DiS Users' October 2017 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:
1.?
2.?
3.?

I’ve 12 gigs booked in October and have spent almost all my listening time this month in familiarizing/re-familiarizing myself with the artists I’m seeing and haven’t heard too many new albums this month. I hope to get some recommendations from you guys and hopefully I’ll have a few choices before the deadline for voting.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 5th November and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1. John Maus - Screen Memories

After a couple of storming months, I don’t seem to have listened to much this month. Is there usually a drop-off in new releases around this time of year? Anyhoo…

1. Andrew Hung - Realisationship
  2. Baxter Drury - Prince Of Tears
  3. Fever Ray - Purge

1. Kelala - Take Me Apart
  2. Circuit Des Yeux - Reaching for Indigo
  3. Spotlights - Seismic

1. St Vincent - Masseduction
  2. Destroyer - Ken
  3. Flat Worms

Slowish month after the glories of September, but the St Vincent record is superb.

Not a lot this month warrants a nomination/vote. Wolf Parade, I guess. Maybe St Vincent. Will need to sit on it for a few days…

I thought this was another great month, probably the 2nd best one behind September. Strange Ranger and Billy Corgan are easily in my top 10 of the year, and both might even sneak into the top 5. I’ll give the #1 spot to Strange Ranger since they never went on Infowars and because they’re fantastic and no one seems to be listening to them.

1. Strange Ranger - Daymoon
  2. Billy Corgan - Ogilala
  3. Wolf Parade - Cry, Cry, Cry

If you like the sadder parts of early Modest Mouse, you need to give Strange Ranger a shot. Basically two kids who formed a band over their love of it, but unlike a lot of newer bands who focus primarily on imitating a sound from an era, they really understand what made the songs great and are able to do it themselves with their own spin on it. Can’t think of a newer band who’s better at writing genuine melodic, sad songs. I have a new favorite one every day, today it’s “Most Perfect Gold of the Century”.

And Corgan wrote a song of the year candidate in “Archer”. He’s still got it.

This is maybe a little premature but

1. Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
  2. Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band - Adios Senor Pussycat
  3. St Vincent - Masseducation

1. Valiska - On Pause
  2. Alessandro Cortini - Avanti
  3. Mariam the Believer - Love Everything

the top 2 are straight in to my top 5 ambient, electronic type releases of the year.

1. St Vincent
  2. Wolf Parade
  3. Baxter Dury

Need to give fever ray a few more listens.

Fever Ray possibly making a late bid for my top three. Didn’t much like it at first, but it’s a definite grower.

Spotlights

Eyre Llew

and maybe Fever Ray. Still mulling this over.

A. Savage
Out Lines
St Vincent

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith
St Vincent
Lindstrom

The Alessandro Cortini album is amazing. Will need to check out Valiska on this basis.

Crazy how much less busy this thread is than September’s. Wasn’t a banner month that’s for sure.

It is indeed, Valiska has similarities but is different too, can be quite desolate stark and sad but optimistic. It’s got a lovely and pretty unique moog synth tone running throughout. Although it’s cleaner overall it reminds me quite a bit of tape loop orchestra - in a lonely place, which is one of my personal favourites.

Julian Baker- Turn Out The Lights
Destroyer- ken
Out Lines- Conflats

I’d like it if the Out Lines album scrobbled correctly to Last.fm though

Although, to be fair, it isn’t even the end of the month yet. Some decent releases, I thought, this month, especially last Friday (Daniel Luppi/Parquet Courts/Karen O, Julien Baker, Out Lines). I currently have 11 albums on my playlist from this month. So, pretty good.

But, granted, it was always going to be difficult to to match September (22 albums on my playlist).

Anyway, I want to spend another weekend with the most recent releases before casting my vote on this thread (@BMS1 permitting). Still finding it difficult to whittle down my 11 to 3.

I usually count up on Sunday afternoons around 1pm-ish.