DiS Users' November 2017 Album Of The Month

Last one of the year.

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:

1. James Holden & The Animal Spirits - The Animal Spirits

2. Exploded View - Summer Came Early

3. Converge - The Dusk In Us

4. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest

5. Mavis Staples - If All I Was Was Black

A brilliant album by James Holden. Probably will be in my Top 10 of the year. Something new with each listen. Never heard of him before the reviews of this album. Glad I gave it a listen after the general praise for the album.

Really loved the Exploded View EP. Hopefully, a full album out next year.

Converge was just fun.

A good Charlotte Gainsbourg album but unfortunately nowhere good as IRM which was fantastic.

Mavis Staples’ is just a great fun old school soul record.

I’ll check out tomorrow’s releases to see if there’s anything that will change my choices. The Beach House rarities/b-sides compilation will be interesting. Not sure that else is released tomorrow.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 3rd December and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

Hey @BMS1 cheers for doing this all year! Couple of questions…

1. Will you be doing the DiS AOTY poll? (No pressure - youve done more than enough - just wondering if I may need to volunteer).

2. Do you think it’s worth doing a separate poll where we pick albums from the DiS Album of the Month threads? Or is that too much

I guess it would probably be easier to do a poll based on the album of the month lists? People will want to share their own lists though and we’ll end up with 500+ albums only getting 1 or 2 mentions but often those are the most infesting records people have missed.

So perhaps the voting thread should be based upon the monthly polls…with a separate thread for people to maybe add their own top ten (including rarer picks)?

There’s another user who’s brilliant at doing the AOTY poll. She/he deserves a hell of a lot of praise and drinks as it must take hours and hours to do.

I’m afraid I don’t have the time to do a huge free for all end of year one. I do a mid-year but even that’s a slightly cheeky/lazy one as the choices of albums to vote from are those from the AOTM threads; it’s not a free for all.

I wonder if that user will be doing the big end of year again. (Again, no pressure.) I hope so.

I’ll do a yearly one based on the AOTM threads. I can manage that. I wouldn’t have the time to do a huge free for all vote though with hundreds and hundreds of albums mentioned.

I’ll wait and see. I’ll do the yearly from the AOTM threads in a few weeks unless someone volunteers for the big free for all. If they do I’ll step aside. Mine would quite rightly be a “second rate” poll and it’s messy having two polls on the boards.

The forum album of the year polling thread (2016)
  1. Converge - The Dusk in Us
  2. Golden Teacher - No Luscious Life
  3. Spinning Coin - Permo

wee late resurgance from Scotland there

1. King Gizz - Polygondwanaland
  2. OCS - Memory of a cut off head
  3. Mammal Hands - Shadow work

all really great

1. Chaos Moon - Eschaton Mémoire
  2. Converge - The Dusk In Us

Don’t think I’ve heard anything else released this month, partly because I’ve not been able to stop listening to No.1

1. Liima - 1982

2. Power Animal - Good Wind Pt.1

3. Bibio - Phantom Brickworks

4. Adian Baker / Simon Goff / Thor Harris - No Place

Good month, with a potential AOTY bothering number 1:

1. James Holden & The Animal Spirits - The Animal Spirits
  2. Sufjan Stevens - The Greatest Gift
  3. Slow Meadow - Costero

A few to look forward to in December, Laurel Halo and that Tom Rogerson (from Three Trapped Tigers) + Brian Eno collaboration especially. @BMS1 - thanks for doing this again, top work!

Oh and Bibio is great too, but I’ll stick with this three.

I’ve done it the last few years. Happy to pick it up again this year. I’ll start a new thread when we hit December.

It isn’t actually that bad, the majority of time formatting the raw data is spent on the minority of responses that don’t fall into the requested format and need to be manually changed. One of the most fun bits (for me, anyway) is not discovering that Father John Misty/War On Drugs/whoever are popular but it is seeing those albums on the outer reaches that have a load of enthusiasm for them (aka the Adebisi Shank award. They had an average score of 5.0 form the few people that voted for it. Think Desperate Journalist won it one year too).

Quicksand
Angel Olsen - Do comp’s count?
Converge

I’ll allow it. It’s stuff not released/heard before. It’ll count.

Thought I had my top 3…but totally forgot there’s a new SM album out! S/t was fantastic

Also, brilliant news @Prob500 :slight_smile:

1. Björk (bit of a cheat, I’ve not really listened to it enough yet but I have faith)

2. Princess Nokia (yes I know it’s sort of a reissue, but it’s the first physical release and is almost twice as long as the mixtape version so I’m counting it as a new release)

3. James Holden

1. Angel Olsen

2. Golden Teacher (really good record, fans of things like Factory Floor and Hot Chip should have a listen)

Strong month:

1. Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band - Adios Señor Pussycat (as always with Mick Head, criminally unnoticed).

2. Sufjan Stevens - The Greatest Gift

3. Quicksand - Interiors (Walter Schreifels doing what Walter Schreifels does)

4. Husker Du - Savage Young Du (does this count?)

5. The Cornshed Sisters - Honey & Tar (ex-Kenickie member, plus involvement from Field Music - good stuff)

Agree with bornin69x - decent month (again) and share the love for Golden Teacher, but they don’t quite make my top 3. which follows, along with the also rans.

1. OCSMemory of a Cut Off Head
  2. Angel OlsenPhases
  3. Spirit Fests/t

1. DillonKind
  2. The Stroppiess/t
  3. Golden TeacherNo Luscious Life
  4. Escape-ismIntroduction to Escape-ism
  5. Peter OrenAnthropocene

1. Converge
  2. Angel Olson