DiS Users' October 2018 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:

1. Cat Power - Wanderer
2. Kristen Hersh - Possible Dust Clouds
3. Adrianne Lenker - Abysskiss
4. Swearin’ - Fall Into The Sun

The releases on 5th October were brilliant and they made my top picks. I wasn’t too sure about the new Cat Power album but turns out to be one of her best albums. Her Roundhouse show was damn good too. I’m off to Kristen Hersh’s Rough Trade East gig tonight and that album is as strong as any Throwing Muses album. Great month (or rather week) for releases.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 4th October and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Glad this is going to be open for another week or so as based on your choices I’m going to have to give Cat Power and Kristin Hersh another go. Have listened to them both but not returned. Swearin and Adrianne Lenker are two of my favourites this month so to see your choices above them makes me want to go see if I’ve missed something. Also this has been a ridiculously strong month for me for releases

Our tastes seem to overlap quite a bit. What else have you been a fan of?

For me this month in addition to the two above I’ve also really liked:
Weakened Friends (retro grunge trio)
Yowler (I think you’ve mentioned being a fan of the dbl whammy label so will prob have heard this)
Strange Ranger EP (built to spill influenced garage rock)
Young Jesus (post rock indie mash up)
Phosphorescent
Fucked Up
Cloud Nothings
Kurt Vile

Ah ok, nothing I’ve not heard there. That young Jesus record is great

1 Like

:unamused:

1 Like

Yeah nothing too obscure just some cracking records from pretty established acts. Agree on the overlapping tastes, I’ve picked up a few from your weekly releases posts this year👍

1 Like

TBF a lot of it came from Goldflakepaint, small albums or The Grey Estates

1 Like

Since we have a lot of overlap too and since it’s being released on an off day, I thought I’d mention the new Stove album is coming out on 10/31. I’m excited given how good the Ovlov reunion album is and how great the best material was on their 2016 EPs.

1 Like

Nice one cheers for this, really enjoyed that Ovlov record but that was the first I’d heard of them. Will be sure to check it out

4th November.

1 Like

I really like Weakened Friends. I think they’re doing a free gig at Old Blue Last soon; don’t like that unfortunately. Always a rowdy early 20s crowd for free gigs at that venue. I’ll stay at home with my cocoa and werthers’ originals that night.

Soap & Skin and Laura Gibson albums will be released tomorrow. Definitely no voting for me until I’ve listened to them!

1.Cool Sounds - Cactus Country
2.The Last Hurrah!! - Los Angeles
3.Crepes - In Cahoots

4.Papercuts - Parallel Universe Blues

Ooft this week has been the best week of music/month of music in recent memory and has shaken my list to it’s core

1. Soap&Skin - From Gas To Solid/You’re My Friend
  2. Daughters - You Won’t Get What You Want
  3. The Residents - Intruders

Honorable mentions: Robyn, NAO, Cypress Hill, Fucked Up, Parcels, Clarance Clarity, Kero Kero Bonito

this is going to be tough one. It’s been the best month of the year for the sheer volume of quality records released, especially by female artists for some reason - great records by Robyn, Cat Power, Adrianne Leneker, Boygenius, Amber Arcades, St Vincent. Also really like the B.E.D. and Ghostface albums.

Going to spend a bit longer with the late month releases before I try to put them in order.

1 Like

Don’t forget Soap&Skin.

That one will change my original top 3. Not sure if it’s number one or two currently.

Also need longer to digest this week’s releases before committing to a top 3.
There will be potential personal AOTY candidates not in my final top 3 such is the quality of the month’s releases.
Surprised that the new Neneh Cherry hasn’t been mentioned yet, it’s a gem. I see it as a companion piece to Four Tet’s last album.

And Laura Gibson. Definitely worth a listen if you haven’t yet. Not sure whether it will be her or Soap&Skin as my number one.

Nope. Haven’t checked out Laura Gibson but will do. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like