DiS Users' November 2022 Album Of The Month - THE RESULTS

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. First Aid Kit - Palomino

2. Big Joanie - Back Home

3. Sarathy Korwar - Kalak

1. ?

2. ?

A quiet month for me.

Didn’t like the new First Aid Kit album on first listens but revisited it after a brilliant gig at Village Underground. A very good album it turns out; not a patch on The Lion’s Roar but that’s a hugely special album for me.

The new Big Joanie is great. Seen them live twice after their album launch at Rough Trade East. Seem like a lovely bunch and there’s some great tracks on it.

Liked Sarathy Korwar’s new one but only only heard it once and that’s another I’ll definitely go back to.

Nothing else really grabbed me much. Gave the new Weyes Blood album as I’ve a ticket for her gig next year. Her Front Row Seat To Earth album was stunning and the follow up was good but not great for me. The new one just bored me. Sounded like outro music to a slushy or cheesy Netflix film but nothing good like The Princess Switch series but something rubbish. Inevitably I’ll revisit before the gig.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked. Not sure what else is out tomorrow except so I’ll see what you guys come up with.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 4th December and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1. Weyes Blood - And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow
  2. Malibu - Palaces Of Pity
  3. Tenci - A Swollen River, A Well Overflowing
  4. Anna Of The North - Crazy Life
  5. Carla Dal Forno - Come Around
1 Like

lots of relistens to come plus tomorrow’s releases, but for now

1. R.A.P. Ferreira - 5 to the Eye with Stars
  2. Hyd - CLEARING
  4. AKAI SOLO - Spirit Roaming
  5. Meryl Streek - 796
2 Likes

I’m still finding amazing albums from October that I missed, let alone chasing this month. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Just jumping in prematurely to say that while it was initially confusing, repeated listens have revealed the new Pumpkins “1/3rd of an album” to be great.

1 Like

That Hyd record is brilliant, might make my #1.

1 Like

How many listens did it take? Unfortunately it still sounds like a piece of shit to me after 3 listens. They are my favourite band and so I’m not a pumpkins hater, but I just fail to see how ANY of this album can be called great.

Any of the 100s of B-sides that Billy was spewing out for fun in the 90s would beat this. Perhaps he should have done what some authors have done in the past, and hoarded material to release at a later date once the creative juices dried up. He had enough 5 star material written in the early days to keep them in decent albums for years.

1. The Smashing Pumpkins - ATUM Act 1
  2. Homeboy Sandman - Still Champion
  3. Julie Campiche Quartet - You Matter
  4. RAP Ferreira - 5 to The Eye With Stars
  5. Macie Stewart - Mouth Full Of Glass
2 Likes

I listened one time a day 4 days in a row and then gave it a several day break. Think on listen 4 it was pretty good but inconsistent, listen 5 it was mostly good, listen 6 it was great and now I can’t get anything out of my head. Not going to pretend I love it in the same way or at the same level that I do the original run of course, but as a standalone album I think it’s very good and enjoyable.

Agree about the quality of everything in the 90s of course. It probably would have been better for his longterm reputation to have done what you’re suggesting but I don’t think he’s built that way - despite his (completely justified) fixation on legacy, I get the sense he always needs to be creating and pushing himself in an uncomfortable direction. I personally love that he’s done things the way he has though because it means we got both a) the completely unparalleled massive and otherworldly A+++ release cycle of the original run and b) the still great post-reformation output which I also love and honestly am listening to constantly.

Reckon

1. Richard Dawson - The Ruby Cord
  2. Tenci - A Swollen River, A Well Overflowing
  3. Clara Dal Forno - Come Around
  4. Orchid Mantis - How Long Will It Take?
  5. Personal Trainer - Big Love Blanket

Also recommend Slaney Bay - A Life Worth Living, an EP, for any Wolf Alice fans.

1 Like

1.Richard Dawson - The Ruby Chord
2.Weyes Blood - And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglo
3.Dreams Unending - Songs Of Salvation

These are pretty much the only albums I liked this month, but fortunately they’re all terrific.

Mount Kimbie shades it thanks to the Dom Maker half of the record, but nowt really between the 2-5 spots.

1. Mount Kimbie - MK 3.5: Die Cuts | City Planning
  2. Sarathy Korwar - Kalak
  3. Romare - Fantasy
  4. Drowse - Wane Into It
  5. Daniel Avery - Ultra Truth
1 Like

Yeah not the greatest of months:

1. Daniel Avery - Ultra Truth
  2. Sunda Arc - Night Lands
  3. Dumb - Pray4Tomorrow
  4. Heather Trost - Desert Flowers
  5. Drowse - Wane Into It
1 Like

This is very good - cheers

1 Like

:raised_hands:

1 Like
  1. Desquamation (Fire, Burn. Nobody) - Rainy Miller
  2. Memorial - THUS LOVE
  3. 11 - Sault
  4. Endure - Special Interest
  5. And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow - Weyes Blood

not seeing much to grab me from Friday’s releases, so i’ll just do some juggling of the order. Nothing to love this month, but a strong bunch of very good albums

2. AKAI SOLO - Spirit Roaming
  4. Hyd - CLEARING
  5. Meryl Streek - 796

Richard Dawson will be great I’m sure, but not had the energy to get to it yet!

1 Like
  2. Mount Kimbie - MK 3.5: Die Cuts | City Planning
  3. Ben Lamar Gay - Certain Reveries
  4. Akai Solo - Spirit Roaming
  5. STR4TA - STR4TASFEAR

Ezra Collective and Underground Canopy just miss out.

1 Like
  1. Tenci - A Swollen River, A Well Overflowing
  2. Caitlin Rose - CAZIMI
  3. Horse Lords - Comradely Objects
  4. Daniel Avery - Ultra Truth
  5. Ezra Collective - Where I’m Meant To Be

Bubbling - First Aid Kit, Actress, Arovane/Taylor Deupree, all them Sault albums (or was that last month? ) Also…Bruce Springsteen wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. Need to give Richard Dawson a listen

1 Like

November finally slowed down with the new releases, but there was still some great stuff.

7 Likes