6. LCD

7. Godspeed!

8. Metz

good month

What a great month for albums!

1. The National - Sleep Well Beast
  2. Alvvays - Antisocialites
  3. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger In The Alps

The horrors just miss out and I need to give Vessels, Wolf Alice and Protomaytr proper listens this weekend

Some great albums this month, hard to whittle down to 3.

1/ LCD Soundsystem
2/ The National
3/ Godspeed!

Have also enjoyed Mogwai, Metz and The Horrors.

DONā€™T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

1 Like
  1. Msafiri Zawose - Uhamiaji - great afro boogie from a Tanzanian thumb piano master
  2. Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
  3. Princess Nokia - 1992 Deluxe

Gave it a listen today as Iā€™m also new to her. From a newb point of view Iā€™d say you donā€™t really need to listen to it first. The new one is just out of this world

Album of the year contender

These three are all AOTY contenders, what a month!

1. Death From Above - Outrage! Is Now
  2. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
  3. Omni - Multi-task

Honourable mentions to The Horrors and Vessels

A popular AOTM thread already. 28 or so replies with over a week before I count the votes.

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting a weekā€¦thereā€™s been too many good releases to decide yet

2 Likes

True. A very strong month. Thereā€™s loads of albums mentioned already that I havenā€™t heard of.

1. LCD
  2. Alvvays
1 Like
  1. Loney Dear - Loney Dear
  2. The National - Sleep Well Beast
  3. Lotte Kestner - Off White
  4. Alex Cameron - Forced Witness

Loney Dear will surely be high up in my top 5 at the end of the year. Beautiful beautiful album.

Just a heads up. Iā€™m going to change my ranking at some point because I just heard the Sussane Sunfor album (thanks to this thread) for the first time and itā€™s going to skyrocket to number 1.

But no lists yet because Iā€™ll probably end up changing again, so ignore my first one.

2 Likes

Itā€™s so so good!

1.Mogwai - Every Countryā€™s Sun
2.The National-Sleep Well Beast
3.Susan Sundfor-Music For People In Trouble
4.Godspeed You Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers
5.Chelsea Wolfe - His Spun
6.Protomartyr - Relatives in Decsent
7.Kiran Leonard - Deveraun Seraun

This month has been so insane Iā€™ve had to take out a subscription with Prime Music, simply canā€™t afford to buy all these releases. Big disappointment for me was the Metz album. Seemed a perfect match with Albini but definitely no In Utero which I thought might be possible.

No mentions yet of the Re-TROS album Before the Applause, which is shaping up to be my album of the year. This is some seriously amazing electronic post-punk from Beijing:

2nd goes to Duds (Of A Nature or Degree) and 3rd goes to Protomartyr.

1 Like

Music for People in Trouble is brilliant. I think a few people are disappointed with the deviation from synthpopā€¦but Iā€™d say itā€™s just as good as Ten Love Songs

1 Like

hard to order these top 3, all brilliant.

1. Mount Kimbie - (most likely to get other votes so putting this top) real grower no duff tracks, that king krule track is one of the top tracks of the year for me, particularly love the kickin it cure style 2nd half.
  2. Secret Pyramid - Two Shadows Collide - his last album is probably my 5th favourite ambient drone record, on first impressions I think this might top it.
  3. Tape Loop Orchestra - Solar Light Emissions - (3lp/2cd box set) 4 hrs of beautiful electronic ambient drone.

big shout outs for lali puna, prawn, the blow, ben frost and gybe! which on any other month could have been up there.

LCD
Vessels
Mogwai
Paradise Lost
Arcane Roots

That was an amazing month for music.