DiS Users' October 2021 Album Of The Month - THE RESULTS

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

A strong month for me.

My choices:

1. Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure

2. Audiobooks - Astro Tough

3. Shannon Lay - Geist

4. Lana Del Rey - Blue Bannisters

5. The Courettes - Back In Mono

Her debut was in my Top 5 of 2019 and the new Self Esteem album is brilliant. A lot of DiS-ers may well have heard the album and so point in me writing about the style of music. Great polished production, big pop anthems and even a lovely slow one at the end. Great gig last week and the songs come over even better live with Rebecca Taylor’s big smile, warmth and enthusiasm as a live performer.

Really love the Audiobooks album. A quirky electro pop band with vocals that I’d describe as a mixture of a strict school teacher shouting at her pupils or a pissed off young schoolgirl shouting at her fellow pupils or shouting back at her teacher. Either way, the vocals and lyrics are great as is the album.

Shannon Lay’s Geist is a quiet acoustic album. It can sort of pass you by on first listen as there’s no stand out tracks. It’s kind of samey but it’s terrific samey. I’ve probably listened to it several times twice over and loving it whilst I walk around outside or plodding around indoors.

Lana Del Rey does LDR. The usual formula. Norman Fucking Rockwell is one of the best albums of the last 10 years and her previous one earlier in the year was brilliant. This one is a sort of b-sides to the Chemtrails. Still good but she’s set herself a very high bar.

If you like retro style rock with a White Stripes set up with heavy nods to The Ronettes production then give The Courettes a listen. They won’t change your life but you’ll get to listen to a fun bubblegum retro rock pop album.

I’ll be interested to see what’s out tomorrow and if anything will change my current top five.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 7th November (the evening this time as I have stuff to do in the afternoon) so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

4 Likes
  2. W.H Lung - Vanities
  3. Sam Fender - Seventeen going under
  4. Pink Pantheress - to hell with it
  5. Jarvis Cocker - Chansons
3 Likes
  1. Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasue
  2. aya - im hole
  3. W H Lung - Vanities
  4. Grouper - Shade
  5. Tirzah - Colourgrade

Definitely been too much good stuff this month

2 Likes
  1. Autumn Nostalgie - Ataraxia
  2. Alda - A Distant Fire
  3. The Wolf Garden - Woven of Serpent’s Spines
  4. Pink Milk - Ultraviolet
  5. Ross From Friends - Tread
1 Like

Could happily make a top 15 this month

3 Likes

1.Karen Peris - A song is way above the lawn
2.Hand Habits - Fun House
3.Marissa Nadler - The path of the clouds
4.La Luz - La Luz
5.Grouper - Shade

The Karen Peris album was such a great surprise and has now led me down an Innocence Mission sized rabbit hole. Loving the two most recent ones which seem to be in a similar vein to her solo album.
People wank on about how great the War On Drugs album is but Hand Habits does something similar in a far more interesting way and thank God not sounding like Brian Adams.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just don’t know if I’ll be able to do top 5 this month.

Silly month

2. Charlotte Cornfield - Highs in the Minuses
  3. illuminati hotties - Let Me Do One More
  4. Hand Habits - Fun House
  5. Lunar Vacation - Inside Every Fig is a Dead Wasp

With honourable mentions to

Summary

Le Ren
Hovvdy
Old Man Of The Woods
Ducks LTD
Dean Wareham
Adeline Hotel
Grouper
Helado Negro
Dog Daisies
Shannon Lay
22° Halo
Orchid Mantis
Parquet Courts
Good Morning
Furrows

2 Likes
  1. Parquet Courts - Sympathy For Life
  2. Tirzah - Colourgrade
1 Like
  2. Vanishing Twin - Ooki Gekkou
  3. Lana Del Rey - Blue Bannisters
  4. Tirzah - Colourgrade

Really surprised by how great the Self Esteem record is.

1 Like

Wow, what an excellent album title!

What do they sound like rich-t?

Lush indie pop I suppose. Won’t be to everyone’s liking, but I like it (obviously)

1 Like
  1. Matt Maltese - Good Morning It’s Now Tomorrow
  2. Xenia Rubinos - Una Rosa
  3. JPEGMAFIA - LP!
  4. Bedouine - Waysides
  5. Hayden Thorpe - Moondust For My Diamond

Diverse top five this month, with the bouyant melodies of Mr Maltese floating him into the prime spot. Still figuring out how I feel about JPEGMAFIA but enjoying getting my head round it

1 Like
  1. The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - Illusory Walls
  2. Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World
  3. Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure
  4. The War On Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore
  5. Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under

TWIABP really took me out, didn’t have high hopes for it after their last one, but it feels like a career best, and is genuinely in with a shot of being my album of the year.

Magdalena Bay is not a pop album you want to sleep on, like if Chvrches took some of the fun, carefree attitude and humour of Kero Kero Bonito and PC Music affiliates, think it’s pretty immaculate and the sequencing and transitions between songs are pretty immaculate.

Self Esteem and TWOD you probably can make your own decisions on, but I really quite like them, and kudos to Sam Fender for a real, catchy, heart on sleeve effort.

5 Likes

Busy month. Sure I’ve missed lots.

1. Tirzah - Colourgrade
  2. Vanishing Twin - Ookii Gekkou
  3. Grouper - Shade
  4. Marja Ahti - Still Lives
  5. Clarice Jensen - Identifying Features OST

Really liked Tirzah’s debut but prefer the overall sound of this. Has just been an album I’ve reached for a lot since it was released. The other albums could be in any order as I really like them all but haven’t really listened enough to rank. Like one of her other short & low key releases (Drone Studies) I’ve a feeling Clarice Jensen may end up a favourite.

1 Like
  1. The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die
  2. Julia Shapiro
  3. Parquet Courts
  4. Ross From Friends
  5. Tonstartssbandht
1 Like

Oh god, I’m not going to be able to un-hear this now…

It’s crazy. Everyone knows that The War on Drugs sound exactly like Dire Straits.

1. Efterklang - Windflowers
  2. Kalabrese - Let Love Rumpel (part 1)
  3. Helado Negro - Far In
  4. Karen Peris - A Song Is Way Above The Lawn
  5. Mess Esque - Mess Esque

A very strong month, including a whole bunch of other albums and EPs I’m too lazy to type out. Possibly my favourite month of the year.

1 Like

Good month

2. Vanishing Twin - Big Moonlight
  3. Dean Wareham - I Have Nothing to Say to the Mayor of LA
  4. Ducks Ltd - Modern Fiction
  5. Shannon Lay - Geist

Close: Parquet Courts

Need more time with LDR and Lily Konigsberg