it

1. Radian - On Dark Silent Off
  2. Owen Ambarchi - Hubris
  3. Wolf People - Ruins

1. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here…

And thats it. Quiet month.

Planning on giving these two a listen this week.

1. This Becomes Us - S/T

Really not listened to much this month. Huh. Just been going over The new Truckfighters one and Red Fang really.

Question: can we have EPs or not?

1. Lambchop- Flotus

Wonderful album.

1. Wave Pictures - Bamboo Diner in the Rain

Haven’t listened to the Tribe Called Quest album yet but am expecting that to be my third choice. Not much else this month.

Not heard a lot of new stuff this month but these 2 are both contenders for top 10 AOTY for me.

1. Lambchop - Flotus
  2. Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Until The Hunter

The Lambchop album is particularly excellent, their best since Nixon.
Looking forward to hearing the Tribe Called Quest album.

Iggy Pop Barker’s album came out months ago.

1. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here
  2. Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation
  3. Honeyblood - Babes Never Die

Ulrich Schnauss - No Further Ahead Than Today

somehow forgot about this. Would put ti ahead of that Ambarchi album I listed if it’s not too late.

you do. you really, really do.