DiS Users' September 2017 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices:

1. Shilpa Ray - Door Girl

2. Annie Hart - Impossible Accomplice

3. Alvvays - Antisocialites

4. Susanne Sundfor - Music For People In Trouble

5. Myrkur - Mareridt

An excellent month for me. Shilpa Ray’s album is such fun. I haven’t seen many reviews of it at all which is a huge shame. A brilliant brilliant album. A mixture of doo-wop and garage rock sometimes in the same song. The album definitely needs checking out if you haven’t heard it. EMT Police Fire Department EMT Police Fire Department EMT Police Department.

Annie Hart of Au Revoir Simone’s album is great. Basically if you liked Au Revoir Simone you’ll like this. Alvvays’ album was a very good second album. Not as good as their debut but very good nonetheless.

I’ll check out tomorrow’s releases to see if there’s anything that will change my choices. Wolf Alice being the big one that many will be interested in.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 8th October and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

1. Susanne Sundfør - Music For People In Trouble
  2. The Horrors - V
  3. Metz - Strange Peace

1. The National - Sleep Well Beast
  2. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
  3. Sparks - Hippopotamus

Honourable mentions (as it was an insanely strong month) Sløtface, Big Brave, Hundred Waters, Shenandoah Davis, LCD Soundsystem, Alvvays, Mount Kimbie, Open Mike Eagle, Metz, The Horrors, The Golden Messenger, Phoebe Bridgers

Superb month:

1. LCD Soundsystem- American Dream

2. Sparks - Hippopotamus

3. The National- Sleep Well Beast

4. The Clientele- Music for the Age of Miracles

5. Hannah Peel - Mary Cassio

6. Susanne Sundfør - Music for People in Trouble

7. Mogwai - Every Country’s Son

Almost all of those records would have made my top three in most months.

I didn’t realise until just now that Torres’ new album is out tomorrow. That and Wolf Alice may change my top 3.

Still have Vessels, Ben Frost and Four Tet to come out tomorrow so will be holding off for a while

1. OMD - The Punishment of Luxury
    Yes, really. An amazing return to form.
  2. Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun
  3. Cut Copy - Haiku From Zero

1. Helpless - Debt
  3. Death From Above - Outrage! Is Now

Bicep - Bicep
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
The National - Sleep well beast

1. The Horrors - V
  2. Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
  3. Metz - Strange Peace

1. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson

3. Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

4. Omni - Multi-task

5. Metz - Strange Peace

Really enjoyed LCD Soundsystem, The Bronx and WITTR also but with so many good releases this month I haven’t found time to give GY!BE, Shilpa Ray, Susanne Sundfør, Zola Jesus or Mount Kimbie the time they probably deserve.

1= The National & LCD Soundsystem- can’t separate them at this early stage.
3 Alvvays

Need to make a change please… spoke/posted too soon. Just listened to Susanne Sundfør’s album three times back to back. Sweet Jesus what an amazing album, astonishingly beautiful

1. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson

2. Susanne Sundfør - Music For People In Trouble

3. Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun

4. Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

5. Omni - Multi-task

6. Metz - Strange Peace

Noted

1. WITTR - Thrice Woven
  3. Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

Still need to listen to Godspeed, The National and Metz

Thought LCD Soundsystem would be absolutely walking this…

1. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
  2. Tricky - Ununiform
  3. Prophets Of Rage - Prophets Of Rage

Do you know what, I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly listened to Susanne Sundfør but DiS bloody loves her. Should probably get involved…

For me Clive, it’s got to be :

1. Beaches : Second Of Spring
  2. The Horrors : V
  3. Alvvays : Antisocialites

Susanne Sundfør’s album Ten Love Songs is amazing. Check that out first. It’s brilliant.

Crazy good month for me, albums that barely make an Honourable Mention would probably be in the Top 3 for most months this year.

So I’m just going to go by what I’ve listened to most.

1. Slotface - Try Not To Freak out
  2. The Bronx - V
  3. Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun

But man, Myrkur, WITTR, National, Chelsea Wolfe, Phoebe Bridgers, Godspeed, Metz…bonkers.

And that’s not even taking into account The World Is a Beautiful Place… which I’m assuming has a good chance of going top 3, but I haven’t listened to it yet.

1. LCD
  2. GY!BE
  3. Lomelda