DiS Users' November 2019 Album Of The Month - THE RESULTS

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!
VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

I’ve often wanted to award points to my 4th and 5th favourites especially on strong months for releases and wasn’t able due to my own rules and they end up as honourable mentions.

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message

My choices:

1. Pumarosa - Devastation
  2. Maija Sofia - Bath Time
  3. Sudan Archives - Athena
  4. Upset - Upset
  5. Hannah Diamond - Reflections

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 8th December and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1. Maija Sofia - Bath Time
  2. Jeffrey Lewis - Bad Wiring
  3. Careerist - Weird Hill
  4. Have a Nice Life - Sea of Worry
  5. Jogging - Whole Heart
  1. Stenny - Upsurge
  2. Giant Swan - Giant Swan
  3. Marcus Hamblett - Detritus
  4. Lee Gamble - Exhaust
  5. Andy Stott - it should be us
1 Like
  1. Billy Corgan - Cotillions
  2. Greet Death - New Hell
  3. Have a Nice Life - Sea of Worry

The new album by Billy is fantastic. The pivot to Americana could have easily been a disaster, but I think he absolutely pulled it off while putting his own stamp on it. You can tell he was feeling inspired. I struggled with it a bit at first and thought he had forgotten the melodies aside from a few songs, but with multiple listens they really start to reveal themselves. Many of the songs that initially felt like padding are now among my favorites. I think if people go into this with an open mind and some patience, they’ll find a real gem of an album.

Greet Death was a nice surprise for me, I’d never listened to them before and they’re perfect for this time of year. Cold, loud, crunchy, plodding (in a good way), melodic, and sad, but something about the chords feel very warm too. Fans of heavy, slow shoegaze should like this.

The new Have a Nice Life is a great blend of propulsive and atmospheric songs. At this point the first half still feels considerably stronger than the second, but it’s absolutely worth listening to.

Great month.

1 Like

Good month. Which is something of an understatement, and even more ridiculous given the riches this year has delivered:

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
  2. Anna Meredith - FIBS
  3. FKA Twigs - MAGDALENE
  4. A Winged Victory For The Sullen - The Undivided Five
  5. Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
  1. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
  2. Tindersticks- No Treasure but Hope
  3. Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka

Quieter month for me (although all three albums are pretty great tbh tbf) - suspect that December may be a wilderness…

1. Richard Fearless - Deep Rave Memories
  2. Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
  3. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
  1. Mount eerie - lost wisdom pt.2
  2. fka twigs- magdalene
  3. Sean Henry - a jump from the high dive
  4. Young guv - II
  5. Turnover - altogether

I think nick cave was last month ( but it is my favourite album of the year I think)

1 Like
  1. Mount Eerie
  2. Sudan Archives
  3. Tindersticks
  4. Andy Stott
  5. Jeffrey Lewis

Physical release date was 8/11/19

2 Likes
  1. Max Cooper - Yearning for the Infinite (I urge anyone that likes Jon Hopkins to listen to this)
  2. Karenn - Grapefruit Regret
  3. Giant Swan - Giant Swan
1 Like

That’s fine, but almost everyone heard it in October, no? Just feels like a wasted vote.

1 Like
  1. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
  2. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - The Undivided Five
  3. Mount Eerie/Julie Doiron - Lost Wisdom pt. 2
  4. Anne Müller - Heliopause
  5. Low Roar - ross.

People can vote for what they want innit. If they held off listening to it until it’s physical release, by all means vote for it this month

2 Likes

Very true.

I’ve not really listened to anything this month and didn’t vote for Ghosteen last time round, so might put it as my #1.

Not really a fan of it tbh

1 Like
  1. FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
  2. M. T. Hadley - Empty
  3. Vegyn - Only Diamonds Cut Diamonds

I don’t consider an album ‘out’ until I can literally hold it in my hands. Obviously this doesn’t count if an album is digital only, but generally I feel if the only place you can hear an album is via streaming, it’s a pre-release.

It’s not going to be top of my list but I think Billy’s album will make my top 5. I actually think that some of the songs, despite being tagged as ‘Americana’, could easily fit in with the B-sides he released during the Mellon Collie era, especially the acoustic songs on the tonight, tonight singles.

1 Like